GK-1 attenuator options?

fred

GK-1 attenuator options?
« on: 9 Jun 2003, 02:14 pm »
Hugh - The description of the GK-1 on you website says:
It offers up to five way source selection, HT bypass switch, and two attenuator options...

I must have missed this.  What are the 2 attenuator options?

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2003, 07:04 am »
Hi Fred,

Nah, you didn't really miss anything......

The GK-1M, manual option, uses the Vishay-Sfernice cermet, while the GK-1R, the remote option, will use the Panasonic EUWM motorized pot.

People buying the 1M will be given the option of upgrading to the better pot if they want it, of course.

Cheers,

Hugh

fred

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2003, 03:31 pm »
Thanks, Hugh.  As you can see, I've been digging back through the previous posts on the GK-1 as I while away the time eagerly waiting for the imminent release of the GK-1R (and watching the U.S. dollar plummet!)

Grumpy_Git

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2003, 05:44 pm »
hugh, not sure if this is being really stupid or not, but I'm also interested in the source selection options of the M and R options.

Does the GK-1 sound better with relay switching or with a manual contact switch? If there is a big difference it could well be the biggest decider of which model I eventually decide to go for.

Nick.

ps:  Saving the pennies!! Have just passed the zero mark on my previously overdrawn account.

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:34 pm »
Hi Nick,

I can't answer that empirically, but I'd believe that the relays (NAIS Aromat) might pip it at the post because they use silver/gold contacts in a controlled atmosphere.  The Lorlin switch used in the Manual version uses silver coated brass contacts - I believe - but to be honest I believe it might be almost impossible to tell the difference.

The layout topology of the manual and relay pcbs is very, very similar.  Sonically, there's nothing in it.

The interconnection between this pcb and the analogue board is with CAT5E wire, and I'd suggest this might actually dominate sonically.

We lost several prototype pcbs at the AKSAfest in Sydney, and this has held us back another two weeks, so we've not been able to do any conclusive testing between the two versions.  However, the final production pcbs are well on their way, with even more enhancements and full overlays, and should be with us in a week.

A week back, Darren Kerr (DSK) asked me to fit a TKD 41 step attenuator from Japan to his GK-1.  This precision stepped attentuator is built like a scientific instrument, and VERY expensive.  I set it up conventionally, and it sounded absolutely sensational, right out of the box.  This prompted me to 'do more with less', so I set about improving the attenuator options I offer on the GK-1.

In response to Fred's Balance Control question, I have tried an integrated shunt approach to both volume and balance control.   :idea:   Mark Whitaker (Audio Oz) has very kindly helped with this process - two heads are always better than one - and we've secured a worthwhile enhancement which will be fully documented and included in all GK-1s, including those already sold.   8)

This topology works very well with both pot options, and draws on five or six volume control projects I've studied, including the superb APOX from Dale Herman (Harvardian), and another good design from Bottlehead.  It overcomes the excessive sensitivity of the existing arrangement, giving much finer control over volume at normal listening levels.  This has been achieved because of the 6dB gain of the GK-1, which is now reduced a little to 2dB overall, and is now optimal with CD/DVD sources.  

The result has been something which offers no sonic penalty with an inexpensive balance control, and an overall sonic quality not too far from Darren's marvellous TKD.  The interesting outcome was that any improvement in resolution seemed also to show up in body, ambience, and sound stage, which are the big guns that carry the emotion of the recording.  I must say it's always a tad discombobulating when your favorite female vocalist somehow contrives to kiss you as she sings.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Malcolm Fear

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2003, 11:56 pm »
For what it is worth.

I started with a GK-1 with no source selection at all. Flying leads straight from the GK-1 to my cd player (one set of RCA's). It was marvelous. I then went to the stage 2 GK-1 (manual input selector using the Lorlin selector switch and a wonderful phono stage). I heard no difference. There was no step backwards putting the signal through the Lorlin switch.

SamL

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2003, 04:31 am »
Quote from: AKSA

This topology works very well with both pot options, and draws on five or six volume control projects I've studied, including the superb APOX from Dale Herman (Harvardian), and another good design from Bottlehead. It overcomes the excessive sensitivity of the existing arrangement, giving much finer control over volume at normal listening levels. This has been achieved because of the 6dB gain of the GK-1, which is now reduced a little to 2dB overall, and is now optimal with CD/DVD sources.
The result has been something which offers no sonic penalty with an inexpensive balance control, and an overall sonic quality not too far from Darren's marvellous TKD. The interesting outcome was that any improvement in resolution seemed also to show up in body, ambience, and sound stage, which are the big guns that carry the emotion of the recording. I must say it's always a tad discombobulating when your favorite female vocalist somehow contrives to kiss you as she sings.......

Hi Hugh,

Will you apply this improvement to TLP?

Cheers,
Sam

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2003, 05:12 am »
Sam,

I'll consider it when I've finished the documentation to the GK-1R.

However, we need to understand that the TLP is entry level.  My premium product is the GK-1 and the amps, and I have to be very careful to apportion features where the cost justifies it.

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2003, 09:08 am »
.....We lost several prototype pcbs at the AKSAfest in Sydney, and this has held us back another two weeks....

:evil:  :evil:  :evil: what happened? someone stole your hard work??? if so, a pox on you miserable bastard whoever you are!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2003, 11:12 am »
Glen,

I'm not sure what happened there, I'm not for one moment saying they were taken, but certainly we no longer have them....

In any event the three micros we lost had incomplete code, not much money is involved, and it was well worth it to meet AKSAphiles in Sydney.

I hope to have all GK1-R manufactured pcbs this week, and the documentation is looking fine and dandy, and the photography is next.  Paul Kaplan in NYC graciously bought me a FinePix Fuji digital camera with 6x optical zoom last year, and this gadget is stunning for this job, delivering picture quality as good as a 6 Megapixel Canon with a hugely expensive lens.  The Canon was used by my photographer mate Gary on the amps last year.

So, all is in readiness!

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:36 am »
Glen and others,

Good - no, GREAT - news!

Mal Fear rang today, and greeted me with the customary Aussie abuse:  "Let me be the first to call you a dingbat today, Hugh!!"

I almost commented he was not the first....  I'm married, you know    :shake:

MAL FOUND THE GK-1R PROTOTYPES!!   :thankyou:

So, they will be sent down very soon, and work continues.  In any event, we should have the production pcbs this week!

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:49 am »
Glen and others,

Good - no, GREAT - news!

Mal Fear rang today, and greeted me with the customary Aussie abuse:  "Let me be the first to call you a dingbat today, Hugh!!"

I almost commented he was not the first....  I'm married, you know    :shake:

MAL FOUND THE GK-1R PROTOTYPES!!   :thankyou:

So, they will be sent down very soon, and work continues.  In any event, we should have the production pcbs this week!

Cheers,

Hugh

:stupid:  woohoo! now that makes me feel better  :jester:

now to get my speaker cables sorted out... and my TDA 7294 computer audio amp finished before the remote section is available! - the wife is over my 23 projects at a time habit  :oops:

then it's time for a LABsub 8)

Malcolm Fear

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2003, 10:26 am »
Maybe here is a good place to say "Hi Hugh - DINGBAT". You left your gear at my place, on a shelf in my sons room.
As any parent can testify, you do not venture into a sons room.

I did today.
I found:
1. an empty packet of condoms (that must be a good thing).
2. A pile of Playboy magazines (I must be getting old, I had a look at one, and thought - who cares). But then, I am only recently married.
3. A pile of AKSA goodies (Bloody dingbat - Hugh).

Anyway, I will put them in the post tomorrow.

Cheers

AKSA

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2003, 10:47 am »
Mal,

Not sure if your son will be too pleased you sent me his condoms and Playboys!

My thanks, Effendi......

Hugh

econ

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:09 pm »
echidna wrote:

"
what happened? someone stole your hard work??? if so, a pox on you miserable bastard whoever you are"

as one who attended the aksafest the suggestion that any one of us might have stolen Hughs PCBs is perplexing.

There was lots of equipment ,Cds , records, cable,cameras, computers ,bits and bobs . Nobody had anything stolen as far as I know . All the people there ,came to meet Hugh , to congratulate him on his achievements, share experiences with fellow AKSAites and exchange ideas. There was nothing but sheer goodwill and goodfeeling.

Echidna ,there is a risk in making rushed  suppositions , to reach  presumptive conclusions. Wishing a pox (even a tentative one) on anyone in this forum is bizarre . Especially since you know nothing about them.

EchiDna

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: econ
echidna wrote:

"as one who attended the aksafest the suggestion that any one of us might have stolen Hughs PCBs is disgusting.

Ther was lots of equipment ,Cds , records, cable,cameras, computers ,bits and bobs . Nobody had anything stolen as far as I know . All the people there ,came to meet Hugh , to congratulate him on his achievements, share experiences with fellow AKSAites and exchange ideas. There was nothing but sheer goodwill and goodfeeling.

Echidna ,that you should rush to judgement , reach a false conclusion and wish a pox on anyone is bizarre to say the least. Go easy pal ,take a big breath and think before you pass further opinion on those you've never met or spoken to. ...

OT..
I can read the word "IF"... it is critical to the sentence, you should realise that...  

What was YOUR reaction when you read that Hugh's boards were missing?

What makes you think I am out to character assasinate everyone at the AKSAfest?

econ

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:56 pm »
Ecidna .So what was the point of your post ?

EchiDna

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: econ
Ecidna .So what was the point of your post ?

too late to edit your post now econ, I already quoted the original...

If you are offended, then sorry, I didn't intend that.
you could answer my questions though...

JohnR

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:11 pm »
Um, well it's good they're found now then eh ;-)

EchiDna

GK-1 attenuator options?
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:12 pm »
my apologies to Hugh et al for this public airing of what is now apearing to be dirty laundry.

JohnR and Hugh, as mods, feel free to move this to the fightclub or whatever you feel is needed...