Poll

Which is the best speaker cable place in Melbourne?

Help
0 (0%)
Please
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Speaker cables

Cliff Moss

Speaker cables
« on: 16 Aug 2006, 05:41 am »
I'm looking for some really decent speaker cable. Can anyone point me in a good direction please. I have a great speaker system (turbo sound) with custom built amp and pre amp running off Pioneer mixing desk and turn tables. It's a great set up, sounds good both loud and soft but i'm being let down by the cables. I currently use slinkylinks between my system components (which i feel are good) and 4 core copper cabling from the power amp to the sub and then 2 core running out of the sub to left monitor and 2 core to right monitor. Any thoughts, ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Cliff

Andy G

Re: Speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2006, 11:06 pm »
what makes you think its the speaker cables ??

my belief is that unless you are running something significantly different in wire structure, then basically copper wire is copper wire.  So long as you have enough weight (and not too much), then your wires probably won't make any audible difference.

what sort of system is this anyway, what is it used for ??  looks like a DJ system.. where is it used ??

Cliff Moss

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2006, 11:36 pm »
You're right it's a DJ vinyl and CD set up. When i connected the Slinkylinks up between the components the sound difference was audibly better. My understanding is that a better grade and guage of copper is also going to make a difference. I'll be fixing the cables to the walls tho so i want to do this once and do it right.. without spending ridiculous amounts of money.
The current cables run raw(no bullet plugs) from amp to sub to monitors.

The satellite monitors are these:

http://www.turbosound.com/showroom/impact50/index.html

and run off the 17" horn based sub which is doesn't appear to be listed on the site:

http://www.turbosound.com/products/subs/subs.htm

I have a Mclaren amp and pre amp... both custom built in NZ.

I play and record at home and we have an occasional bash that means we really give the system a good run... the more power I put through it, the louder it gets the better it sounds.

Andy G

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2006, 11:52 pm »
what sort of run is there on the speaker cables..  it may be that you need shielded ones, particularly if there are a lot of fluoro or high power lights about.  Apart from that, any decent copper cable will sound the same (IMO)

Cliff Moss

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2006, 12:22 am »
1.5m to the sub... 7m to left monitor and 7 m to right.. no fluro lights around..

PS what does IMO mean?

Andy G

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2006, 12:39 am »
in my opinion .   

speaker cables, and if they make any difference, is one of those unproven issues, in either direction..  so we won't go there   ;-)

jules

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2006, 02:43 am »
Hi Cliff and welcome to the Pie,

I had a quick look at the website you named and I notice there's reference to high voltage speakers. You didn't say if you're using that option but that would make the choice of cables a very different matter [both from a safety poit of view as well as a carrying capacity aspect].

As far as choice goes ... I'm with something cheap being of the school that believes it's not all that important.

Andy: Just landed myslef a pair of new 10" PHL woofers at about 1/3 normal price and I'm thinking about a separate box for them. Might talk to you about it some time if that's ok.

jules

rabbitz

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2006, 07:40 am »
Been down that path and it's hard to beat the Supra Rondo from Jaycar. Well priced, works well, tinned which will help for external use and twisted which should cut down on nasties that can be picked up.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1723&CATID=&keywords=supra&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

navi

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:24 am »
The canare 4S11 is a very good and cheap cable.
http://www.diyaudiostore.com/speaker_cables/speaker_cables.htm

fabaudio

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2006, 02:58 pm »
what makes you think its the speaker cables ??

my belief is that unless you are running something significantly different in wire structure, then basically copper wire is copper wire.  So long as you have enough weight (and not too much), then your wires probably won't make any audible difference.

what sort of system is this anyway, what is it used for ??  looks like a DJ system.. where is it used ??

:o

Andy G

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2006, 10:24 pm »
my point there was that many people say they notice a difference, but when put to a controlled ABX test the results generally give a null.   Note, this does not mean their isn't an audible difference, just that it couldn't be reliably detected during the test..  therefore....difference neither proved or disproved.   :duh:

navi

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2006, 12:34 am »
Andy,
Speaker cables do make a difference.
I don't know what A/B test you did but in my A/B listening tests I clearly heard a difference.

jules

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2006, 12:42 am »
ok, ok ... This topic has already been beaten to death on a number of occasions so please, cease and desist!

It may even be that in the southern hemisphere, twisting the cable anticlockwise works better while in the northern regions a clockwise twist is preferable but luckily an A/B test would be impossible ...

Jules

Andy G

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:22 am »
I agree completely..the rigorous proof issue anyway..... not a point worth discussing.  Believe or not believe...  I actually believe btw  :lol:

Oh and Jules, I am now on 2 weeks break, during which time I have 5 weeks work to do. 
But if you are considering a drive..... I'm sure Peter and I could arrange a day.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2006, 04:48 am by Andy G »

jules

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2006, 10:02 pm »
I'll be in that ... let me see now, I'll just PM you

Jules

ps I'm voting "please" in the poll  :bounce:, it's the only ethical way to vote.

Andy G

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2006, 11:39 pm »
I have to ask what the  F... they are asking !!!   :scratch:

ya want cable..  just made some PA snakes..  fun.. burn fingies of course !!!!

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/DIY%20snakes.JPG