More for the headbangers

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
More for the headbangers
« on: 4 Jun 2003, 01:53 am »
Finally, after years of waiting, the first four CDs by Queensryche have finally been remastered.  And they sound awesome.

I was worried given the talk of many remasters simply having the levels boosted into digital clipping; I haven't run any of these thru the wave editor to look, but they certainly sound very clean.

The Warning particularly benefits from remastering- I've always loved this album, but to say that the original disc sounded awful is being charitable.  Well, you wouldn't mistake it for a new album, but the improvement is amazing.  The low end was MIA on the original, but on the remaster its extended and reasonably clean and tight (considering the low budget of the band at the time).  Also vocals sound much cleaner, and there's much more presence than before.  The soundstage has been cleaned up, too.

Rage For Order will always have a special place in my heart:  it's the first CD I ever bought (along w/Judas Priest's Turbo and Defenders of the Faith, all purchased at the same time the day I bought my first player) and they were the first rock bank I ever saw.  The original CD sounded okay, but the remaster is much tighter, with better bass and better dynamics.  The level of resolution is better and the noise floor sounds lower.  But the most amazing thing about this one is how much better the soundstage is.  For those not familiar with the album, it's full of dense, swirling (often Pink Floyd-esce) effects and noises.  This used to be sorta crushed into an amorphous two dimensional mess at times, pretty much just painted across the front wall.  But the remaster really opens it up spacially, sometimes pinpointing certain sounds and sometimes throwing an eirrily diffuse whirlwind of discordant noises that surrounds you.

If you are a hardcore QR fanatic, like me, or even a lapsed casual fan, these are worth checking out.  Apparently Empire and a couple of the new ones are on the way soon.

dogberry

More for the headbangers
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2003, 02:02 am »
Excellent.  Mindcrime suffered from typical 80s mastering, i.e. no bass and smeared mids.  I did rip it as WAVs and burn it to black media, and that seemed to help.

I'll be picking that one up for sure.  Thanks for the heads up.

Brad

More for the headbangers
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2003, 02:44 am »
I saw Queensryche on the Rage for Order tour at the Austin Opera House (1000 seat hall) in the mid 80's.

Excellent show - Geoff T. still has the pipes, too.

They are playing Houston with Dream Theater & Fates Warning at a terrific 3000 seat hall in a few weeks.   I'm hoping to go to that one.

I just missed out on a DCC gold version of Empire on ebay last week.

Thanks for the heads up - time to pick up a new copy of Rage.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
More for the headbangers
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2003, 09:55 am »
I don't have that DCC disc, but my experience has been that some of the new remasters shame the older Gold Discs, even the highly regarded MoFi ones.  The tech has just gotten better.

I have the previously remastered Queensryche ep and the $30 imported DigiPak Mindcrime/Queensrych remaster, and I can say the new versions best both of those.

This is a truly great metal band that no one need apologize for liking.  They truly were one of the greats, and it's great to see they're getting the attention they deserve, if not in sales, at least by the engineers and label honchos.

BTW, QR is still one of the best live bands I've seen to this day, over 150 concerts later.

Sa-dono

More for the headbangers
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2003, 06:48 pm »
I love Queensryche! 8) I would consider them more towards progressive rock than metal though. I'm glad the remasters are actually worthwhile...I'll have to check them out when I get around to my next music splurge. Thanks for the heads up Rob!

duff138

More for the headbangers
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2003, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I don't have that DCC disc, but my experience has been that some of the new remasters shame the older Gold Discs, even the highly regarded MoFi ones.  The tech has just gotten better.

I have the previously remastered Queensryche ep and the $30 imported DigiPak Mindcrime/Queensrych remaster, and I can say the new versions best both of those.

This is a truly great metal band that no one need apologize for liking.  They truly were one of the greats, and it's great to see they're getting the ...

the dcc is remastered by steve hoffman, and i've read that it is very good.  acousticsounds has them for sale i still.