System Malfunction!

bgewaudio

System Malfunction!
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:04 pm »
James/Guy's

I have had my BP26 for several months now and I notice something apparent in the chain that's not right.  I have the BP26 connected with a Toshiba DVD player and a Rotel RB1090.  I have noticed different times when I put a CD in to drawer of my player sometimes the playback seems to be recessed in the top end and vocal clarity is diminished (veiled) somewhat, but then, if I open the drawer and close it again this will stop and playback will resume normal.  This will occur once out of every 5 times the disc's are loaded.  Almost seems that when the player drawer is opened and closed again it generates a new signal and it's fixed????????????????

Do you think this is a problem with the transport not retrieving information properly?

Or the DAC in the pre not processing it properly?

Or some other souce?

Please shed some light?

thanks
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 03:15 pm by bgewaudio »

elcaptain88

Re: System Malfunction!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:45 pm »
Interesting. I had a B60 w/ DAC a couple of years ago and experienced the exact same symptoms. It was certainly something in the DAC/pre causing the problem, as my cd player worked fine on its own with different dac/preamp setups. The dealer agreed with me.

Sorry to say that this problem caused me to get rid of the unit. Hope you have better luck than I did getting resolution from Bryston.

bgewaudio

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:18 pm »
Elcaptain, thank you for your reply.

I currently have to unit switched to DAC 2 to see if there is a problem with DAC 1.

Right now just trying to isolate components to see where the problem lies.

I really don't wanna send it back, but that may be the case

:(

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:27 pm »
Elcaptain, thank you for your reply.

I currently have to unit switched to DAC 2 to see if there is a problem with DAC 1.

Right now just trying to isolate components to see where the problem lies.

I really don't wanna send it back, but that may be the case

:(

Hi,

DAC 1 and DAC 2 are the same DAC - it is just the input that changes.

This is news to me so I will check with engineering if there is any wy the DAC can have a frequency imbalance.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:29 pm »
appreciate it James

:)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2006, 05:00 pm »
appreciate it James

:)

Hi BG,

Engineering tells me the only thing they think it could be is the CS8420 receiver chip is experiencing a problem.

I would need the unit back to replace the chip.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2006, 05:16 pm »
Ok James, will send the preamp a.s.a.p.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 06:28 pm by bgewaudio »

perose

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2006, 06:15 pm »
FWIW, I have a Perpetual Technologies P-1A/P-3A system that uses the same Crystal input receiver (CS8420) and experienced the same phenomenon on occasion. As I understand it, there were some component values that needed tweaking to get the receiver to lock reliably which may be the same forces in action here. By opening your drive you are breaking the digital link and reestablishing it once more when closed. It's a PITA but does work however, it shouldn't be doing this. I hope the Bryston team can get you fixed up.

bgewaudio

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2006, 06:26 pm »
Thanks for your input Perose.

I know that James will make sure this gets looked after, I have faith in Bryston, Reliable company.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2006, 07:33 pm »
FWIW, I have a Perpetual Technologies P-1A/P-3A system that uses the same Crystal input receiver (CS8420) and experienced the same phenomenon on occasion. As I understand it, there were some component values that needed tweaking to get the receiver to lock reliably which may be the same forces in action here. By opening your drive you are breaking the digital link and reestablishing it once more when closed. It's a PITA but does work however, it shouldn't be doing this. I hope the Bryston team can get you fixed up.

Hi,

Perose is talking about the PLL steering values. Cirrus claims that it only applies to a particular earlier production run of the 8420. We pretest every chip and have not experienced this problem with any of our chips.

james