AKSA amps in Orion Speakers

andrewbee

« on: 15 Jun 2003, 04:44 pm »
I think Hugh would be quite chuffed to see this one, AKSA's driving Linkwitz Orion speakers, thought to be best sound of the show.
 Scroll down to see the speakers.

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/rep_NoCal2003.shtml

Andrew

PaulB

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2003, 03:31 am »
I am running a pair of Orions using 3 AKSA's and they do sound rather good. The 55 watts are the best match for mids/highs and the 100 watt really drives the lows (I am running in parallel). In my opinion the 100w has significantly better bass.

Only problem is the tranparency means upstream components should be very high quality. Which is why my next project will be a GK-1 (waiting on the remote option).

Paul

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2003, 12:00 pm »
Andrew, George, Paul,

I'm chuffed as hell!    :thumb:

Very nice job done by Mr George Cherhit, of Sacramento, a hewer of metal extraordinaire - a really good craftsman's assembly.

Nice to be teamed up with Mr Linkwitz, something of a legend in this industry!    :thankyou:

Cheers,

Hugh

MickA

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2003, 10:57 pm »
Everybody who hears these Orions seems to think that they are amazing, so I'd love to build a pair - but it won't be for a while. They're not cheap...

I already have a 100W AKSA, and I'm wondering whether one would be enough to drive the dipole basses in parallel. SL recommends one amp for each driver, due to a 2 ohm load when connected in parallel (despite the drivers being 8 ohm). Sounds like PaulB is happy. Any comments?

Also, anyone have an Orion in Melbourne that would be happy to receive a visitor carrying a couple of bottles of something for a listen...

Mick