New Metallica release date moved up 5 days!!!!!!!!!!

Brad

St. Anger comes out tomorrow :o

What time does the record store open?? 8)

duff138

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2003, 02:56 pm »
if you're in the mood for a CD full of horrible lyrics, awful sounding drums, and terrible songs it's definitely worth picking up :!:

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2003, 03:30 pm »
So I guess you're not a fan?

Have you heard the new album yet?

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2003, 03:57 pm »
Just got back from Soundwaves.

'Frantic' is pretty cool.
On the who, it's a little hardier/heavier/punkish than the Load/Reload debacle. :banghead:

A full eval will have to wait until I can listen to it at volume. :thankyou:

duff138

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2003, 04:07 pm »
Quote from: Brad
So I guess you're not a fan?

Have you heard the new album yet?

honestly i have not liked them since the "in justice", so i'm not a real good judge on the new stuff.  i heard it yesterday and i'm listening to it again right now.
  i bought ride the lightning when it came out, i was in seveth grade!  it changed my life for ever.  i'm just not into the new sound.  if anyone liked the last two records you may enjoy this one (i've never heard  the whole album of load or re-load).

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2003, 04:16 pm »
I'm 5 songs into it now.
Didn't like 2 of them.

Ride the Lightning came out when I was a freshman in college - definitely changed my musical tastes.

When Justice came out, it stayed in my tape player in the car and cd player in the house for a good 2 months   :?   Everyone I knew was very tired of it.....

I agree with you on the drum sound - but I'll wait until I hear it loud on a decent system to decide for sure.

BRING BACK Fleming Rasmussen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading the liner notes, Bob Rock produced and also played bass on some tracks before Robert Trujillo joined the band.

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2003, 06:41 pm »
They've been hyping the hell out of this CD release here in MKE on Lazer 103, personally I don't care for St. Anger or many of the other songs they've played thus far.  Although, generally, if a song hooks me right away it doesn't stay around long on my playlist, it just burns out.  Ride the Lightning was Sophomore year high school for me and it was something else!  Master and And Justice were also, and then...while I did like the Pace of Fuel, Ain't my bitch and better than you other than that they have been pretty forgettable lately.  I think this album will only continue that.  Although with as much as they are playing it, it could grow on me.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2003, 06:49 pm »
Update:

Drum sound still kind of hollow on some songs, but several of them are growing on me.

Is it just me or were James' vocals better before he learned how to carry a tune?

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:02 pm »
I was in elementary school when ride the lightning came out....

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:22 pm »
I thought I saw a little kid there that day when I was buying the album. :D

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:36 pm »
Quote from: duff138
if anyone liked the last two records you may enjoy this one (i've never heard  the whole album of load or re-load).

Ouch.  That bad, eh? :P

Quote from: Brad
Is it just me or were James' vocals better before he learned how to carry a tune?

No, it's not just you!

Quote from: byteme
They've been hyping the hell out of this CD release here in MKE on Lazer 103, personally I don't care for St. Anger or many of the other songs they've played thus far.

Does this mean if I turn on Lazer on my ride home tonight I might hear a new Metallica song instead of Godsmack!?  Wow, that's progress! :P

But the real question is: Is the CD LOUD ENOUGH!?  I know I for one will not be buying it unless it is louder than the other songs they play on the radio.  Because believe me, that is all that matters.  Or Nothing Else Matters, I should say.  If it's not loud enough I'm gonna return it and demand at least 45,000 more clipped samples.

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:42 pm »
:?

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:47 pm »
Nathan,

It's fairly compressed and pretty loud.
I think you'll be happy with it  :x

I already like it more than Load or ReLoad, but that's not saying a heck of a lot.   Some parts of it really have a 'punk' feel.

rosconey

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2003, 02:02 pm »
from a post at partsexpress

Has anyone else heard Metallica - St. Anger yet?
OMG!!!! Can you say audible distortion? I extracted one of the songs into Cool Edit Pro to take a look. Not only was the waveform completely flat, scanning revealed a laughable number of clipped samples.

Left Right
Min Sample Value: -32768 -32768
Max Sample Value: 32767 32767
Peak Amplitude: 0 dB 0 dB
Possibly Clipped: 44928 28374
DC Offset: .021 -.001
Minimum RMS Power: -70.55 dB -87.02 dB
Maximum RMS Power: -4.35 dB -4.91 dB
Average RMS Power: -9.11 dB -9.68 dB
Total RMS Power: -8.86 dB -9.32 dB
Actual Bit Depth: 16 Bits 16 Bits

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

Yet another victim of the mastering studio and poor "executive producer" decisions.
I'm a fan from way back in their early days, but with only slight exaggeration, I think white noise would be more pleasant to listen to than this.

ton1313

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2003, 03:22 pm »
Listened to a friends copy yesterday, boy am I glad I didn't buy it!
Totally sounds almost like the same song all the way through.  :?

I am a long time Lightning, Puppets, Justice fan. I thought when they went to the Black album, with the change of style, it was a bold move for them. The album paid off, and was a huge success. Since then BIG dissapointment.

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2003, 03:41 pm »
Ton - a lot of people have the same complaint about Justice

Only a couple of songs stood out the first couple of times through Anger.  It is really starting to grow on me, after several more listens.
There is definitely a return to the angry edge, but:

The lyrics are substandard for Metallica.
The recording is sub-par.   Bring back Fleming Rasmussen, dammit.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2003, 01:44 am »
I might give it a shot.  I hated Mark Knopfler's "The Ragpickers Dream" when I first played it, to the point I didn't play it again for a month.  But the second time there were a few songs that I liked, at least enough for a third listen.  Eventually I've come to really like (most) of the album.

I guess some stuff is an aquired taste.

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2003, 02:50 am »
Quote from: nathanm
If it's not loud enough I'm gonna return it and demand at least 45,000 more clipped samples.

They came awful close to 45,000 clipped samples. 44,938, close enough you might not have to return it.  :lol: Pretty sad considering the hype this is getting. Local paper had a full page article on St. Anger today.

nathanm

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2003, 07:40 pm »
I hope someone will post this album on the RedVu site as soon as possible!  A big high profile record will be great to have up there.

Ever notice that one of Metallica's best sounding discs (Garage Days) was done totally raw and unpolished?  Geez, take a hint.  Send Metallica to Mapleshade's living room and see what they really sound like I say.