Question about the Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Question about the Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496
« on: 26 Jun 2006, 12:00 am »
Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you can help me out.  What is the difference between these two?  I want to equalize room modes and am thinking about using a digital equalizer that allows analysis of my room modes before and after equalization.  My question what part of the signal chain can I put this device.  I'm thinking putting it between the digital out on my CDP transport and my DAC.  Is this possible?  Can it be placed between the analogue output of my CDP (or DAC) and my integrated amp?  I'm thinking placing the equalizer between the digital output of my CDP and DAC is the optimal place since everything will be processed in the digital domain and it won't muck up the analogue signal.  I don't have multiple amps to biamp or triamp my speakers to change the cross over frequencies of my speaker.  Thanks.

Hipper

Re: Question about the Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2006, 05:37 pm »
I use the DEQ2496 for exactly the problems you wish to deal with.

Whilst it has many features we don't need, it does have a parametric equalizer, a graphic equalizer and can measure your systems frequency response.

The Behringer has XLR and Toslink inputs and outputs but no RCA/phono connections, but you can buy suitable phono to XLR cables if you need to. You will also need a microphone (plus ideally a microphone stand) and cable.

Here are a couple of useful links for advice on room correction with the Behringer:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16568

http://www.prijsindex.net/tmp/room%20acoustics%20and%20eq.html

There's also a lot of discussion on the subject on Audio Asylum.

You'll see that most people say it is excellent working in digital but some are not so convinced of the quality of its DAC.

I use it between my CD transport and DAC and am very very pleased with how it has controlled my room problems and gives me a sound I enjoy. I also use it occassionally to play vinyl, and so use its ADC and DAC and I'm happy with the sound of this too.

There's a lot to learn to get the best out of the DEQ2496; I was messing around for two months before I felt I was really getting somewhere, but the effort is worth it. I should also say that the manual is not written as if the machine was to be used in home stereo, more for live performance.

All I know about the DCX2496 is that it is more for crossover management.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Re: Question about the Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2006, 11:59 pm »
Thanks alot!