Targa subs???  :scratch:

Andy G

Re: Slow Progress
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 11:58 am »
Jaycar 10" 120w

Andy G

Slowly does it !!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2006, 09:02 am »
This one is taking some time because of other stuff that has to be done. Also I am ultra triple checking everything while working with the Tassie Blackwood, because its VERY expensive to replace. !!

Top section is getting there slowly, and lots of work to do on the bottom section.

largish pic files !

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/blackwood2.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/blackwood3.jpg

jules

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2006, 10:30 pm »
Andy,

I hope you'll put an image directly into your post when you get these to the finished state.

You and Andrew W. have had me thinking about the virtues of non-parallel sided boxes but they look like hell to construct. With a "normal" box the structure is so straightforward that the things nearly hold themselves together when it gets to glueing them. For mine there were no screws, no blocks and just a couple of clamps ... easy!

So, along with the issues of cutting angled edges and non-oblong sides, do you have any hints as to how one goes about this exercise?

What's the Blackwood like to work?

Jules 

Andy G

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2006, 11:33 pm »
Boxes with non parallel sides are easy WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS !  I have an old-school radial arm saw, which I can set to angles in 2 directions, its mounted in a 12ft long workbench, and a lot of practice, so cutting things to size and shape is pretty straight forward.  Also I have an air brad gun, which makes things very easy to put together !!

The blackwood is actually quite difficult to work.. its gives hairy edges, and is somewhat brittle. It is also softer than I had expected and bruises easily.  Give me a nice lump of fine grained hardwood that mills easily .. anyday !!!

Andy G

VERY Slow Progress
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2006, 02:47 pm »
"Blackwood" now has coats of grey undercoat. Baffles are actually oiled and waiting in the spare room to be attached once the cabs are finished.
I still have to add some bracing inside the cabinet once I figure out the best way, but that can be done from the front.
Note, on the back, the hinged section where the x-o will reside. The port and input terminals will be on the bottom section of the back.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/blackwood4.jpg

(earlier pic: http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/blackwood3.jpg )

rabbitz

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2006, 01:32 pm »
These are taking their time Andy but looking at them, you have so many different processes to do in the build.

Using up more bits 'n pieces.  :wink:

Just completed a very small 2-way (D27TG + P13) and some new HT Rears (D26NC + 850488) and that will leave only a few drivers left which I'm thinking about..... then time to pull the pin for a while and enjoy some tunes and movies.

Andy G

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2006, 09:56 pm »
These are taking their time Andy but looking at them, you have so many different processes to do in the build.

Using up more bits 'n pieces.  :wink:

Just completed a very small 2-way (D27TG + P13) and some new HT Rears (D26NC + 850488) and that will leave only a few drivers left which I'm thinking about..... then time to pull the pin for a while and enjoy some tunes and movies.

The fact that I have major Uni assignments due next week doesn't help either  ;-)

I only have plans to do maybe 2 more pairs.  I need to buy some woofs to go with the Seas TDFC, and I have a pair of D26NC's on the shelf, and those 3" TB's.. then I'm out too !

Andy G

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:54 am »
Getting there slowly.  not connected yet, but I'm winning !!

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/blackwood8.jpg

rabbitz

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2006, 11:13 am »
Cool. What's the tweeter Andy?

Andy G

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:59 pm »
that's the Peerless 811582 with the 80mm faceplate

Andy G

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2006, 05:26 am »
HI Peter,

Blackwood is up and running.. probably worth a listen if you are interested. 
I've tried hard to resist padding back the tweeter as much as I usually seem to prefer.

rabbitz

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2006, 01:09 pm »
I'm heading down south this week but when I get back I'll drop over for a listen for sure.

You always resist padding back tweeters  :green:

Andy G

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2006, 01:06 am »
Yo Peter,

Blackwood is now tuned up and ready for judgement.  8)

rabbitz

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:40 pm »
Andy..... I'll send you mail for a visit next week.

rabbitz

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2006, 12:12 pm »
Dropped over and had a listen to Andy's Blackwood and these are one of my favourites (if not the favourite) of all his creations. From the first notes, the sound was instantly likeable and suits my listening..... this rarely happens and Andy was using some Yamaha gear so nothing exotic to tart up the sound.

The tonal balance is spot on and projects mids and soundstage in such a great fashion... quite eerie really.... a fantastic listen. Once again Andy has done a design using some great drivers as well as some that normally wouldn't be considered for this class of speaker and tweaked to get the best of the drivers (using series xo's of course  :wink:).

Andy.... you've done it again and I'm lucky to live close enough to be able to drop over.  :thumb:

Andy G

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2006, 09:36 pm »
Thank you, Sir...  its always nice to get a second opinion.  8)

rabbitz

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2006, 01:14 pm »
Andy... the 2 mids, are they wired in series so as to closely match the SPL of the woofer or does the woofer have a high SPL?

Which mid did you end up using... the P11, or M11WH-09-08? You've got me thinking once again  :scratch: as I've got a P13 and D27TG that I could play with.

Andy G

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2006, 10:16 pm »
The Jaycar woof has a reasonably high sensitivity.  The M11WH-09-08's are wired in parallel, but have a 3.9ohm in line with them to do the balancing.

You have to try this "open back" lark.. works NICE !!! aa

The basic circuit is on     http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/SeriesXO/series_cross-overs8b.htm