Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of The Moon" recording quality?

nathanm

Re: Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of The Moon" recording quality?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2006, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
...be sure and check out The Final Cut as well....
I second that enthusiastically.  That's definitely a sit down and concentrate, HiFi-esque album with lots of nifty sound effects and the hot mic spit crackle detail vocal sound.  (see if you can train yourself to not touch the volume knob when the airplane crash comes)  I wouldn't say it's comparable to The Wall necessarily, though.  The Wall is more rockin' whereas Final Cut is more moody and contemplative, perhaps even depressive.  (And we could really use a Fletcher Memorial Home right about now...)

The surround SACD mix of DSOTM is pretty awesome I think.  They did a bang up mixing job there which served the music well without being gimmicky.  I think maybe it's because there's more blending between the channels.  It's not spread out too thin.

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2006, 08:35 pm »
I have the MFSL 1-017 vinyl recording of TDSOTM. It is without a pop or click. Is it a great recording? Well, in it's time, it was top in rock. I do enjoy listening to it now and then, but I first heard it back in 1973 on 8-track tape for the first time! I also have the original vinyl release, which has less fidelity to it. The vinyl is superior to the CD IMO, though. Supertramp's Crime of the Century came out around the same time or slightly later, and the audio quality of this recording was vastly superior to TDSOTM, even from MFSL. A & M records always seem to have real good sound to them. Harvest was always so-so.

If your new to Pink, check out The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I was to a PF concert and the light show was something no other band could afford or duplicate. Check out a DVD sometime. I heard  once that the band needed 17 semi-trailers to haul one of their two leap-frogging sets! That would be 34 semi's to run this band through it's concert schedule, which was a short venue.

W

craig223

« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2006, 08:50 pm »
Saw Pink Floyd at Atlanta Stadium on their DSOTM tour - summer of 74?  Sound quality live was terrible. 

Have you tried to synch DOSTM with Gone With The Wind?  I know many who claim that if you turn off the movie sound and play the CD, they synch beautifully!  You might give it a spin.

gitarretyp

« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2006, 09:42 pm »
Saw Pink Floyd at Atlanta Stadium on their DSOTM tour - summer of 74?  Sound quality live was terrible. 

Have you tried to synch DOSTM with Gone With The Wind?  I know many who claim that if you turn off the movie sound and play the CD, they synch beautifully!  You might give it a spin.

Never heard that it synchs with gone with the wind. I've seen parts of it synched with the wizard of oz, however.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2006, 11:14 pm »
I saw the concert in the late 90's at the Metrodome. the sound and lights were fantastic. by the way, the name of the album is The Dark Side of the Moon.

For those of you that believe that the music was written in syncopation to a stupid movie,find something solid to subscribe to.

W

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2006, 12:55 am »
Hard t believe someone on this site could be new to Pink Floyd but it must start somewhere.
You gotta get a copy of Roger Waters, "Amused to Death" for sonic trickery.

michaelv

« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2006, 04:56 am »
I've just bought DOSTM  (not SACD one) from BB . I must say i like this one as much as i like "The Wall".  The sound is great to my ear.   

Actually, i am not really 100% new to Pink Floyd. I heard a couple of songs from The Wall a long time ago from a tape i borrowed from my friend. That's why i bought "The Wall" cd when it came out. Now , DSOTM.

JohninCR

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2006, 05:28 am »
I've just bought DOSTM  (not SACD one) from BB . I must say i like this one as much as i like "The Wall".  The sound is great to my ear.   

Actually, i am not really 100% new to Pink Floyd. I heard a couple of songs from The Wall a long time ago from a tape i borrowed from my friend. That's why i bought "The Wall" cd when it came out. Now , DSOTM.

That's why it falls in the classification of Classic Rock.  Revenge is sweet.  We laughed at those into disco back then, when people were vehemently one or the other.  Now even the disco'ers are listening to our music.  It's good to see the young converted too.  I had The Wall cranked up just last week, and one of my young employees came in and stayed for the entire album.

FredT300B

« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2006, 01:36 pm »
My 1992 digital remaster of DSOM (Capitol Records) is good. The SACD is better. Unfortunately, the CD layer of the SACD isn't as good as the 1992 digital remaster. Stereophile's John Atkinson did a summary of this with graphs depicting the compression and distortion.   :nono:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11649/

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2006, 02:02 pm »
I have the MFSL 1-017 vinyl recording of TDSOTM. It is without a pop or click. Is it a great recording? Well, in it's time, it was top in rock. I do enjoy listening to it now and then, but I first heard it back in 1973 on 8-track tape for the first time! I also have the original vinyl release, which has less fidelity to it. The vinyl is superior to the CD IMO, though. Supertramp's Crime of the Century came out around the same time or slightly later, and the audio quality of this recording was vastly superior to TDSOTM, even from MFSL. A & M records always seem to have real good sound to them. Harvest was always so-so.

If your new to Pink, check out The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I was to a PF concert and the light show was something no other band could afford or duplicate. Check out a DVD sometime. I heard  once that the band needed 17 semi-trailers to haul one of their two leap-frogging sets! That would be 34 semi's to run this band through it's concert schedule, which was a short venue.

W

Much of Supertramp's recordings are very very good.  "Brother where you Bound" is really excelent in terms of both performance and recording quality.

-Paul