Poll

Would You Like To See New Gorgeous Cabintery for VMPS Along the Likes That Mark Schifter or Others Can Offer?

Yes!!!!
52 (81.3%)
No!  Fine as It is!
12 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: 3 Jun 2003, 09:53 pm

Mark Schifter's Cabinets with VMPS?

John Casler

« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2003, 10:45 pm »
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
e) creating highly detailed CD-ROM design, installation, and tweaking procedures with lots of pictures to assist those customers that I can't personally visit and assist with those activities

Hi Julian,

Well it goes to show "great minds think alike" :lol:

I'm doing the same thing, plus a couple "Reference Cut" Discs with details about imaging, soundstage and sonics, when properly set up.

If I ever get it finished, I'll send you a copy.

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2003, 10:49 pm »
And does that make MLS Paula Addul?

It might be just me, but I don't see that :o  

MLS and Paula look nothing alike :lol:

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Re: AVF123
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jun 2003, 09:58 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
I'll tell you what I'd like to do:

1. Have Mark not only build cabinets but most of our drivers.

2. Sell VMPS on the AV123 site as an adjunct to his current lineup while maintaining current dealers.

3. Set up a chain of properly supervised in-home demos around the country for the VMPS/AV123 lineup.  Anyone whose been to John Casler's house knows of which I speak--terrific sound, expert advice and installation, low prices.  Who better to service the shrinking High End market than audiophiles?

Loo ...

Hello Brian... Good Morning... fighting the effects of major jet lag right now...  :)

I have to say... I totally agree about the "state of the state" of audio dealers in No. America... You might find it ironic that my new job as President of mbl Direct came about after an investment in the company (by my partner in the China operation --- Mr. H.H. Pu) and my analysis for them of the current market conditions for their products (16 pages long) that basically agrees right along the lines you've outlined here...

I'm completely interested in exploring this further with you... I'm not completely sure of my schedule here in The Bay Area mainly because I have booked some appointments already... but perhaps Saturday late afternoon I could take a cab to you... What city are you near... and now far is this from the city... I'm at the Hilton...

May I please ask you to phone me on my mobile later today to set something up... 720.244.0727

I must admit... this is exciting with lots to chew on here... Hopefully I can sleep a bit more tonight as I'm hosting a dinner at The Daily Grill in Union Square later tonight... BTW... I still have two seats left for anyone from AudioCircle that might want to join our merry crew for some delicious chow... and audio chat... Dinner on me...  :)

Please let me know at mls@av123.com

Thanks for taking the time to outline all of this... you have my attention in a big way...

Good Night... and all the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2003, 10:00 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
e) creating highly detailed CD-ROM design, installation, and tweaking procedures with lots of pictures to assist those customers that I can't personally visit and assist with those activities

Hi Julian,

Well it goes to show "great minds think alike" :lol:

I'm doing the same thing, plus a couple "Reference Cut" Discs with details about imaging, soundstage and sonics, when properly set up.

If I ever get it finished, I'll send you a copy.

Hello John...

Let me loan you a Perpetual P-1A to do the re-mastering with... We have made several "killer cuts" discs with this device and it works really well...

:)

Please let me knnow if you want to try it...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2003, 10:11 am »
Quote from: John Casler
And does that make MLS Paula Addul?

It might be just me, but I don't see that :o  

MLS and Paula look nothing alike :lol:

... and thank heavens for her...  :)

I added my picture to be sure you guys can see that I'm quite ugly... and she ain't...

All the best...

mls

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2003, 11:56 pm »
Hello John...

Let me loan you a Perpetual P-1A to do the re-mastering with... We have made several "killer cuts" discs with this device and it works really well...

Please let me knnow if you want to try it...

How could I refuse such a generous offer.

All the best, and look forward to seeing you.

Val

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2003, 11:49 am »
This is one of the best audio threads I have read anywhere, let's hope something good comes out of it. High End audio may be dying but America keeps on churning out entrepreneurs with good ideas; on the heels of Bongiorno and his napkin, this one is not too bad.

Val

emillika

WOW!
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2003, 04:51 pm »
This is a very exciting concept to me as an aspiring audio/videophile. I love the idea of buying VALUE. I am not afraid to spend money on my hobbies... but it is difficult to find any true VALUE in the local brick and mortars stores here in Chicagoland.

I love my Rockets for HT and I am learning about speakers, by going to local dealers, and what kind of sound I want in the 2 channel system I am building. I must say that the Chicagoland HT meet a couple weeks ago is the way I enjoy checking new gear out... In a non-presured, home enviornment.

I also love my SVS Ultra and I am looking forward to my Halo C2 and A52 arriving this week. I chose the Halo because the Outlaw gear, while there is some value, I can't get into the looks of the gear. If there was something similiar to the Halo that was available internet direct I would have given it a serious look.

Thanks and I will be watching the developments of this concept with great interest.

Good luck!

Elmer

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
big meet
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2003, 06:38 pm »
Mark Shifter, John Casler and I meet today in San Francisco.  We will divide up the High End among ourselves like that cake of Cuba in "The Godfather".  Since John and I plan to make an offer Mark can't refuse, the consequences of this titanic sitdown with reverberate through the ranks of audiophilia like thunder 'cross the bay.  Fortunately there is a bay here to thunder across.

Woodsea

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2003, 08:24 pm »
Ooph, I could feel it here in Columbus :!:   Can't wait until the products surface.

Horsehead

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2003, 10:29 pm »
What happens to Dorn Dibble?  :wave:

Marbles

Re: big meet
« Reply #31 on: 7 Jun 2003, 10:58 pm »
Mark Shifter, John Casler and I meet today in San Francisco.  We will divide up the High End among ourselves like that cake of Cuba in "The Godfather".  Since John and I plan to make an offer Mark can't refuse, the consequences of this titanic sitdown with reverberate through the ranks of audiophilia like thunder 'cross the bay.  Fortunately there is a bay here to thunder across.

Um, just be careful at them toll booths and when starting your cars  :P

TheeeChosenOne

Re: big meet
« Reply #32 on: 8 Jun 2003, 12:22 am »

:lol:   Nice humor Brian.

Seriously, though, this sounds like a "Dream Team" pairing.   The possibilities are enormous and I certainly wish the BEST for all of you in your future endeavors!!

mlschifter

The Meet...
« Reply #33 on: 8 Jun 2003, 12:10 pm »
Good Morning...

I felt a few words were in order as I prepare to head back to Colorado later today...

I must say that the long term plan that Brian and John laid out for me was food for real thought. I haven't stopped thinking about it yet... and still first in my thoughts as I woke up to get the day moving here. The "plan" has real merit in many respects... and now I need to go home and talk it over with my team... and our partners...

I wish to sincerely thank John and Brian for their efforts and their presentation... these are very good guys --- and they are very serious about VMPS' next steps... Bravo...

I also had a wonderful 20 minute demo of the current RM 40... I have to honestly say that this has to be one of the best bargains in the industry today... BAR NONE... Sensational loudspeaker capable of tremendous dynamic contrasts and on a small to large scale... in a word... WOW... I was really impressed...

It would appear to me that Mr. B. has gotten quite a bit better with time... Good for him... and very good for all of you...  :)

The next steps will be defined over a very short period of time... and we'll be sure to report them to this group as we see fit...

Thanks for welcoming me here... and please continue your support...

With sincerest respect... and humble thanks...

All the best...

mls

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2003, 05:06 pm »
Great to hear the news!

Please really do keep us in the loop with the progress as I'm sure there are many people/"fans" that are anxious to see this happen sooner rather than later.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2003, 05:26 pm »
From a looks dept, I'm actually very happy with the job Brian did on my pair of 40's, they look great in their full wrap white birch.  But, for a performance standpoint, I'd be interested in a RM40 cabinet that mimics the RM/X cabinet, where the mids and tweeters have essentially no baffle.  Maybe instead of a "scoop" like the RMX has, it could just be an angled cut of wood, so it can still be veneered nicely (ala some of the Avalon speakers, with their angled faceplates).

rosconey

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2003, 05:48 pm »
we should get audio architech to send a copy of his funky looking rm40 cabinets too mark to make for brian :mrgreen:

MaxCast

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jun 2003, 06:50 pm »
How about an hour glass looking type of thing where the baffle gets skinny in the middle for minimal relfection.

John Casler

The Future of HIGH END Audio
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:19 pm »
As I sit here writing this, I am planted in front of my RM40s, listening to possibly the best AUDIO I have "EVER" heard.

The sound is so unbeleivable, I think I am experiencing "endorphin release".

For those who don't know what that means, it is a natural release of a chemical in the brain that give you a sense of pleasure and well being.

Between the meeting with Mark and Brian yesterday, and a "SONIC DISCOVERY" I made today, I am just sitting here with a big smile on my face that won't go away and I am literally "talking to myself"

I have much to say about meeting Mark yesterday, being part of the meeting with he and Brian, and what I see as an alliance that will change High End Audio in the future.

Yesterday a historic event in our hobby took place, and if the result of that meeting is even close to my expectations, you and I will look back on this moment and remember that we knew when it happened.

I call this a "Pivotal Event".  Yesterday was such an event.

No, it is not just that Mark Shifter (who is truly one of the nicest people I have ever met in audio) may provide a great cabinet to an already "World Class", State of the Art speaker, but ideas, concepts (marketing and technical) that will move Audio to levels you will not beleive, were discussed, agreed upon, and "if" put in motion will "CHANGE THINGS".   (how's that for the longest run-on sentence ever? :roll: )

I have "much" more to say about yesterday and it's significance, but I have to fully collect my thoughts to really express how I see it.

Couple that with a fabulous listening session with Brian in "his" Sonic Sorcerer's Lair, and my incredible discovery (tweak) this morning, and and I have just too much to digest and regurtgitate (Yuuuch!) :lol:  :lol:

I took a couple very telling photos of yesterday's meeting and hope I can get them posted.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=164

Stay tuned.... (especially those who want RM/x Sound from you present speakers) :wink:[/url]

Woodsea

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:27 pm »
John, does that mean my 626r's and lrc can be made into 626rmx's and lrcx's?
Can you say 'schwing' :?: