Slow Progress

rabbitz

Re: Slow Progress
« Reply #20 on: 4 Nov 2006, 01:35 am »
I'm sucked in and have some ideas rolling around once again.  :o

Have some D27TG, P13 and M22WR that I can pull out of other stuff to play with.... never ends.

Andy G

« Reply #21 on: 4 Nov 2006, 09:05 pm »
got ya !!   Despite the fact you said you didn't need any more speakers, I KNEW you couldn't resist  aa

rabbitz

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2006, 07:52 am »
I can still play  :lol:

rabbitz

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2006, 12:53 pm »
got ya !!   Despite the fact you said you didn't need any more speakers, I KNEW you couldn't resist  aa

The fun has started and using the Scan Speaks instead if the Vifas. Very positive results so far. I'll end up having to do new boxes only as all the other stuff is existing so will be a cheap upgrade... maybe a few xo parts.

BTW, the speaker count will remain the same so no more speakers  :lol:

Andy G

« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2006, 03:50 am »
BTW, the speaker count will remain the same so no more speakers  :

until the next one  :duh:

rabbitz

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:09 pm »
Andy

Testing is complete and definately a goer, sounding better than the existing by quite a margin. Still have a bit of xo tweaking to do, but very close.

Going to use the Scan Speak S2905 + 18W8531 in the OB with rear damping and M22WR in a vented box for the bass. I cheated on the 3-way and will go with a 2-way AR for the tweeter and mid woofer and allowing it to roll off naturally with 2 sub amps driving the woofer (sounded much better and more flexible).

Start the enclosures next week. So it's on again  :duh:

Andy G

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:31 pm »
I'm not in trouble with your "boss" again am I ?? aa

rabbitz

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:02 pm »
Nah.... it's cool  :lol: She understands and tolerates this hobby very well.

Andy G

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2006, 09:00 pm »
let me know when its ready for a listen   8)

rabbitz

« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2006, 01:55 pm »
OK Andy, should be in about 3 weeks as there is a bit of work in the enclosures.... a bit different to my normal rectangular boxes.

rabbitz

« Reply #30 on: 3 Dec 2006, 12:57 pm »
OK Andy, it's done and running. Only fine tuning to go after I live with it for a couple of months. I think the xo is nailed and only needed resistor changes from when it was used in the other box, but another opinion is always good. Not at all like my usual boxes and call this one Das Pisa.

This is one great sounding speaker and quite a step up from the one you heard.... thanks to the OB top section.

navi

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2006, 03:01 am »
Hey Rabbitz,

Great Looking Speakers!
I'm sure the sound would be mind blowing as well.
I'm Jealous.

rabbitz

« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2006, 01:25 pm »
Thanks Ivan.

Their music making ability is really special and quite stunning. They have a powerful sound but it's not fatiguing and I can listen to these longer than any other speaker I've built.... still trying to work that out.

The inspiration came after listening to Andy's Blackwood. He always sends me off in different directions and makes me think, which is really cool.  :lol:

Andy G

« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2006, 09:46 pm »
The inspiration came after listening to Andy's Blackwood. He always sends me off in different directions and makes me think, which is really cool.  :lol:

Yeah, sorry about that  8)

How would say 10ish Wednesday be for a quick visit to your place.

Lyndon is dropping around for a listen to "Blackwood" today.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2006, 09:09 pm by Andy G »

rabbitz

« Reply #34 on: 5 Dec 2006, 11:38 am »
Well, I'm not sorry.  :thumb:

10ish Wednesday will be fine. I won't be too alert at that time  :sleep:.

Lyndon was going to drop over some time for a listen.

Andy G

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2006, 02:38 am »
Nice speaker Rabbitz, really nice !!!

"she who must be obeyed" only scowled at me a bit.  good thing she also likes how they sound !  aa

now where's that list of CD's for you to buy :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2006, 05:08 am by Andy G »

rabbitz

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2006, 01:56 pm »
Thanks for the comment Andy and shhh with the list.  :shh: No scowl and she's very happy with the results and can pick the changes from the previous easily. She knows you wouldn't lead me astray.  :green:

These speakers are the result of listening and listening to what is said if you know what I mean.

Andy G

« Reply #37 on: 6 Dec 2006, 10:29 pm »
Oh , and Lyndon has bought drivers for a TMW OB mid design.  Will be interesting to see/here his when he gets it done

rabbitz

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2006, 12:50 pm »
It's contagious and the Blackwood's spell is expanding.

So what's Lyndon using... M11WH? M18WO (dual as I know he has some in the Aksonics)? Tweeter?

Slight xo changes on mine with 0R2 added to the mid to let a bit more of the tweeter through.... seems about the best balance for me. Tried an additional 0R8 and too much  :o

Andy G

« Reply #39 on: 8 Dec 2006, 10:07 pm »
He has some drivers already, he purchased 1 M18WO and 2 M13SG-09-16 to make up numbers.  Wonder what he will come up with. 8)

As for your changes, I had predicted that less than 1/2 ohm would be needed.  that's how slight I thought the tweeter was down.  Not too shaddy for the first week after construction !!