Bay Area Ra8

Denise

Re: Bay Area Ra8
« Reply #40 on: 7 Aug 2006, 06:50 pm »
 :(I can't give you any technical data on the speaker/amp combo, but I had a great time listening to the speakers through the tube amps.
Thank you to Richard for driving up here and bringing the speakers and  your local libations.
Thank you to Ben for bringing the amps, cds and cd player.
I learned the difference between different music formats analog, digital, etc...
Is it live or is it a tube amp?
I would gladly have a more technical comparison with the speakers and heck maybe the DIY r8's will surface too!

yo2tup

« Reply #41 on: 7 Aug 2006, 08:00 pm »
Overall I thought the HT8's were very nice.  They did most of the audiophile things very well, so I'm not going to list them all.  Here are some thoughts I went away with:

-Awesome horizontal dispersion!  You could stand anywhere in the room and the images were almost always floating in the center between the speakers.  very nice :)

-Great tonally, but I thought the bass could've integrated with midrange drivers and tweeter a little better.

-The bass definately reaches way low and has very good detail.  It may not move as much air or kick you in the face like a good subwoofer, but it has good punch when needed.  It was a little boomy at times, but that was probably from room nodes.   I never thought the bass from the HT8's was lacking...but then again, I forgot to bring my White Stripes cds..  :icon_lol:

-Instruments had lots of texture.

-Imaging was good, but I prefer images with little bit more weight.  I thought the images were a little light and airy (for lack better terms)   ...but this could be a function of the source, amps, cables, etc.

It was really cool  meeting everyone.  Thanks Bill, for hosting it!  Walt and I enjoyed it.  Definately have to do it again.

Kevin

Berndt

« Reply #42 on: 7 Aug 2006, 09:22 pm »
The way those tweaters image w/o a sweet spot is kinda creepy.
The sweet spot follows you around the room, sitting or standing.
Changing cds with the inward firing woofers entailed kneeling between the speakers, at that position it was like wearing headphones.

Berndt

« Reply #43 on: 9 Aug 2006, 12:29 am »
room measurements
14'x18.5'x8'
speakers on short wall face of speaker 4' from rear wall, 7'apart on center toed in to converge at listening position 9' back at couch
Hardwood floors and ceiling , carpet and pad on floor, ceiling has 12" joists going across the room short side to side, joists on 4'8" centers.
Room has openings on the front right side as facing speakers, hallway which is connected to the front wall 4.5', left wall terminates after 9' becoming the dining room, this left wall was covered by a heavy quilt.

Richard is sending me the event pics tonight I will forward them to you Al so you can host/post them if you so wish.
Sorry it took so long to post the room description, I am sure the pics will illuminate my setup.

Berndt

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:46 am »
Listening to to Stevie Wonder, it's Friday night and there is a great big smile on my face.
I have been listening to the Selah Tanzenites but Denise my wife told me to "put those other speakers in, they rock more".
So I did.
Hard to compare a floorstander to a monitor, as I could live with either, point remaining that I really like listening to these speakers now that I forgot how good that tube amp of Bens' sounded.

RAW

« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2006, 03:23 am »
Bill
Enjoying the time with them HT8 :singing:

You luck person a few more weeks and I will be stopping by and wrapping them up for the Secrets review I have them heading off to next.
Then we will meet up with that pair at RMAF in Denver in October.

See you in a few weeks.

The threat of them ribs is just toooo good to pass up after a day of driving.

Enjoy.