LifeForce - Listening Impressions

SamL

Re: LifeForce - Listening Impressions
« Reply #40 on: 3 Aug 2006, 09:40 pm »
The next test is electrostatics;  I suspect this will be a consummate performer with ESL989s.

If I recall correctly, the AKSA is incompatible with electrostatics.  From your above comment, may I assume the Lifefore does not have this restriction?
See http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29033.0

That is what I though as per these discussion.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11644.msg98509;topicseen#msg98509
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1816.msg15576;topicseen#msg15576
Seems like further test shows AKSA is fine with electrostatics.

Have fun,
Sam

fred

« Reply #41 on: 8 Aug 2006, 02:52 am »
Thanks, Sam - That's what I remembered.

Hugh: "the ESL is the proverbial wooden stake/silver bullet for the AKSA, just as it is for other SS PP amps."

"A Few Important Rules (added to on 31st October 2004)…  10.  DON'T use the AKSA on Electrostatic Speakers or rusty nails....

Hugh - Can you please clear this up? Are ESL's bad for AKSA (i.e. has your opinion changed)?  Are they bad for Lifeforce?

AKSA

« Reply #42 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:07 am »
Hi Fred,

At the time of the audition, I did not know if the AKSA was OK with ES speakers.

Since then, Patrick A. of NYC and Alan O. of Wellington, NZ have extensively experimented and all is well.  The AKSA in any variant, and the Lifeforce after it (since output stage and feedback system are largely the same) are both fine with electrostatics.

So, forget I wrote that;  I'm sorry if it's caused confusion recently, but if you want to try ES speakers, go for it!!   :tempted:

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #43 on: 11 Aug 2006, 11:23 am »
Hello all,
Here are some Lifeforce impressions from one of the first to take the plunge.

LIFEFORCE

I have one of the first pairs of Lifeforce55 modules Hugh made for sale.  I’ve finally had enough time with them to be able to write a bit about them.

First, some background info; I listen mostly to classical sacd’s, high rez recordings.  My speakers are one of a kind 2.5 ways with Seas W18E drivers and Hiquphon OW1 tweeter, high rez drivers to be sure. My speakers are set up 7 feet out into the room, and I sit in a near field position, and have a very good 3D effect from this setup. My N+ amp has attenuators build in, and thus I have no preamp. 

I heard one of Hugh’s Lifeforce prototypes during a visit in March.  It was just a short casual listen, but I was so impressed by the sound that afternoon that I wrote Hugh the following day that I felt he was really on to something with the new design.
Once Hugh published his price for the new Lifeforce modules, well, I didn’t really have to think too long before ordering a pair.

What most got my attention in the casual listen at Hugh’s were the superb clarity and three dimensionality of the music.  This three dimensionality stood out to me, as music I had previously heard at Hugh’s had never really sounded that way.  However, my own system, setup, and listening choices already stood out for high resolution, clarity, and three dimensionality.  I was not sure of how much improvement the Lifeforce would really add, as the music was already quite good and at a fairly high level.

After giving the amps some hours to play and myself to listen, I can say that the Lifeforce raises the level of music playback up a fair bit.  What I believe to be the strength of the Lifeforce is an increase in the low level detail of the music.  This gives the music a higher level of clarity and precision, a much firmer stereo image, and a much more natural sound.

Low-level detail is a real benchmark of an audio system’s quality.  Classical music is all about musical detail, decay, and notes fading to infinity.  The more an audio system is able to resolve these musical notes, details, and decays the more natural the music will sound. The more low level detail present, the lower one needs the volume to be, in order to hear everything that is there in the music.  If you have to turn up the volume in order to “get into the music”, well, it’s just not there. It’s just loud.

I have made numerous changes to my audio system through the years.  And some of the more profound changes have been amplifier changes.  Going to a BAT VK60 several years ago, made the music overall sound so much better than before.  The Aksa N+ kept the VK60 tonality and added superb bass response and driver control, as I described in my testimonial that is still on the website.  And now………………
The Lifeforce has increased the low level detail that is in the recorded music, to a superb level.  And I think it is a performance level on par with, or beyond, the highest performing audio amplifiers.

I think this is why the music sounded so very good at Hugh’s.  The Lifeforce seems to raise the level of performance of the total audio system to a very high level.  I certainly think this is what Aurelius was alluding to in his comments about Hugh’s system with Lifeforce being a notch above his N+ w/Orion’s.

Much has already been written about the increase in bass performance of the Lifeforce over the N+.  Classical music doesn’t exactly have the pulsating bass line of most popular music.  Classical bass is more of a foundation to the sound of the orchestra, best done with a large bass driver or subwoofer.  My system here has neither.  Yet there have been times in certain pieces when I’ve noticed the tympanis sounding much louder than before, and other times where there was a greater firmness to the orchestral foundation.

The other day I put on a couple of old popular music rbcd’s that I still have in my collection. And like WOW, where’d that bass come from!  It was like my nice little 55-watt amp had become a mini Krell. And my 7-inch W18E lower woofer (the .5 woofer) had become a 12-inch bass monster.  This definitely got my attention!
Oh, and I must mention that I wouldn’t really think of this quality as slam.  I don’t really think that slam is a very good musical term; although I realize that others might beg to differ.  I’d rather say that it’s “increased bass performance”.

At this same time, I also put on a couple classical rbcd’s still in the collection.  Again, another WOW, as I heard more resolution and detail than ever before in these discs.  It was somewhat like the resolution had almost risen up to sacd level, although not quite.

In conclusion, the Lifeforce is such a high performer that every other component in the audio system seems to also have it’s level of performance significantly raised as well.
I think the Lifeforce is the most cost effective improvement one can make to one’s audio system, provided of course that you already have an Aksa.

I rather like this Lifeforce amplifier.  It gives the music a Life Force all it’s own.  Or perhaps I should say that it gives the music more LIFE!!!!

Steve

AKSA

« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2006, 10:53 pm »
Steve,

Many thanks for a carefully thought out review of the Lifeforce - much appreciated!

I spent too long seeking out this breakthrough, and there are lots of rejects on the cutting room floor!  However, when it arrived in mid-May, my techniques were so honed that bringing it to market took only a couple of months.  This has been my greatest innovation since the drive system on the Glass Harmony, and I'm feeling a certain satisfaction about it.  However, it's one thing to have a good idea;  it's another to bring it to commercial success.

At this stage the trade-in offer will last at least until the end of this year, and possibly longer.  I want all present AKSA owners to have first take at the Lifeforce, and in the meantime I'm working on a fantastic case design!  It is true I'm trying to produce a commercial product - from my careful listening of a few high end amps in the marketplace I know the LF is up there with the best - but I can never abandon my existing customers, and I will continue to offer the AKSA as well.

I think Steve nailed it very well.  The benefits of this new design revolve around low level resolution, and manifest as extraordinary dimensionality to the sound field, no loss of loudness or musical appeal as the volume is reduced, with increased bandwidth and drive.  As many are aware, I love tubes, but I am convinced I could not improve on the LF performance using tubes.  I've tried for years to deliver a truly superior hybrid amp - with the exception of the Glass Harmony, none of them come close to the Lifeforce.

Aspen's change of business direction is not draconian and won't be immediately obvious.  I make that very clear.  I have been advised that my reputation will suffer, that all my customers will desert the fold, and that DIYers will spit in the dust at mention of my name!!  But the business will, in addition to kits, move towards retail manufacture, and this is simply because the lower margins and very high service obligations of DIY do occasionally cause business difficulties.

Steve, thank you again!

Cheers,

Hugh

jules

« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2006, 11:34 pm »
Excellent clear write up Steve.

I admire anyone who has a go at expressing an evaluation like this. I have to admit I'd feel uncomfortable using almost any of the accepted terms such as audition, slam, crystalline etc since they often seem to mean different things to different people.

There's a common feel to your evaluation and to earlier ones that adds up to a significant advance in this latest amp.

Hugh,

I sense from your post that you've been re-energized by your achievement here so maybe you'll reap the rewards of long persistance. I'm also pleased to hear you're planning a splendid case to match your creation. You know what a pain I can be about nice case-work  :wink:. You wouldn't consider a limited run release of Glass Harmonies would you  :roll:?

Ginger,

any tweaks yet  :)

jules

AKSA

« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2006, 12:43 am »
Hi Jules,

Yes, much invigorated, thank you!!

The GH dissipates 150W of heat per channel continuously, while producing only 28wpc.  In a green world, I'm not too happy about this, and it's also very expensive to make as all magnetics are custom wound.

Here's the GH to give you some idea of the build -
Aspen Glass Harmony

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2006, 10:57 pm by AKSA »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #47 on: 13 Aug 2006, 07:51 am »
Hello Hugh....Maybe try this link......the above led to a "Maui WOWIE".... :o
Chris

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 13 Aug 2006, 08:04 am »
Thanks Chris :)

The image you refer to has been removed.

Hugh, your link was a "last posted" link. Not a direct link to the relevant gallery. Yeah I know, it confuses me too :oops:

AKSA

« Reply #49 on: 13 Aug 2006, 10:00 am »
Thanks Chris, John,

For some reason - my own thick head no doubt - I find linking to images really difficult in php.

Am I the only one?

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #50 on: 14 Aug 2006, 10:36 pm »
Damn – I’ve been repossessed.

Hugh came around last night and retrieved the LF100 demonstrator from my clutches.  Can’t complain really, had it for over a week and I’ll miss it greatly.  So I thought I would summarise what I felt after living with it for a short while.

Well firstly, my overall impressions as previously reported are unchanged.  It is a truly lovely amp.  However, this does perversely provide a small downside.  I have realised that the LF is so good that it really does show up deficiencies in the source side of things, more than anything I’ve experienced in the past.  In early years, my speakers were the weakest link in my chain but with the symbiotic pairing of Vandersteen and LifeForce, I am now going to have to look very carefully at my phono and CD sources (and pre for that matter) to get an equivalent capability or at least reasonable balance.  After the last week or so of critical listening, an average CD spinner will just not cut it for me now.

I do not take this in any way as a negative (cost of balancing up the system), rather as a comforting realisation that the LF is so good, it is unlikely that I will need to consider an amplifier upgrade for some considerable time if ever.  Come on Hugh, where is my order… :)

ginger

« Reply #51 on: 18 Aug 2006, 05:07 am »
Ginger,

any tweaks yet  :)

jules
jules,
Give us a break!!! Let me have a listen to it FIRST.
I've had my LF55 for 2 days now. Have left it running 24 hrs a day and so it will have 50 hours - ish on the clock when I get home from work today (Friday).

So Monday I'll have the weekend listening plus the second opinion from the cleaning lady - direct comparison with my "super modified" 55N+.

If you want to mess about yourself I would suggest that what worked on the 55N+ would also work on the LF55 that is:
Use Blackgate Standards for each of the 100uF/50V electrolytics (and one 47uF/35V electrolytic).
Use 2 off "Super E" connected 100uF/50 Blackgate N for the bootstrap cap (C7 on the LF board)

One HUGE Caveat: With the Lifeforce we are not talking about a DIY thing with DIY support anymore. Its supplied as a working module with a warranty - that is normal commercial rules apply. You modify it , you void your warranty. If you then blow it up, you pay for the repair. If you are not prepared to accept that then don't try modifying it. Also the design is "Commercial in Confidence" and whatever "reverse engineering" you do, you are obliged to keep to yourself.

Hugh - you my wish to comment on the above BUT that would seem reasonable to me - and I think fairly describes your legal responsibilities and Intellectual Property rights.

Oh!! alright I confess. Before turning it on I replaced the 100uF/50V electrolytics (except for the Blackgate). Just happens I had received a order from Farnell that day for Farnell Order Code 812-7077 (89 cents each). These are Rubycon ZLH Series 100uF/50V which are a recently released upgrade of the highly regarded Rubycon ZL Series and their spec sheet states "Ideally suited for switching power supplies, ... ,HIGH END AUDIO, ....".
Just as well I'm confident of doing my own repairs.

Cheers,
Ian (Ginger)
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2006, 05:50 am by ginger »

jules

« Reply #52 on: 18 Aug 2006, 06:07 am »
 :), didn't think you could resist ginger.

My comment was strictly  tongue in cheek as I'm not the owner of an LF ... at this stage. I'm also very aware of my limitations when it comes to tweaking and not particularly risk averse.

I'm still back at the GK-1 point of my journey and just expecting a parcel of bits from Michael Percy that should let me finish it off and include your LED mod along with a Relcap RTX at C1.

jules

AKSA

« Reply #53 on: 18 Aug 2006, 08:40 am »
Ginger,

Ulp, er, yes, that about describes it.......  at least to the extent that it's no longer a DIY product which comes with a kit of bits.....

However, since the AKSA owners have always respected my IP - to my knowledge there has never been a breach and I'm very grateful for that - my attitude will be that the slightest malfunction will draw my immediate attention and likely result in after sales service along the lines already established.  Of course, I may regret this - who knows - but the risk is mine, not the buyers, and that's only right and proper.

Ian I've just obtained a few thousand of the UCC KZE caps in 120uF 63VW.  These are the United Chemicon response to the ZLH from Rubycon, and they to are specced to 100KHz.  I might slip you a couple to try out - specs look outstanding - 0.076R @ 100Khz.

Jules, I'm sure there are tweaks to the Lifeforce.  But I've thrown about everything I can at it - there's more tricks than a monkey on a mile of vine - and I would reckon it's up there with the world's best, but if you find any AND you don't cause damage, do PLEASE let me know!!

Cheers,

Hugh

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #54 on: 18 Aug 2006, 09:38 am »
Sorry if I have missed this point, I have looked. What if I want to keep my 55n and get a LF55. Is that a possibility, or do I have to loose my 55n. I would like both, as the 55 would be used for a different purpose than the LF which would become my amp for my mains.
On another point, any thoughts about using the LF with 99bd speakers?

Thanks
Nigel

AKSA

« Reply #55 on: 18 Aug 2006, 09:59 am »
Nigel,

Thanks for the post - no problem at all.  Just a bit pricey - you loose the trade-in.

The full price is $AUD1130 for two fully built, tested and warrantied LF 55 modules, and $AUD1650 for the two LF100 modules.

As long as you are an AKSA customer, no issue at all, I will throw the products open to the market in about six months, depending on demand, which at present is pretty good and keeping me VERY busy!

Cheers,

Hugh

RonR

« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2006, 11:00 am »
Hugh,

I'm just in the first stages of thinking about the possibility of Bi-Amping the Aksonics with 1 x 55N+ and 1 x Lifeforce.

If an existing customer ordered a Lifeforce 55 without the trade-in, would this include the Heat sink, PSU board and components, or would there be a separate charge for those?

Cheers,

Ron.

andyr

« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2006, 11:25 am »
Hugh,

I'm just in the first stages of thinking about the possibility of Bi-Amping the Aksonics with 1 x 55N+ and 1 x Lifeforce.

If an existing customer ordered a Lifeforce 55 without the trade-in, would this include the Heat sink, PSU board and components, or would there be a separate charge for those?

Cheers,

Ron.

Hi Ron,

As I understand it, passive bi-amping (as distinct from active bi-amping) is not a pertickoolarly cost effective way of going about things.   :D

As turning the AKSonics into an active speaker is not an option (because Hugh does not publish the crossover slopes and HP/LP frequencies, to enable you to built the active equivalent), you would do much better trading in the AKSA 55N+ for a LF55 and using this to drive your AKSonics by itself.

Of course, using an LF as well as your current 55N+ would certainly make your AKSonics sound better than just the 55N+ ... but so would using just a LF in place of the 55N+.   :)

And if you bi-amped, you'd have to make the crucial decision ... is it better to have the LF on the base and the 55N+ on the treble ... or vice versa!   :o  After all, the LF bests the 55N+ in both!!    :o

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2006, 01:23 pm »
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the post.

Good question.

I think we'd need to add a nominal charge to cover these bits.  That would be around $120 more, but this would also include a new, fully built power supply.  I can't overlook that fact that if the LF goes into an existing AKSA installation, with heatsink and power supply, and if it becomes a completely different, standalone amp, these extra hefty bits would need to be paid for somehow.

That said, Ron, I believe I agree with Andy;  the lack of intermodulation of this amplifier is so impressive that even full range I believe you'd never need to consider active systems again.

However, the taste for actives is unique, a bit like electrostatic speakers, and I would certainly understand if you really wanted to do this......  It's universally used in large venue sound reinforcement, so there are certainly good technical reasons for actives.

Cheers,

Hugh

RonR

« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2006, 09:05 pm »
Andy and Hugh,

Yes, it was passive Bi-Amping I was thinking about. The Aksonic crossover looks as if it was designed with Bi-Wiring and Bi-Amping  in mind.
I was thinking of putting the LF on tweeter duty, as my current 55N+ isn't bass shy at all! :rock: On the other hand, I'd hate to miss out on the even more articulate bass and low mids delivered by the LF.

As I understand it, in Bi-Amping the output stage of each amp is tuned by the treble or bass half of the speaker crossover. So the question is: Would the LF powering both crossover halves/drivers better the 55N+ driving just one? From your replies, it seems like the answer is an emphatic yes, in which case this may be a non-starter.

Cheers,

Ron.