My Timepiece 2.1s have returned

Double Ugly

My Timepiece 2.1s have returned
« on: 15 Jul 2006, 03:05 am »
Yes, the 2.1s are back.

Yes, it appears Bob's correction for the forwardness/hardness/harshness/whatever is effective, and the speakers sound much better. 

How much better?  I don't know yet because much of the crossover has been changed and the speakers have less than 24 hours on them.  I'll post more after everything has had time to settle.

-Jim

Freejazz

Re: My Timepiece 2.1s have returned
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2006, 03:46 am »
Jim,

Glad to hear they are back and ready to (rock and) roll ! 

We will be interested to hear how things work out.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2006, 03:50 am »
Nice to see someone got a delivery today....looking forward to the new comments.
Jim, do you know if the others will be receiving their's soon ? Thanks !!
Chris

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2006, 04:17 am »
Jim,
 Good news indeed it will be interesting to hear your comments after break-in.

I wonder if the xovers are more closer to what I have or still different. To my ears
I’ve never had a problem with hard/hash sound or brightness after break-in but they are very true to the
Source feeding them (bad or good).

Pete

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2006, 12:52 pm »
Nice to see someone got a delivery today....looking forward to the new comments.
Jim, do you know if the others will be receiving their's soon ? Thanks !!
Chris
Sorry to hear about the non-delivery, Chris.  :(  Did they ever call back?

I don't think there are "others."  The only other pair I know to be returned will be shipped to Russell Dawkins Monday.  The others were demo units, and I don't believe any of those are going back out.  I don't think Bob has time to fix them anyway, what with the NuForce speaker thing right around the corner.

Jim,
 Good news indeed it will be interesting to hear your comments after break-in.

I wonder if the xovers are more closer to what I have or still different. To my ears
I’ve never had a problem with hard/hash sound or brightness after break-in but they are very true to the
Source feeding them (bad or good).

Pete

Hi Pete,

A lot of it has to do with the amp involved.  If I recall correctly, you have a pair of beastly SimAudio monoblocks capable of driving seriously difficult loads.  That being the case, you'd never notice the problem.  Jim Merod in LA is in a similar position in that his DNA 500 has no problem driving the 'uncorrected' (for lack of a better term) crossover.  He tells Bob the speakers are amazing, fantastic, etc., etc...not unlike you.  :wink:

The important thing is that you're happy.  If you should want to get them updated some day, I don't think that'd be a problem...especially with the RMAF taking place in your home town every year.  You won't even have to ship them back.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2006, 04:02 pm by Double Ugly »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2006, 02:55 am »
DU/Jim:
Sorry to hear about the non-delivery, Chris.    Did they ever call back?
They >>called me<< today Jim....said tomorrow the amp will arrive....I sure hope so. 8)
Hope the new, improved , TP's are coming along nicely. Thanks again !!
Chris

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2006, 03:56 am »
Earlier today, someone asked why I hadn't written anything about the 2.1s.  I've had them going on two weeks now, and he assumed that if things were going well, I'd be posting about it.  He also suggested that if he took my silence as a negative, others probably were, too.

With that in mind, I submit the following -

• Due to several personal issues, I've not had nearly as much time for critical listening as I'd like.
  • Even so, the improvements wrought by Bob's 'corrections' were immediately noticeable, despite the fact that many of the crossover components were new.
  • Aside from the issues addressed by Bob's fix, I have noticed a fair amount of improvement as the crossover has burned-in.  Some were subtle, some less so.  But since I don't know that the break-in process is complete, and since I haven't had time to critically listen, I don't feel it's wise to post specifics just now.
  • I sold my digital front-end today, it will be a while before I am able to replace it with anything of a commensurate quality.  Consequently, the final analysis will be delayed indefinitely.

I hope this clears up any doubts or wrong assumptions that may be out there.  For now, I'm encouraged by what I've heard, but it will be some time before I am able to render a final verdict.  If you're looking for something sooner, perhaps one of the other recent recipients of the corrected speakers can oblige.

Regards,

-Jim

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2006, 09:22 am »
DU, I wish I lived closer to you, so that I can lend you a Vacuum State SACD/CD player. :roll:

On a separate note, I'm replacing the internal wiring of my Timepieces and will report my findings here once it's done. Silver all the way this time.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2006, 10:24 pm »
DU, I wish I lived closer to you, so that I can lend you a Vacuum State SACD/CD player. :roll:

Thanks...I appreciate the sentiment.  I guess now would be a good time to have that vinyl rig you mentioned, huh?  :lol:

On a separate note, I'm replacing the internal wiring of my Timepieces and will report my findings here once it's done. Silver all the way this time.

Interesting.  I paid for a pair of Revelations to be wired with pure silver wire, but Bob said neither he nor Karsten noticed a difference.

Please be sure to post your findings.

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2006, 02:49 am »
DU, if you mean you got your Revelations silver-wired while they were being built--smart!  The point-to-point construction of the crossover makes it very difficult to rewire.

I spent almost six hours yesterday and only completed the re-wiring on one of the Timepieces.

As for the vinyl rig--Embrace the force of the dark side, my friend :lol: