soldering tweeter wire - never soldered before

Angaria

soldering tweeter wire - never soldered before
« on: 2 Aug 2006, 02:05 am »
I need to reconnect the very fine wire coming out of my SEAS millenium tweeter to the contact that the main speaker wire connects to -  and there's only about 1/8 in sticking out that I can still use.  (I accidentally tugged and the contact came off.)  Since I only fooled around with soldering many years ago, do you think I should take this to a repair shop to have done vs doing it myself?  Will hey know what type of solder to use for this application.  Thanks.

Chris

Midnite Mick

Re: soldering tweeter wire - never soldered before
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2006, 05:38 am »
Most don't recommend soldering anywhere near a tweeter.

Mike

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2006, 11:58 am »
If I understand your statement correctly, you have about 1/8" of voice coil wire hanging there. You apparently ripped off the speaker connector terminal. That wire is an ultra small gauge and has an enamel coating on it. The wire will conduct heat as well. If I remember right, the Seas tweeters all have replaceable voice coils. I would buy a new voice coil, (Madisound should have them). The tweeter should be an E011. The E011 replaceable voice coil is about 28 dollars, H9929. Unless you have a special made Excel tweeter made for a specific speaker manufacturer.

Good Luck!

W

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2006, 04:02 pm »
Buy the replacement dome.

When I broke one of my Millenniums, I replaced both domes.  I measured before and after of the good one, and the after of the one that I broke.  They all measured nearly identical and the date code difference on the domes was about 4 years from the tweeters.

There was some variation above about 10Khz, but it was very minor.

-Paul

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:31 am »
Chris,

You should follow the advice of the other fellas and just replace the dome.  Attempting to solder a repair wire on the existing one will be a PITA.

When you install the new one remove the old one slowly so you leave much of the ferro-fluid in the gap.  Install the new assembly and tighten all four screws almost snug....a little loose.  Play a 500hz tone at approximately 2VRMS and listen for distortion as you slowly tighten the screws criss-crossing.  If you get some distortion loosen the four screws again and push the face plate with your thumb a bit from each of four directions.  One direction should be a bit better than the others.  Tighten the screw on that side first and proceed to the other three.

Cheers,

Davey.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:39 am »
Good advice Davey.

"Attempting to solder a repair wire on the existing one will be a PITA."

I have done it several times, and while it worked in all cases, it truly is a royal PITA.

If the VC leadout wire is broken on the dome/VC side of it's last 'support' then it is definitely not worth it.  The VC leadout wire (actually just a continuation of the VC wire) is actually part of the suspension, and the angle, distance and tension to the first support are crucial below 1000Hz, in terms of response and distortion.

-Paul