JOHN DUNLAVY..DUNTECH

ARAM

JOHN DUNLAVY..DUNTECH
« on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:29 pm »
I  heard  John  Dunlavy  is  ill..He  also  lived  in  Australia  for  some  time  and  designed  the  Duntech's..has  anyone  had  them  or  heard  them?? It  is  sad  that  he  is  ill...   

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: JOHN DUNLAVY..DUNTECH
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:28 pm »
Yes, it is true that John is very sick. I was following a thread on him earlier this year over at AA. I have not heard anyfurther news to date on his condition.

John was actually the founder of Duntech and remained with them till 1992?? when he went out on his own and started Dunlavy speaker company.

If anyone has any updated information on his condition, please post here.

Andy G

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:23 am »
That is one guy I would love to spend a day chatting with !!!

tony_aust

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2006, 06:27 am »
Yes, I agree with all of the above.  I remember a very impressive demo of his loudspeakers at Technology Park, Salisbury South Australia in (I think) the late 80's. A mate of mine had the Sovereigns with a huge sub built into the floor of his listening room.  The first time I saw the throat of that thing I thought it was a sunken spa bath in the corner of the room.  It sure tested the structural integrity of his house.

I also have a videotape of an old episode of "Beyond 2000", where they challenged a music professor to differentiate between live and recorded sound through the Sovereigns and Crown Princes.  It was a bit lame as the "Prof" didn't impress as being able to differentiate his a** from........

I did have a pair of Crown Princes for a while but I was unable to get them to sound good, so I sold them.  I don't think my amplification/sources etc at the time were good enough for the speakers, but I didn't know that .

I think that, after John left Australia, a couple of the Duntech senior staff founded Sonique.  Duntech still exists in NSW, but they seem to keep a lower profile than they did in the "glory days" in SA with JD at the helm.

John is one of the industry greats - I hope he's not as sick as the news suggests.