Lifeforce

wmeckle

Re: Lifeforce
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jul 2006, 02:19 pm »

On a more serious note, Lifeforce 55 prices are now posted here:  http://www.aksaonline.com/buying/buying_price.html

Hi Hugh:
    Are those prices listed for a pair of moduals ?

AKSA

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jul 2006, 10:26 pm »
Yes, Bill, remove TWO modules of the N+ and replace with TWO modules of the Lifeforce, built and tested.  Marvel at the build quality!!

Small job;  should take the guy who built the amp originally about half an hour.

Cheers,

Hugh

SamL

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jul 2006, 11:45 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Just to clearified, will the LF upgrade include the N+ power supply pcb & caps for those who currently on std & N version?

Sam

AKSA

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jul 2006, 11:50 pm »
Absolutely, Sam,

This is included, as an essential upgrade to N+ standard.

I'm sorry I did not make it clear!

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jul 2006, 02:40 am »
Hey, that's a pretty cool and reasonable upgrade... Thanks, Hugh... Now... when's the upgrade for the 100w version coming? :)

AKSA

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jul 2006, 06:03 am »
Hey Carl,

That'll be burger with the lot??   :thumb:

Gimme a couple months.......   :deadhorse:

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jul 2006, 07:19 am »
Could I just clarify the PSU upgrade? The main filter caps are replaced? Thanks :)

(I have the 55N)

AKSA

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jul 2006, 07:39 am »
Yes, you got it John,

For the N and stockers, all four filter caps are replaced and a new pcb is supplied.  You transfer your existing rectifiers, however.

The upgrade costs reflect the additional cost of these parts and a fee reflecting the increased parts quality of the Lifeforce, up there with the N+.

John, congratulations on the publication of your software architecture text!!  An incredible achievement, you must have drunk a LOT of coffee!!

Cheers,

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jul 2006, 07:56 am »
Coffee in the morning, and red wine at night....

Now I'm trying to get something useful done in my audio hobby now that that's over... :D

Thank you Hugh for your kind remarks :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #49 on: 7 Jul 2006, 08:44 am »
Hugh, why does the PSU PCB need to be replaced? Are the cap pinouts different?

Thanks ;)

AKSA

« Reply #50 on: 7 Jul 2006, 10:24 am »
John,

It actually doesn't, pinouts are indeed the same, but I've redone the pcb and changed manufacturers since you received yours and it looks MUCH nicer.  Including a new ps pcb is a nice touch....... :lol:

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #51 on: 7 Jul 2006, 10:36 am »
Thanks Hugh :) I don't much care how it looks inside, but it's nice to have the choice :)

PM sent :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:55 am »
Folks,

At present I'm trying to get as many unbiased informal Lifeforce reviews as I can so that you can make a considered, measured choice.  I'm building up an inventory of tested modules, but am awaiting a new batch of pcbs.  I've started on the wiring instructions, and am also building a complete 100W version.

I'm feeling really upbeat about this amp;  it has extraordinary performance and it's very difficult to imagine I could do any better - I feel as though I've found buried treasure!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jul 2006, 02:36 pm »
And with all the fuss that people are talkin' about, specially Hugh, im feelin' a bit like one of the pirates that has his cut in the treasure !! :thumb:  (considering Hugh as captain of "Black Pearl"  :icon_twisted: )

Looking at the prices for the 55w, i think i better start saving my pennies as i will have to upgrade from "just" Nirvana 100w.
It will be nice to have some reviews of the beast though...

As soon as its available Hugh........ :green:

Felipe

PS. Hey...How about a photo of the new module ??? :o :o :o ...
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2006, 03:14 pm by Felipe »

DSK

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jul 2006, 03:20 pm »
...It will be nice to have some reviews of the beast though...

Felipe, stay tuned for a more complete appraisal in the next few days. Meanwhile, let me just say that this amp is not simply a refinement of the N+ ... it is in another class. I reserve the right to fine tune gradings after further listening, but after 6 hours of critical listening so far ... AKSA = 7.5/10, N+ = 8.5/10, LF = 9.7/10.

AKSA

« Reply #55 on: 10 Jul 2006, 10:35 pm »
Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your nice comments;  just don't compare me to Johnny Depp's feeble efforts in 'Pirates of the Carribean'.......

You can find a nice picture of the new module in the website under Products|Lifeforce 55!  It's one of the best photos I've taken with my trusty old Fuji S3800 - I still can't believe I took it in dull winter light without a flash!

Darren,

Thank you for your comments, appreciated.  I had painted myself into a corner with stock AKSA 7, Nirvana 8 and N+ 9.2;  you've revised the ranking - and surprised me!  I think the three standouts of the LF are the incredible resolution, the DC to light bandwidth, and the totally effortless presentation.  This amp now pips the post on the Glass Harmony, my standard bearer, and frankly I'm astonished because I never thought an AB would best a Class A SE hybrid.

Cheers,

Hugh

Occam

« Reply #56 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:02 pm »
Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your nice comments;  just don't compare me to Johnny Depp's feeble efforts in 'Pirates of the Carribean'.......
Hugh,

While I've certainly no quibble with your audio acumen, your evaluation of thesbians leaves much to be desired.... Depp's perfomance in Pirates was OUTSTANDING. He captured the stoned Keith Richards qualities perfectly. He is the new Christopher Walken, but pretty. 8)

AKSA

« Reply #57 on: 11 Jul 2006, 12:52 am »
Thank you Paul,

I know better than to joust with you, Sire.......   :lol:

Perhaps I'm a wowser, but drunkedness always irritates me after a time.

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #58 on: 11 Jul 2006, 01:30 am »
Hugh,

While I've certainly no quibble with your audio acumen, your evaluation of thesbians leaves much to be desired.... Depp's perfomance in Pirates was OUTSTANDING. He captured the stoned Keith Richards qualities perfectly. He is the new Christopher Walken, but pretty. 8) ...

Mmmm, Paul ... wot's a "thesbian"?  It sounds like a good word to describe a lesbian actress?  :lol:

Regards,

Andy

bhobba

« Reply #59 on: 11 Jul 2006, 01:36 am »
This amp now pips the post on the Glass Harmony, my standard bearer, and frankly I'm astonished because I never thought an AB would best a Class A SE hybrid.
Hugh you are really wetting my appetite with this and changed my upgrade path once I get my Timepieces delivered (getting closer now).  Now it looks like I will get someting like a Dennon hometheater receiver, upgrade the front amps to the lifeforce, then get a SB3 as my source for serious listening.  Just hope the price is not too high.  Any plans to produce a version that has a switch so you dont need to pull out the plugs to connect your serious source?

Thanks
Bill