Initial impressions of the 8.05

mmakshak

Initial impressions of the 8.05
« on: 30 Jun 2006, 05:47 am »
  I've owned the 8's, 8.01's, 8.02's(all b's with Cardas adaptors).  I now have the 8.05's.  Thank you Jason!  I want to list my initial impression, which is less than 5 hours.  The recommended time is 75 hours of music, but if I don't list this now, with my memory, it will never be listed.  First thing, I could hear the Lingo noise, I believe.  Second, the scratches on an LP were more pronounced.  The 8.05's were midrange oriented.  Unfortunately, there were many changes to my system at the same time.  One, the volume had moved to a higher setting on my RGR preamp.  Second, I put the 8.05's feet on my 4-inch teak(which I bought only because I owed the guy due to my breaking his Balik).  Before I had put the 8.02's directly on the teak-eliminating the 8.02's feet.  Also, at this time, I tried to separate the power cords from the signal cords(recommended by Naim).  No cd player listening, because my cd player is being updated.  One thought comes to mind.  Whether it's true or not, I don't know.  While the 8.02b's with Cardas adaptors, is not disgraced, at all, when comparing to mucho-expensive amps, the treble might be a bit contrived.  I thought that the differences in the 8 series had to do with treble.  In fact, I thought initially that the 8.02's weren't as dynamic as the 8.01's.  That's something to think about, treble versus dynamics.  I also want to mention(and it may be due to Nuforce's assertion about what I would call spaciousness) that the 8.05's might be more spacious.  I think what they are implying here is that you can move your speakers further apart than you had them previously.  I also have to mention that the 8.05's don't need adaptors with a single-ended preamp.  This might affect things.  I will report(from memory-boy is that a risk!) after 75 hours my impressions.

mmakshak

Re: Initial impressions of the 8.05
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2006, 06:14 am »
  I forgot to mention, that unlike other amps, the Nuforces remain interesting whether they get the macrodynamics right or the microdynamics.  With the earlier 8's, I think if you can live with treble a little off, they are great!  The 8.02's do treble very nicely!  I also want to thank those that encouraged me when I couldn't upgrade to the 8.05's(which might eventually lead to the 9.02's).

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2006, 11:01 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the review.  I need to borrow a pair of these amps and listen to them in my system.

Regards

Rocket

mmakshak

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2006, 01:32 am »
  I'm about one-half of the recommended 75 hour music burn-in of the 8.5's.  My impressions are as follows.  First, I'de like to mention that I have a different volume than I had with 8.02's.  I've also separated signal cables from power cables(recommended by Naim), and lifted my speaker cable about 8 inches from the carpet(recommended by Mapleshade).  My friend said that depth has increased in comparison to what he had heard with the 8.02's.  I noticed that, and the base is better also.  There seems to be a further distancing of the sound from the speakers.  I miss a little of the treble info that the 8.02's provided.  The midrange of the 8.05's seems more fleshed out than the midrange on the 8.02's.  I don't know what effect the separation of signal cables from power cables does.  I also don't know what effect lifting my speaker cable has.  It seems like the 8.5's are more authorative than the 8.02's, although volume might influence that.  I'de like to hear comments on the effects on the 8.02's that the separation of cables and the lifting of cables at least 8-inches from the floor has.  I'de also like to hear impressions of the 8.5's versus the 9.02's.

Adamay

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2006, 08:47 pm »
I fear that you're looking for differences where none exist.  If you're referring to the 8.5 (Nuforce site lists no 8.05), then there's no difference between it and the 8.02 except for the box.  I asked about the difference a while back and what benefits to expect when upgrading from 8.02 to 8.5, and Casey replied that the only difference is the box.  See quote below or look up the 8.5 thread.

Quote:

Loved the new Stereo Times review.  As a long-time Ref. 8.02 owner, can I upgrade to the new 8.5, and if so, for how much?  Also, what benefits would I hear in making the upgrade?  Thank you very much. 

nuforce-casey
Registered

Ref. 8.5
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:03:47 am » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's the same 8.02 in a bigger box.    Practically we ran out of the old chassis, and decided to just use the Ref. 9 chassis.

mmakshak

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2006, 12:52 am »
  That's very interesting.  I also have been advised, or read a review that said essentially the same thing.  So far though(although I separated the power cords from the signal cords, and raised the signal cords from my carpet, with the 8.5's)-and it's been less than the 75-hours of music that is recommended as a burn-in,  I find the midrange, especially voices, more fleshed out.  I do miss the treble info that I had with the 8.02's.  Maybe it has to do with the other changes, which includes an inadvertent volume change?  I also, occasionally, hear a slowing of the sound-which I attribute to what goes on while burning-in.  Really, this is at the outer-limits of my abilities on amplifier sound.  I do think that American audiophiles have a certain viewpoint on proper amplifier sound(just don't ask me what that is, because I don't know).  My "Now Playing" is not something that everyone will like.

deBunk

• http://www.perthpunk.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2006, 01:07 am »
My "Now Playing" is not something that everyone will like.

Eeuwh - you're right there.

mmakshak

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2006, 01:35 am »
  Debunk, you aren't the only one.  Let me suggest the side that has "Living in a Fantasy".  It might be less objectionable?  I have to mention that I also traded in my cheap Volex power cords(which I think might be pretty good), for the standard cord, per Maria's adviced.  I'm guessing her recommendation had to do with the feedback she's received over the phone.  The other change(come-on, that's only about 6 changes) was I used 4-inch teak between the footers on the 8.02's.  I now sit the 8.5's feet on the 4-inch teak.  Now, I actually recommend only one change at a time, but you saw how long it took me to even get the 8.5's.

mmakshak

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2006, 03:33 am »
  So maybe what differences I'm talking about mainly have to do with the difference between the stock power cord and the cheap Volex(my Volex didn't have the RFI thing that has been mentioned).  I'de like to ask Nuforce about their feet.  Was there any listening involved when changing the feet from 8.02 to 8.5?  Let's be honest here.  What is the strength of the Nuforce amps?  Forget all the b.s. describing the sound.  The strength of Nuforce has to do with its ability to follow all the changes in the music.  This Nuforce does this, unlike many other amps.  I have to mention that I was waiting for my cd player to dial in proper speaker placement.  With the 8.5's with stock power cord, I feel somewhat free to experiment with speaker placement.  It seems like the midrange is fuller fleshed out and the upper base is better with the 8.5's(which might mean with the stock power cords).  I'de also like to suggest that proper treble needs to be determined with analog and digital, Casey.  There seems to be a problem with treble with regular cd-maybe not with SACD.

mmakshak

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2006, 11:56 pm »
  So far, which is still probably less than the burn-in time(75 hours?), I appreciate the midrange and upper bass with the power cords supplied.  They have the EMF/RFI thing on them.  I miss the treble detail that the cheap Volex's supplied, albeit with noise, on my analog, Silver Resolution system.  Does the EMF/RFI device rob music of treble detail? That would be any EMF/RFI device that I'm referring to.  I would like more treble detail, but I must mention that my speakers are closer to the back wall than they should be, and my tracking force is higher than it was set when I received my Linn.  These two items would make music murkier(clouded).  I must say that my anti-skate is dialed in for this tracking force, so I probably won't be changing the tracking force for awhile.  What I'm actually interested in is maybe the cheap Volex's with an EMF/RFI device on them.  Any money spent on power cords takes away from my saving money towards a P-9(let's get the phono section right on this.) or a 9.02.  Any(cheap) suggestions here?

mmakshak

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2006, 12:03 am »
  I feel that I owe this.  With the cheap Naim power strip(and I could be wrong), the way to plug in components is this:  Power amp(s), preamp, cd player, record player.  This would apply to power supplies of the various components.  If you use a power strip, I'de at least try this recommendation. 

mmakshak

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2006, 12:05 am »
  I forgot to mention that the order of plug-in starts where the power cord comes into the power strip.

mmakshak

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2006, 03:11 am »
  My Nuforce 8.5's might not have the required break-in time yet, but I would say that the power cord is a definite improvement over the Volex's that I had on my 8.02's.  The 8.5's power cord(with the RFI/EMF device near the beginning of the cord) has a better midrange, a deeper soundstage, and better upper base than the Volex's.  I can't comment on the deep bass.  The Volex's did have a treble that was interesting all by itself.  I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Volex's on cd.  This treble was accompanied by a little noise that wasn't objectionable on analog.  The review that said the supplied power cord was too dark, might be mistaken.  The treble is coming out a bit more as the amp is breaking in.  If the full treble comes, I wouldn't characterize the stock power cord as dark.  It's hard to tell right now.  Can I mention something?  You remember when people tried to intimidate you by saying that they had electrostatics?  Did they ever hear the problem with the decay of sound that electrostatics delivered?  I'm exempting Apogee's here, and maybe later designs, but don't let anyone intimidate you about what you hear.  For instance, I would liken the Nuforce amps to horn speakers.  Why would I say that?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2006, 03:53 am »
with the naim strip it's power amp first then preamp, analog sources then digital source last.
this is with analog power amps, i don't know what you would do with a digital power amp.

mmakshak

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:02 am »
  From Naim Audio North America,  given to me with my Wiremold power strip, it describes "A simple system". One, Nap 90 Power amp; Two, Flatcap Power supply for Nac 92 Preamplifier; Three, NA Cd3.5 Compact Disc Player;  Four, Other sources, turntable, etc., in any order.  I've not tried it both ways, and I appreciate the response.

mmakshak

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:06 am »
  It's very interesting that the Naim power strips deviates from their recommended Wiremold power strip.  Maybe they have learned something?  I might try to switch the cd player placement of the power cord, with the Linn LP placement.  I'm not sure that Nuforce are really digital power amps.  I would guess that amps require the most from the mains, and that's why they are placed first?

mmakshak

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2006, 02:37 am »
  First, I want to thank Maria for insisting upon the stock power cords for my new 8.5's.  I believe they beat the cheap Volex's and the standard power cords which came with the earlier versions of the 8's.  I'm not 100 percent sold on the treble, but it's coming on.  I do believe there is a difference between digital and analog when it comes to highs.  Currently, I'm listening only to analog(my APL Denon 3910 is being updated).  I believe that one can get away with more treble emphasis with analog.  This might be objectionable with digital.  Come on Casey, take a look?

mmakshak

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2006, 04:10 am »
  I just want to say that the Nuforce power cords with the 8.5's are incredible.  Thank you Casey!  Forget everything that I said before about them.  I would guess that earlier versions of the 8's would benefit from these power cords(I apologize Nuforce.).  Forget whatever was said about them being dark-sounding.  They needed to break them in, I believe.  If you have an earlier version, upgrade to these power cords.  They are so interesting, it's unbelievable!  What, you didn't think that Casey listened to them? 

mmakshak

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:13 am »
  My risers for my signal cables(mostly speaker cable) cost one-dollar at Dollar Tree.  I use three 16-ounce cups.  I had some extra cups that I used to lift(mostly) the power cords to the amps.  These are the standard power cords that come with the 8.5's.  I noticed that this moved the power cord close to the speaker cable on one side.  I dropped the cups in this instance.  The sound improved dramatically!  Come on, this tweak costs a dollar!

mmakshak

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2006, 03:03 am »
  You guys need to follow me.  I'm not interested in me!  I'm interested in music.