Its not an Evolution but a Revolution

ZLS

Its not an Evolution but a Revolution
« on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:12 am »
...and so I took delivery of the Omega Revolution Speakers today; hooked them up and quickly realized that these are the best speakers I have ever owned. 
    This is the end of the story; let's go back to the begining. 
    February 2005 found me in the market for a new pair of speakers.  I was drawn to single driver speakers for the following reasons.  I have a small listening room with low ceilings and therefore listen near field.  Single driver speakers would present no coherence problems being a perfect point source.  I had low power tube amps and therefore needed efficient speakers.  The music I listen to is 95% acoustic of which 95% of that is small group jazz and jazz vocals.  Finally single driver speakers are relatively inexpensive.  For these reasons (not neccesarily in that order) I ended up hooking up with Louis of Omega Speakers.  He suggested I audition a pair of the Super 3R speakers which I did.  What struck me immediately and continues to do so to this very day is the emotional connection you make with the music through single driver speakers.  You can call it musicality, you can call it pace rthym and timing it does not make any difference.  I listen to music to stir my emotions, and the Omega single driver speakers do that better than any other speakers that i have heard. 
    I purchased the Super 3R's (with 20 inch Skylan stands) and was very happy.  I then saw through the Audio Circle forum that Louis was making a speaker using the Visaton B200 driver.  I called Louis up and he said it was a better driver than the Fostex 4 1/2 inch driver that I was using.  I ordered a pair of A8's and he was right.  The A8's resented a deeper, richer, and overall bigger sound.  All was good. 
    Recently I was speaking to Louis about a custom Amp he was doing the woodwork on for me, and I asked him about the possibility of a floorstanding A8.  The Visaton driver is making big news as the driver of choice for Open Baffle
applications (I think they are on page 6,234 of the thread)  Louis got excited about the idea so I shipped him my A8's.  Through various discussions (He suggested and I listened. ) he came up with a wide baffle floor standing (31 inch high) speaker totally covered in maple veneer.  If you want to see what the speaker looks like go to the Omega website and view the floor standing Hemp speaker pictured there.  Let me put it to you this way, these speakers are so beautiful that they make Angeli Jolie jealous.  Louis has named these speakers the Revolutions. 
    The sound is like the A8's on performance enhancing drugs.  The sound is big, powerful, with a wide and deep soundstage.  All the detail is there, but only as part of the whole of the music.  I personally feel that detail is a noun not an adjective.  The fact that there is more or less detail does not determine whether or not I enjoy a particular piece of equipment. 
    The revolutions make me want to tap my foot.  They make my other equipment sound better. 
    The fact that dealing with Louis is both a learning experience, and a pure unalloyed pleasure only adds to my enjoyment of the speakers. 
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Louis has got himself a winner here. 

ZLS

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Its not an Evolution but a Revolution
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2006, 01:36 am »
ZLS,
I am glad you are happy with your new speaks.
I have an idea what you are hearing, I put a pair of my B200s in a 3.5 cu. ft. box for awhile.
Enjoyed the sound. :D
I know with Louis working his knowledge and experience in them, they sound even better than what I had.
Lin

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2006, 02:36 am »
...and so I took delivery of the Omega Revolution Speakers today; hooked them up and quickly realized that these are the best speakers I have ever owned. 

Hi ZLS,

I'm glad to hear that you received the first pair of Omega Revolutions and are enjoying them...Congratulations!   :rock:

I was able to listen to them a few weeks ago and I agree....they rule!  Like A8s, but a bigger sound all around!  The new Max-Hemps feature the same enclosure dimensions as your Revolutions (the only thing different besides the driver is that the Max-Hemps are rear-ported instead of using a rear aperiodic vent).  Here is the pic from the Omega site:

Both the custom 8" hemp and the B200 are world-class full-range drivers....they just have a little bit of a different flavor.  It is cool that Louis is using both IMO!  8)

Happy listening!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2006, 03:10 am »
Ok, here is a pic of the Revolution (in quartered Maple finish):

:D

Wil!

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2006, 04:16 am »
Sweeeeeeeeeeet mother of.

Sadly ill "only" be getting the Super 3 XRS.

Dont tempt me anymore please...

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2006, 12:06 am »
Hi ZLS,

I’m thrilled the revolutions are sounding so good in your system and many, many thanks for the opportunity to build them. The whole evolution of the speakers was so much fun and it was a pleasure. Big box B200s are amazing and I have mine playing all the time. The cabinet is perfect for both drivers and I will be adding them to the new site. The bases worked out better than I expected and the mass loading makes a big difference. I will be adding spikes on top and the bottom. Looks like these will be factory direct so I can keep the prices low.

Sealed box single driver sound and your description is spot on.

The amp project was also a pleasure and I will be making wood box Vinnie Signature 30s with matching platforms. The amp is amazing and big kudos to Vinnie.

Hi opnly bafld,

Many thanks and you’re very kind. I’m very happy you’re using the drivers and having fun with them.

Hi Vinnie,

Many thanks for posting the pics and if it where up to me they would eventually show up next year.

Major congratulations with the 6moons review on the Sig 30.

Hi Wil!,

XRSs are a lot like them and very surprising, especially in the bass.

Thanks again,
Louis

tmarshl

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2006, 09:34 pm »
Just ordered a pair of Revolutions along with a RWA Signature 30 amplifier.  Looking forward to both!

I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was doing business with Louis and Vinnie.  These two are both expert in their fields, and provide an excellent buying experience.... only to be surpassed by the listening experience that I anticipate.

:D

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2006, 10:52 pm »
Hi tmarshl,

Many thanks for your order and it was great doing business with you too. I can't wait for you to hear the system. The combination is amazing and I could,'t be happier.

Thanks again,
Louis

Manowar

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2006, 04:27 am »
Hi Louis,

Can you describe the sonic differences between the Max Hemps and the Revolution?

My listening is varied, but occasionally I like to crank out some heavy metal!

Thanks,
Manowar :rock:

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2006, 11:31 pm »
Hi Manowar,

Great question and the 2 speakers are very similar and also little different. The loading makes a difference and the Revolution is a bit more articulate and transient response is great. The Max has a bit more bass and rocks out with more power. The guitar especially is reproduced amazingly well with the Max.

Thanks again,
Louis

kbuzz3

Revolution Cabinet dimensions
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:51 pm »
Anyone have the H W D of the rev. cabinets. Couldnt seem to find it on the omega site. LC may not have posted it yet with the new website in development

ZLS

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2006, 02:55 am »
Hello,

Not including stands the Revolutions are 31" tall 15" wide and 10 1/2 "deep. 
Platforms are 17"wide by 8"tall by12 1/2" deep. 

ZLS

pardales

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:45 am »
How much is the Revolution model discussed here? Are the stands included or extra? Thanks,