jrhymeammo

« on: 23 Jul 2006, 04:26 am »
I just found this site and wanted to say Hello. I'm starting to lose my love in vinyl for some reason. I'm hoping to get back into that bliss. This site looks good and seems different and useful than the one I'm used to.

-JRA

TheChairGuy

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2006, 03:46 pm »
Very cool, JRA - hello.

Pose your questions ad cite your disdain for your current set-up.....we are small, but mighty helpful, here on the Vinyl Circle

We'll be spending your money in nuthin' flat trying to help you find vinyl bliss yet again  :wink:

meilankev

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2006, 11:10 am »
JRA,

Without knowing any specifics, my "blind advice" would be for you to go out and buy some new vinyl - after all, that's what this hobby is all about.  And I'm not talking about from those mega-buck sites like AcousticSounds or ElusiveDisc.  There's other sites on the internet that sell new, sealed vinyl for much less than the cost of those more-visible sellers.  Note I gave up buying used vinyl a few years ago.

So, that's what I do when I get in a funk - buy some new music.

Good luck!!!
Kevin

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2006, 12:47 pm »
JRA,
Here's what happened to me.  I, too, had fallen into a vinyl malaise a while back and it was due to my stylus becoming gradually worn out.  The sound grew increasingly thin and lifeless, but so gradually that I didn't determine it to be the source of the issue.  I had another "lesser" cartridge in the closet and finally one day decided to mount it in an extra head shell to audition some used records.  The results made me grin at the reaffirmation that vinyl can be so satisfying, but grimace that I had been stubbornly subjecting myself to bad sound from a bad stylus.

I guess the answer for me was to generally trust my ears and memory, if it sounded good last year it should still sound reasonably good.  Did something change or deteriorate?  If the new vinyl doesn't do it for you, don't overlook the obvious like I did.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2006, 12:52 pm »
JRA,

Welcome and let us get you back your vinyl mojo.  If there is an affordable tweak to improve the vinyl performance, our host TCG probably has already done it or thought through it.  He will be able to assist you in that regard.  The bottom line, however, is that you gotta spin good stuff to get in the groove.  I found a bunch of old time gospel in one of the batch of records I picked up and put some on.  They had my spine tingling, toe tapping and goose bumping (?) Know what I mean?  I never thought I liked that stuff.  Who'd thunk it?  What do you listen to?

jrhymeammo

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2006, 10:25 pm »
Hi guys. thank you for suggestions.

Maybe my problem is that I've grew out of Grado sound. I use Grado Silver and love the sound. But since I've lived with it for over a year, all the sound is a bit predictable. I mostly listen to Jazz,  handful of classic/modern rock, and local/independent HipHop. Though I have a few $2< records, majority of my LPs are VG++ to M-. I only have about 500 LPs, but I do bring home some treasure in a brown bag at least once a week. Of last 30 records I've bought, the only one I've listen all the way thru was Revolver by the Beatles. My other problem might be that I need to listen to sound other than Rudy Van Gelder. I love his sound, but much like my cart, it is starting become a bit consistant. Classical music just might be a perfect cure for my illness.
My isolation devices ( http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=%%CArt_id%%&pid=1603 ) are not considered audiophile grade but works superbly, and to me that is most important. I dont experience any feedback enigma like I used to.
I havent been feeling the magic of black disc for a couple of months now, so I changed my 12AX7s in my phono-stage 4-5 weeks ago. Perhaps Tung-Sol 12AX7s just arent a good match for my system. I should go spend $30 for a pair of tubes and see what that'll do.

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2006, 11:06 pm »
Grew out of the Grado sound? That's not possible, is it?  :lol:

Seriously...could it be that the stylus is 'gunked-up'? Or worn?

Are you using a 'table/arm combo that's synergistic with Grado? I've never known anyone who didn't like the Grado sound if they used a complimentary set-up.

Care to share your set-up? I'm sure you will get cartridge recommendations if your set-up isn't Grado friendly...

regards,

WEEZ

jrhymeammo

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2006, 02:50 am »
I've played with some sub $100 carts and Grado seem to have better sound. I just need some different sound, you dig?

My analogue set-up consists of:

B&W Signature 805
Chinese brand Tube Integrated, Mr. Luing. - 45Watts, equipped with generic tubes. 4 KT-88, 2 6N6, and 2 6N23.
Pro-Ject Xpression ver. 1 w/ Grado Silver
Pro-ject Tube Box with Tung-Sol 12AX7 for now..
Paradigm PW2200
Kimber Kable Kwiki 12 - this to me is a keeper, do not wish to play with $800 speaker cables for a while
Alpha Core Micropurl Silver IC.

I always setup my cart with the Geo-Disc, and align it as close as I can.
I recently examined my stylus under a microscope, and clean da hell of it. It didnt look to be obviously damaged, so it will do until I get a new one. I was very close to buying Benz Micro, Ace med output cart, but had to perform an unexpected car maintanance so I will have to wait for a long time.

when I first played with Grado Green cart, I thought it was an amazing cart for 60 clams. With this hobby, I feel the need to play with different gears within somewhat of reasonble price. I'm not expecting $500 cart to make my system sound like $100,000 system. No matter what some poeple say, every cart to me sound different good or bad.

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:48 am »
You might try an Ortofon or Audio-Technica.

Check out Chairguys' posts re: the 'Longhorn', too.

WEEZ

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2006, 03:01 pm »
I got the answer.  You, my friend, are not getting enough. 

NO, not that.

I mean this,

Oooops, wrong transducer.

Try this,

Your speakers are down 6dB at 42 Hz.  How are you going to listen to Ray Brown with that? :icon_lol:

Seriously, some monitors sound so much better with subwoofer(s) filling in the bass.  Lower bass also softens the highs psychologically and makes music more enjoyable.  I find Jazz combos with acoustic bass so much more satisfying with my subs on....... Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2006, 03:18 pm by woodsyi »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:08 pm »
Try the Longhorn mod, for sure.  It gives considerable weight (literally and musically) to the your setup.....it seems that the lesser Grado's are not good trackers and you may well be fatigued by the excessive groove distortion.

The Longhorn by van Alstine modification goes a long way towards lessening that problem with Grado's (and others, too).  The cost is nearly negligible and the benefits many  :)

The AT440ML costs under a $100.00 and does track beter right out of the box than about any Grado...but that, too, has it's advantages and disadvantages against similiarly priced Grado's.  Try the Longhorn first, then hunt down other reasons if that's not your answer.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2006, 12:56 am »
My dear newbie:

The problem is the turntable.  Your soul is demanding PRAT--and that unit of yours can't deliver it.  Remember, 50% of the musicis in the album, the other 50% (the time domain) is provided by the TT. :scratch:

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2006, 02:26 am »
I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. While I still liked my vinyl rig it just wasn't magical any more. I was using a Grado Reference Platinum and while I liked it a lot when first purchased it somehow just wasn't special after a year or so.

I did some mod work for a friend and he paid me with a nearly new Scheu Benz, which is a tweaked Benz Glider. It really transformed my enjoyment of records and I'm still loving it. There is an added benefit in that my system is much quieter than with the Grado. The Grado was quiet when using a solid state phono pre but it was always noisy with my Hagerman Cornet. The Scheu/Benz is very quiet with the Cornet.

Not saying this would do the same for you but it really made a difference for me. Good luck on your return to vinyl bliss.

mike

jrhymeammo

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2006, 05:45 am »
Thanks for much advice.

I guess I need to try out that Longhorn tweak, but something keeps holding me back. I dont like the fact that I gotta apply more weight on outer cart. I just dont see how I can attach pieces of material evenly. I guess it would't matter much since carts are bolted on to tonearms. Also, I would have to get a new counter-weight to compensate the additional weight. But, since I intend to play with differnt cart, I might as get one.

I've always thought that TT setup can sound as good as carts with tonearms trackability. I've always had my eyes on VPI Scout, but not sure if the different will be as great as a new cart.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:41 pm »
Thanks for much advice.

I guess I need to try out that Longhorn tweak, but something keeps holding me back. I dont like the fact that I gotta apply more weight on outer cart. I just dont see how I can attach pieces of material evenly. I guess it would't matter much since carts are bolted on to tonearms. Also, I would have to get a new counter-weight to compensate the additional weight. But, since I intend to play with differnt cart, I might as get one.

I've always thought that TT setup can sound as good as carts with tonearms trackability. I've always had my eyes on VPI Scout, but not sure if the different will be as great as a new cart.

Dear unpronounceable moniker/newbie  :),

Tape a penny or two to your counterweight (I taped it to the back so I wouldn't see it) if you need more weight...don't spend more money.

I didn't solder the Longhorn to my cartridge to benefit - you don't have to either. Believe me, the tweek works. And, if for any reason it doesn't, you spent nearly nothing but a little time to investigate it.

John / TCG

jrhymeammo

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2006, 06:34 pm »
For the last 6 month, I've been in search for the ultimate/cheap DIY tweaks. I was watching TV one night and saw the Temperpedic Mattress commercial. I've always wanted to get a set for my sleeping purpose, but saleman always told me that guys dont like the 'tress since it results in excess perspiration.
Anyhow, being a cheap guy, who even refuses to pay for dinner for my ladies, I called a toll free number for a free-sample. It is about 4"x4"x6". I cut it up into 4 peices in a way that they all have the same height, and placed them under my tube phono-pre.
I've had this setup for over a month now, and I havent been enjoying my vinyl UNTIL NOW!!! Those suckers are out of my apartment, except for 2 little pieces cuz they work great as ear plugs. That so-called tweak mushed my sound to the point where it was extremely boring to listen. My primary purpose was to reduce vibration on my tubes. Im not sure if I like the sound of shakey tubes or what, but what I know is that black discs will be spinning non-stop.

Have you guys played with Temperpedic material and noticed any +/- results?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2006, 10:12 pm »
Dear (fellow) cheap newbie,

Tell us all your free and very cheap tweeks here, por favor: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29618.0

Spill the beans to that others may benefit from skinflintiness.

:wink: John / TCG