Verdi Requiem....

WilliamL

Verdi Requiem....
« on: 9 Jun 2003, 04:06 pm »
Anybody have recommendations on the best performance of Verdi's classic requiem???

Thanks,
Bill

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Verdi Requiem....
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2003, 04:08 pm »
I've got a few versions, and my favorite for a long time was Reiner on RCA, but recently I've really enjoyed the Naxos version.  Just as good an interpretation, and much better recording.  Aviod the Gergiev, it's horrid.

Obie

shame on you
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2003, 05:21 pm »
Bill,

You have a question about choral music and you don't ask me first?  I'm horrified  :nono:

Two cool recordings to try--
the old standard with dear white haired Arturo raving with NBC radio orchestra and Robert Shaw chorale.  You get to hear him rant like crazy on the podium.

Giulini with Berlin Phil on DG.  Other than the tenor, who sucks, this is a fun recording with some dynamite voices.

I know there are others, but these are quirky and fun. :mrgreen:

Kris

WilliamL

Verdi Requiem....
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2003, 08:48 pm »
8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Well Obie, I was gonna, but then I figured that I innundate you with email thru -out the day, every day. So I posted here... :|

I got the Shaw recording from the library. Its pretty darn good and I can't imagine it gets much better. Sigh...I have to return these things so quickly because I only get one week when I borrow a CD.

Thanks,
Bill

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Verdi Requiem....
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2003, 08:51 pm »
That's was CD burners are for.  Black CDR copies can sound better than the originals anyway.  Yamaha's latest generation of CD Copiers are quite good, and usually are bundled with the Nero Burning ROM program, which is excellent.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Verdi Requiem....
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2003, 12:11 am »
I wish Mitsui would make some black CD-Rs. :cry: