THX ULTRA 2 - SP2

brucek

Re: THX ULTRA 2 - SP2
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2006, 03:32 pm »
Do you think a software upgrade offering EX without the flag would be welcome?

Yes, I think so. If I'm able to force THX Surround EX with Dolby 5.1 material and DTS-ES Matrix for all DTS 5.1 material, why not allow the force to Digital EX. Seems an obvious extension (unless there is some licensing restriction)..

brucek

MOZ

« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2006, 07:44 am »
I James,

Does the SP2 upgrade needs some time to get softer/smoother ?
I find the hights to be a bit too detailed... and with big power, become kind of tiring.
Will i have different results in 2 weeks or won't it move ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2006, 11:01 am »
HI MOZ,

I have not had that feedback about the Hi frequencies on the SP2 before but as any electronics break in they tend to smooth out and become more coherent.

Have a look at what the reviewer in Stereophile said about the highs -on the page 4 - to the right of the picture of the SP2 - with the song 'Frankie Goes To Hollywood' - http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/SP2STEREOPHILE.pdf

james
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2006, 11:13 am by James Tanner »

sikoniko

« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2006, 12:08 pm »
I James,

Does the SP2 upgrade needs some time to get softer/smoother ?
I find the hights to be a bit too detailed... and with big power, become kind of tiring.
Will i have different results in 2 weeks or won't it move ?

as it break in, everything gets better!

MOZ

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2006, 09:49 am »
I must also try to forget about the PROCEED AVP2 sound (that i still have in my ears) 'cause i had it for 3 weeks at home.
This pre was so perfect and soft, that must be part of my "uneasy feeling" at the moment...
If it doesn't get smoother, we'll try to check back the EQ and correct what must be, anyway  :roll:

I've tried some more testing with some SW II (the chase, at the factory) and LOTR 2 (the swamp, the ent) and what is coming out is :

- faster respons of the system
- greater calculating (it feels a bit like the huge MC12, but not as much :green:)
- better handeling of complicated tracks, feels easier even if it's "hot" on screen (like some SW)...
- better channel separation (James do you have comparative numbers on that (before/now) ?)
- more natural sounding
- more fusion on the surrounds + EX, resulting in greater immersion
- bass seems a little better handled too

I'm waiting for a bit more overall softness, but that's all for the claim  :green:
I'm gone enjoy this new pre !  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2006, 12:25 pm by MOZ »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2006, 11:57 am »
HI MOZ,

You have an EQ unit in line with the SP2?

james

MOZ

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:21 pm »
Yes,

5.1 graphic EQ with an AUDIOCONTROL THE BIJOU THX...
My retailer corrected the room (it's his job), and the SP1.7/SP2 works great in here !
I also tried the MC12 and the AVP2 with this correction, reveling only their capacities, not my system defaults  :green:

That's why i'm very very interrested by your commitment on the parametric EQ thing for the SP2  :thumb:
It could be only better that what i've got know and would stay all the way digital !

I can be a beta-tester if you want  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:45 pm »
Hi MOZ,

Have you listened to your system without EQ?
What frequencies are you EQ'ing?
Does the EQ unit have a bypass switch?

james

MOZ

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:52 pm »
No i didn't...
It does have a bypass...
We're EQ'ing the sub, of course  :green: but also around 100-200Hz on the 3 fronts and we had some loose on the surrounds (open space)...
I'll check tonight without the EQ, but, we will certainly do a test and do the adjustments if the problem comes with the EQ.
But, what surprises me, is that the MC12 and the AVP2 were PERFECT with this correction.
It shouldn't affect the pre, normaly...

But James, it works great like that, i just want to find some kind of "ultimate" setting :roll:

http://www.hometheateraudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_id=19888

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2006, 01:38 pm »
Hi MOZ,

OK let me know how it goes.

james

MOZ

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2006, 08:28 am »
Hi everybody,

The SP2 gets smoother as time passes, it was almost perfect last night with a french "moody" film.
The dialogues were very very impressive and the stage was much deeper than with the SP1.7 !
I'm starting to find this new pre more efficiant than the AVP2, it details everything in such a way... i find there some of the brilliant qualities of the MC12 !!!
Very well done, James  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 6 Sep 2006, 12:04 pm »
Hi everybody,

The SP2 gets smoother as time passes, it was almost perfect last night with a french "moody" film.
The dialogues were very very impressive and the stage was much deeper than with the SP1.7 !
I'm starting to find this new pre more efficiant than the AVP2, it details everything in such a way... i find there some of the brilliant qualities of the MC12 !!!

Hi MOZ,

Enjoy sir.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:10 pm »
Hi everybody,

Hi MOZ,

Further thoughts on your comments.

One of the things I think the SP2 does better than most is RESOLVE nuances. The ability to allow one to listen into a 3 dimensional sound stage was always the Holly Grail in the good old days of stereo and achieving that goal in a surround processor is not an easy task. I feel that what really makes the SP2 unique is the dedication to AUDIO first and formost.

james

TT9

« Reply #33 on: 6 Sep 2006, 04:52 pm »
MOZ,

Apologies to hijack the thread slightly  :(, as you are quoting experience with the MC-12, would you be so kind as to write an honest critique to how you believe the SP2 stacks up against the Lexicon for HC. Appreciate stereo/analogue pass thru etc., the Bryston leaves it dead it the water, but is the MC-12 still top of the HC tree ?

Have been stalling for AGES between the two products. Another opinion to confuse the issue would be welcomed.

Thanks Kindly,
Steve.

MOZ

« Reply #34 on: 6 Sep 2006, 07:22 pm »
Hi Steve,

It's not that easy to tell you about things like that in english, it's not my mother tongue  :roll:
But i'll try to express myself in the most proper way...
Let's say i had a SP1.7 (for 2 years), a MC12 (for 3 monthes), an AVP2 (for 3 weeks) and then a SP2 for a week...
So, it's not that simple, i didn't discovered the SP2 yet, just "feel it" if you understand what i mean...

Anyway, in a stereo way, there is no better pre than the SP1.7/SP2 (or you have to spleet things, a 2 channel system and a HT system), the analog stage is a wonder that not even the AVP2 can beat. The MC12 does a wonderful job, but it's too much analytic and neutral, a bit cold and there is something missing that James and his folks found with the SP2  :thumb:
Let's say the Bryston does know music  8)
The MC12 goes further in the analytic way (i heard unbelievable things with it !) but doesn't make your tears to come...
The AVP2 is just perfect, a bit soft, but as i said before it is the most enjoyable pre i have yet being with.
It's always easy and cool. It shines on every part, stereo and HT and is a wonder of equilibrium...

On the HT thing, there is no way the MC12 can be beaten, sorry James  :oops:
It is just HUGE...
The calculating power of that thing is insane !
It is the faster pre i have heard to date...
In multichannel, everything is a wonder, bass is phenomenaly integrated (is this right in english ?), clarity is at his best and everything feels real. It is terrific in terms of emphasis and reality !
I believe only the N°40 can give you something higher in terms of performances (i should hear that one too very soon my retailer has sold some :)).

BUT the good part is that the SP2 seems to have inherited some of the big power capacities of the LEXICON pre and reveals a wonderful analytic behavior (the nuances James was talking about). It is a bit slower than the MC12 but for me it shines so much better in the 2 way that the balance goes for it.
Understand me right, if you want an ultimate HT, go for the MC12, it will damn you but if you want the both worlds in one... here you go !
The new SP2 gets what i hoped it would have, the very impressive HT force of the MC12, the right equilibrium of the AVP2 and it's own wonderful 2 channel analog.
What can you want more (apart from EQ, HDMI 1.3 and native DTS-HD  :green:, but James is handeling this for us, isn't he  :green: :green: :green:) ?

I'm pleased with it, you should be...
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2006, 07:41 pm by MOZ »

MOZ

« Reply #35 on: 6 Sep 2006, 07:43 pm »
As i said yesterday, i'm just starting to discover this wonderful SP2 and so, my judgment toward the MC12 could change during the forthcoming weeks :)
And listening to some music last night (2 channels only), i can tell it really starts to find its right equilibrium now. :icon_lol:

I listen to some BEN HARPER, FINLEY QUAYE, CASANDRA WILSON and other things like that, and... what a new world came to my ears  :o
The digital 2 channel of the SP2 has also much much improved, i couldn't believe it !
I have to use it because my system is a THX one, so, sub must help my fronts :oops: (i usually use the analog stage with ancient jazz music witch doesn't have much bass informations)...
So bass is a lot better defined, and i found here the kind of treatment that the MC12 is able to do !
Huge stage, sub-bass well maintened, exceptionnal voices (with a lot of nuances), somptuous channel separation and grain material to come alive (like in the analog way !).

The texture of the sub material was also so detailed, i wasn't used to this with the SP1.7 and only heard it with the MC12.
I could really ear a superb clarity on the singers, with exceptionnal front stage presence, subtility in the different instruments, lovely way to put all this thing together and let them have their own life in the same time.
I'm more than surprise !
The stage has improved, it's bigger, larger and deeper.
It gets the better part of the MC12 in analysing things BUT keeps its soul with music.

What a trick, you got me James on this one !

PS : i should reconsider my opinion on the HT thing later, maybe i'll find this pre to be closer to the MC12 than i tought :):):)
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2006, 08:17 am by MOZ »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 7 Sep 2006, 11:35 am »
Hi MOZ,

Thanks for the update - glad you are enjoying your system.

One thing I should point out is that the output section of the SP2 is a MULTI-CHANNEL "fully discrete Bryston Class A output section" so even if your using the digital (2,channel, 5.1 or 7.1 etc.) section in the SP2 the output still has the benefit of those discrete circuits. That's why in my opinion the Digital decode functions (Stereo or Surround) in the SP2 are without equal.

I think most people just assume the output in Bypass Mode only used the discrete Class A section.

james
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2006, 12:13 pm by James Tanner »

MOZ

« Reply #37 on: 7 Sep 2006, 12:31 pm »
I know but on the last SP1.7 i found the analog stage to be more revelant and better sounding.
Here, i seriously have to make some more tests, but the digital 2 channel section is awsome !!!
Now i'm thinking on taking a simple drive when you'll be ready with your CD player !

This upgrade is definitively a good one.
That was a long wait but the results are here :)

PS : i just hope you won't be too long with the HDMI thing... :roll:
You've got to get to work James, stop readding here and go for the HDMI :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2006, 12:44 pm by MOZ »

brucek

« Reply #38 on: 7 Sep 2006, 01:05 pm »
The digital 2 channel of the SP2 has also much much improved, i couldn't believe it !
I have to use it because my system is a THX one, so, sub must help my fronts  (i usually use the analog stage with ancient jazz music witch doesn't have much bass informations)...

Do you realize that in analog bypass you have the ability to enable the subwoofer with a code. The subwoofer signal is full range and can be bass managed with the internal crossover in your sub itself.

brucek

MOZ

« Reply #39 on: 7 Sep 2006, 01:26 pm »
Yep, have already tried this...
It is not that simple, you have to manage 2 different positions (one for analog and one for digital) on your sub and anyway, the internal bass management of the SP2 is MUCH better in a digital way, not comparable !
People at Bryston told me to say digital all the way, will sound better and they're right  :green: