Has anyone lived with/listened to the Kharma CRM 3.2 speakers?

alan967tiger

Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on the Kharma CRM 3.2 speakers? I'm saving up for a  speaker upgrade as a 40th birthday present (my wife's idea!!!!!!!!!) next August, I love the look of the 3.2s and the reviews are positive. I've a few others in mind to audition nearer the time such as Sonus Faber Cremona and Proac D38s, I live in the UK, the SFs and Proacs are priced at 5000 and 4500 GBP respectively, I'm not sure what the UK price is for the Kharma's, although the previous version, the 3.1s, retailed at 5750 GBP.
I'd be grateful for any views re. sound characteristics, room placement etc. I have a Marantz SA11S1 SACDP and Krell 400XI amp.
The other consideration is that we're moving into a larger home next July, so at the moment I'm not sure what the exact room size will be 'though in the kind of houses that we're looking at, a dining room is typically only 10 feet square; I hope to have this room for the hi-fi :D
Sorry to ramble but I'd really value your views 

PhilNYC

I am friends with a reviewer who has the 3.2's.  Excellent speaker, although I've only heard them with tube/hybrid gear (Lamm, Mastersound).  Very clean and coherent, with an ease of presentation that never sounds strained.  Have always thought that his system was one of the best imaging systems I've heard.  They do seem to have a "sound" which is hard to describe...seems to do best with acoustic instruments and vocals.  My friend's room is 12x32 and he sets them up along the short wall...never felt that the room was too narrow...

beemer

This would all depend on what you want.....are you an audiophile or a music lover?

The Kharma 3.2 is an audiophile speaker all the way. Extreme resolution, however heaven forbid your source material may be a little bright, as the Kharmas will render it unlistenable. If all you listen to are audiophile recordings (yawn), then the Kharmas may be right up your alley. Keep in mind that these will also want tube amplifiers to sound best. Forget about solid state. My friend used a pair of McIntosh 275 series IV on his 3.2's, before he tired of the limited repertoire of listenable music thru this speaker and sold them. Also, forget about the lower octaves, this speaker has little or no bass. For the used buy price, you can buy far better. Be very careful and listen long to music YOU like through these before you lay your cash down. If you can, hook YOUR source components up to them prior to purchase. I'm serious!

I personally could not live with these in my home for much more than about 5 minutes, or one music selection. Absolutely horrid!  :nono:

Best,

Paul  :green: