Using MC gain with 47k ohm cart.

jrhymeammo

Using MC gain with 47k ohm cart.
« on: 24 Jul 2006, 10:42 pm »
Here is a newbie quiestion.

When I'm pissed off, I love BLASTING classical music. It does my soul good, but here is the problem. My tube integrated just doesnt tear off my walls with my 88db sensitivity speakers. So, I switched my Pro-Ject Tube Box to 1k ohm MC setting to gain sound pressure. Sound quality isnt as refined as it normally is at recommended setting, but it seems to justify my specific needs.

Is this potientally harmful to my system?

andyr

Re: Using MC gain with 47k ohm cart.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2006, 07:59 am »
Here is a newbie quiestion.

When I'm pissed off, I love BLASTING classical music. It does my soul good, but here is the problem. My tube integrated just doesnt tear off my walls with my 88db sensitivity speakers. So, I switched my Pro-Ject Tube Box to 1k ohm MC setting to gain sound pressure. Sound quality isnt as refined as it normally is at recommended setting, but it seems to justify my specific needs.

Is this potientally harmful to my system?
Hi there,

Since no one else has bothered, I thought I'd at least post one answer to your Q, to help you ... even tho I am by no means a guru on this!   :)

"Phono Stage 101":
------------------
* typical phono stages allow for either MM or MC cartridges ... some, like your Pro-Ject Tube Box, do both (with a flick of a switch!   :) ).
* the MM setting expects input in the 5mV range - the nominal spec for output voltage from a MM cart.
* the MC setting expects input anywhere from 0.3mV to 0.7mV range - as this is typically what "low output MCs" output.  IE. it has more gain (as you've found out!  :D ).
* associated with the amount of gain which a phono stage has is what load it gives to the cartridge.
* MM cartridges have a nominal load requirement of 47K ohms ... although I have heard people say their MM cartridge sounds better at, say, 20K!   :?
* MC cartridges all have different load requirements.  Some like 100 ohms; many like 470/560 ohms and some others prefer something higher - say 1K.

You didn't say but I presume you have a MM cartridge so:
* by changing to the MC gain circuit, you are getting more gain.
* at the same time you are loading your cartridge with only 1K instead of what it probably expects - which is 47K.  This just changes the tone - eg. of voice/violins - a bit.  It certainly doesn't do any damage.   :D
* if you really like listening at the higher volume using the extra gain from the MC setting, you might like to experiment with changing the 1K load?

Regards,

Andy