How to clean internals of AVA amp?

Zheeeem

Re: How to clean internals of AVA amp?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2006, 09:53 pm »

I knew the water content in the 91% isopropyl would be higher, but figured it was deionized water, or at least very pure water (relatively speaking), since the alcohol is sold in the pharmacy for uses including topical disinfectant.  Assuming that mechanical action during cleaning (bumping, brushing, etc) is not significant, the main pitfalls with using pure (deionized) water to clean solid state electronic components are (1) not allowing complete drying, and (2) ionic contamination.  Correct?

Water is incredibly corrosive.  As far as an electric circuit goes, within normal bounds it doesn't really matter how much it's contaminated with other stuff.  It will corrode metal parts and work its way into all sorts of unwanted places.

You were lucky.

Not entirely sure that high pressure air is great, either.  It tends to force water deeper into cracks and crevices.

One of my hobbies is underwater photography.  It's taught me a lot about water and electronics.  As a general rule, when they mix, the electronics loses.  But, sometimes you get lucky.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2006, 09:59 pm »
This is a audio forum. Last I check, we listen to the audio equipment with our ears, not sniffing with our noise.

Granted, the guy has a smelly amp, and we have provided him with the best solution to resolve the issue. But this guy just keeps going on and on and on about the smell of his amp, and the ratio of the cleaning solution.

Wear a mask while you are listening and have Frank to design some amp with better smell. I am sure he can find people like Zheewhatever to share his smell, but it's just what it is, a bunch of  Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z.........

rustneversleeps

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2006, 10:00 pm »
sniffing it with our noses, that is

Nick B

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2006, 10:26 pm »
What compulsion is it that causes you to continue to comment on a subject you have no interest in??   :scratch:        Just like with TV.............don't tune in   

Grover

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:12 pm »
I'm the one who recommended the 99% alcohol bath.  I learned this trick from Jim Hagerman (Hagtech Circle) where he said he soaks his circuit boards in 99% isopropyl alcohol, then blasts 'em with a leaf blower to dry them off.  I've tried it on circuit boards myself and it works great.

But I think Frank Van Alstine has already posted recommending NOT TO DO THAT with his equipment (the soak).  I'll speak for him and say that I believe he would probably recommend against the leaf blower as well.  :o

But the way I read the original post, it seemed like the amp was unusable in it's current form and the guy was just looking for some ideas.  Giving an amp a bath is a desperate measure, and I can't imagine that anyone would think this is OK on a general basis.  But it seemed like the amp was already ruined, so what are you going to do, ruin it further?  I'm a little nervous about the 9% water bath, and think there might be some problems come up later.  Hopefully not.

As for this thread, it's one of the stranger ones I've ever participated in.  I don't see any harm in it as long as people don't start getting the idea that it's OK to give their equipment a bath.  Hey, how about in the diswasher?  Great Idea!

And if Frank doesn't want this thread in his circle, I'm pretty sure he has the ability to move it to the Limbo Circle.

gitarretyp

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:18 pm »
I'm the one who recommended the 99% alcohol bath.  I learned this trick from Jim Hagerman (Hagtech Circle) where he said he soaks his circuit boards in 99% isopropyl alcohol, then blasts 'em with a leaf blower to dry them off.  I've tried it on circuit boards myself and it works great.

It's not uncommon to wash a circuit board in alcohol, but i wouldn't dunk an entire amp in alcohol (especially not 91% pure).

Tinkerer

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2006, 12:25 am »

It's not uncommon to wash a circuit board in alcohol, but i wouldn't dunk an entire amp in alcohol (especially not 91% pure).

I am currently employed by a major electronics manufacturer, who produces assemblies with surface mount components wave or reflow-soldered to circuit boards.

In this plant, isopropyl alcohol is used everywhere to clean circuit board assemblies that are in the troubleshoot/repair areas.

Most of this material is identical or very similar to most of the guts of a solid state (non-tube) amp, except in scale.

On the water question:  My colleague in the Chem Lab at work, a Sr. Materials Engineer, mentioned that deionized water would not hurt the electronics, as long as it was pure and deionized.  (No ions in water = no electrical conductivity.  High School level science experiment, if you're interested in verifying it.)

I originally posted this thread because I figured that someone in this forum (especially Mr. Van Alstine) might know a better way to clean the amp.  Apparently not, but that's OK - I figured out how to clean it anyway.  (My employer does over $1B per year since the early '80s...they probably know what they're doing...)

I'd say that problems with water causing corrosion in electronics (or anything, for that matter) involve either ions (= electrolytic solution), and/or a galvanic couple due to dissimilar metals in that solution.  (The two passive conditions that cause corrosion, ya know...the other ways being active, such as electrolysis etc.)  It is possible that even with the use of deionized water to clean things, some ions already present in stuff on the components might be dissolved in that water, rendering it ionic - and therefore a problem.  But using isopropyl alcohol would tend to wash away such ionic stuff, preventing any problems from same.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.  It's been fun.  The amp is mostly smell-free now, but it will probably undergo one more good cleaning & drying cycle, this time with a good set of small brushes to really get the details clean.

(And, thanks to the troll named rustneversleeps, for reminding us that dingleberries such as he still do exist, and still continue to post their unwanted negative bilge everywhere, even in a better forum such as this.)