LLC-P Compatibility

rhart

LLC-P Compatibility
« on: 10 Jun 2003, 01:46 pm »
I currently have a DACT attenuator to passively control volume in my system and really like the clarity and detail. I do, however, feel that something is missing from the sound, maybe it's a little bass-shy and dynamics are not as involved as I would like. Since the LLC-P utilizes a similar attenuator, I am really, really interested in this preamp (I also like its relative simplicity). The problem may be the voltage output of my DAC.

My ART DI/O puts out 7V, and this gives me plently of volume in my passive arrangement. Can the LLC-P accept such a large voltage, or would it be best to reduce my DI/O's voltage to 2V or 3V?

Also, does anyone have any idea/speculation on how the LLC-P would match with a Bryston 3B-ST? I think the input impedence is 20K or 50K.

thanks,

Randy Hart

PS: Curt, how much is shipping to Toronto, Ontario, Canada? Please email a quote if you can (rhart@chass.utoronto.ca).

grub

LLC-P Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2003, 03:41 am »
Hey Randy,
You could always do the 6db shift mod to help with the powerful line signal, but even then you probably won't have much volume control.  I did it on my LLC-P and it took all of 10min or so.  A couple snips later and you've got more volume to play with.  

As far as it matching with the Bryston...it could drive it for sure, do doubts there...I find the Purist to be very pure in the sense that it doesn't alter the sound much (if at all) and the upper register seems quite smooth and detailed, so if your Bryston is a quality piece, they outta work out well.
I hope that helps a little,
-->grub

Curt

LLC-P Compatibility
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2003, 09:31 am »
Randy,

The Art DI/O (unmodified) does have too much output for standard stereo systems.

I like the idea of all the gain up front but since most amplifiers need less than 2Vrms to reach full volume most of it is just wasted, even with your passive.

There are some guys on this board, I believe, that mod the Art DI/O to 2Vrms, or maybe you can do it yourself. Bottm line is I do recommend setting the Art DI/O output to 2Vrms maximum for best results.

Use 0dB setting on the Purist with the modded Art DI/O. The Purist can be ordered with the gain factory shifted to 0/+6/+9.5dB.

Grub already answered about driving the Bryston, easy load no problem.

The purist will drive any amplifier with input impedance down to 2,000 ohms.

Thank you for your interest.