Hey Mr Moderator....

Andy G

Re: Hey Mr Moderator....
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2006, 07:42 am »
Thanks for visiting !!  Few people "understand "    :lol:

It was good to see you again, and it was good to meet Nigel, and to have the extra ears available. 
You get used to certain things, and extra ears always helps keep your perspective.

If I get time in the next weeks, I'll try to visit Nigel and you to see new stuff. !!!

catch ya

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2006, 01:21 am »
It was an interesting visit to Andy's place. Its like going to a music musuem, with years of projects on display. For me I liked the Windswepts for tonal balance, but his big line array were very dynamic. Interesting hearing the different flavuors. Thanks Andy :D

Nigel

rabbitz

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:22 pm »
Should have the new stuff ready in a couple of weeks Andy. One speaker signed off today and just have to build the final xo and another has the box almost complete and then to fine tune the xo but should be quite simple as it's the FR125S fullrange and the Peerless Nomex woofer.

Andy G

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2006, 08:38 am »
Yo Jules,

Are you are still interested on doing a Newcastle roadtrip?  I'm pretty snowed under with Uni stuff until 28th August, but could still find time if required, better after that though.  Peter and Nigel are somewhere about, just a matter of getting organised !!!

rabbitz

« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2006, 11:58 am »
Hey Andy.... got the fullrange + woofer speaker called the Mongrel going.

http://www.rzaudio.com/rz52/mongrel.htm

It will stay in this form for a little while and then will be cut and shut into something else.

I noticed you have a fullrange + woofer speaker on the go as well. When time permits for both of us, you'll have to pop over for a listen.

Andy G

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2006, 12:27 am »
I have to correct you on that one Rabbitz..   :nono:

I have ideas and drivers for the full range + woofer thing but it doesn't exist yet !!    :lol:

looks like you copied my idea though  :thumb:

I could probably find some time to zip around in the arvo sometime this or next week.

rabbitz

« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug 2006, 11:05 am »
I saw something on your site as a project so I thought it was away. There's not too many ways to combine a FR and a woofer but I'm sure you'll come up with something different.

This one is eventually going to be changed so I can use a 2-way (27TFFC + 850488) or FR (FR125S) on top depending on the mood (I do miss a tweeter with a FR) and will use the same 830875 Nomex in the bottom box.

Monday 14th, Tuesday 15th or Wednesday 16th arvo are cool. Let me know Andy.

jules

« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2006, 06:08 am »
Andy, rabbitz and oldtimer,

thanks for the ongoing contributions. There's a definite flavour developing here and the sharing of ideas is a refreshing part  of it.

I'll be making my own contribution in the form of some CAD plans for my amp box [complete] and a pre-amp box I'm developing so maybe some open source ideas will become a hallmark of the circle.

Andy, yes, I want to get down there and meet some of the newcastle circle. I've got a few tasks I need to complete here at the moment but I hope it'll be in the next couple of months.

jules

Andy G

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2006, 06:28 am »
My mid semester break is first 2 weeks of October.

rabbitz

« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2006, 12:45 pm »
Andy dropped over and had a listen with the Scan-Speak 2-way getting the thumbs up  :thumb: and the FR hybrid getting the thumbs down :bomb:..... needs a tweeter for sure which confirmed my thoughts. The FR will come out and a SEAS tweeter and Peerless mid woofer will go in, with series xo of course.

The little SEAS - Peerless bookshelf got positive comments but a bit forward for Andy  :rock:. Going to do a comparo at Andy's with his that are similar.

Another good visit to make sure I'm on track.... thanks Andy. More ears helps big time.

Andy G

« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2006, 01:53 pm »
It has been established that I prefer a slightly warmer sound than Peter  8)

Yep, the SS were rather nice, clean accurate, a very nice 2-way implementation  :thumb:

the full range was missing the top end, picked that within 2 bars of music (but that's full-rangers for ya) :rotflmao:   

I did find the Peerless 2-way a tad aggressive.. 

Ain't it fun how speakers all have different characters.  !!

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2006, 06:54 am »
Peters 2 way Scan-Speak are very nice indeed. The midbass is very detailed, and fast, but not to forward. Peter likes an up front sound, just a little more than me, but I can apprieciate these speakers, Peters best yet.
I have not heard the "Mungrels" yet, but I am a dyed in the wool Fullrange man,so I may like them regardless  :thumb: The only way to get B200's off me would be to pull them from my cold dead hands  :D

I have been busy building 6 subs, with the final model finished using 2 Vifa M26wr09-08's in Puss/Pull config in a BR box of 62.5ltres tuned to 23hz. Very musical, fast and tight. The bass seems very decoupled from the room. So I am busy making 2 off these in 36mm MDF. I will post some pics of construction and finished subs.

Happy listening
Nigel

DSK

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2006, 07:31 am »
Andy dropped over and had a listen with the Scan-Speak 2-way getting the thumbs up  :thumb: ...

Hey Peter, just wondering what drivers you used in the SS 2-way? I'm currently building (not my design) a 2-way using SS 8531G Revelator and Fountek CD3 ribbon tweeter.

rabbitz

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2006, 12:02 pm »
Hi DSK

I used the 18W/8531G00 and the S2905/970000. It took quite a while to get the crossover right due to the peak that kicks off after 1kHz in the mid woofer. Finally nailed it with an AR type series crossover and was extremely frustrating up to that point. The ports are still being fine tuned but quite close. The BSC is done by box tuning in combination with the crossover.

These speakers really show up any changes and component quality which sometimes can make it harder when testing but when it's right..... mmmmmm.

OK Nigel, you should hear them now and I can't remember whether the crossover was in the box or using the test rig. The bass has now been sorted.

Listened to Nigel's new sub last night and very musical indeed and doesn't dominate.... it enhances. It's made a big impact on the complete system and will be glad when he gets the Charlize back in there as I still have fond memories of that working with the B200.