New RC5 pictures

Bingenito

Re: New RC5 pictures
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2006, 02:10 pm »
Sorry guys. I prefer not to provide full reviews until I have spent about 1 month with the product. Just trying to be fair and accurate. I know everyone is probably say sure they look great but how to they sound.....

I can tell you that these speakers were created using some specific design criteria such as:
* Output/ Dynamics had to sound and feel real (you are there) regardless of the volume
* Excellent detail retrieval without edginess especially in the critical midrange
* The overall sound (driver integration, etc) had to be very natural, full and round- Vocals always tell the truth here
* Extended treble with plenty of air
* Imaging and soundstage had to be first rate
* Easy load for amplifers
* The speakers had to be visually attractive (let's face it we do not like to buy ugly stuff)

The design goals mentioned above were all achieved and then some. I had 3 friends come by last night with 2 kids and they wanted to check out the newest system since they have heard all of the others. After the first track everyone shut up (making teenage girls be quiet is nearly impossible so these speakers may posses some mysterious capabilities). Someone commented that the music appeared to be coming from my equipment which is centered between the speakers 4ft back. I would agree :)

My initial impressions are that the RC5 conveys music in the most natural way I have heard in a home audio system. All instruments and vocals just seem real. Not just because of the speakers tone but the output is somewhat shocking. Drums, Piano, Cello will load the room with rich full bass even at low volumes. You just feel the presence of every instrument as you would with a live band. Having 2- 10" Aura Sound woofers can move some serious air to produce probably the most articulate bass to date. There is less room interaction then in some of the previous single woofer speakers I have used.

The Seas Excel Nextel midranges have awesome dispersion and all the detail you would ever want. The difference from these drivers and others is that they sound good with just about any genre of music. Warm side of neutral, full and rich but with detail. Certainly a rare combination. Hats off to Seas for the drivers and Rick for his work implementing them. Using 2 midranges in an MTM controls the vertical dispersion and provides more overall cone area, so just like the bass output mid-bass is equally impressive on male vocals, plucked strings, etc.

The Seas tweeter is excellent. All of my past systems used ribbons. I love ribbons when properly implemented but really was looking for a different sound/ design. Ribbon MTMs can be limited in the crossover between the tweeter and midrange. The low FS of the dome makes sense. So we selected one of the best dome tweeters available. Visually and sonically it is a perfect make with the Seas Nextel midranges. Images float around the room. The treble is smooth and sweet just the way I like it!

A full review will be posted at a later date. I would also invite others to come by for a listen and post their impressions.

Al Garay

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2006, 05:00 pm »
This is enough to wet the appetite and excite the imagination.

bubba67

« Reply #22 on: 7 Aug 2006, 08:35 pm »
Bryan, what are your impressions of the RC5 now that you've had it about a month?

Bingenito

« Reply #23 on: 9 Aug 2006, 12:13 am »
Good question!

It has been a few weeks and I have spent that time working on placement and system optimization. Overall the speakers have improved from my initial posting which is normal as the drivers settle in and you tweak to perfection.

I am also listening on various gear so that I can provide more detail on a few levels on electronics and cables.

To be 100% fair in my review I will listen for another week of so before I do a full blown review.

Thank you

Bryan