BLACK Driver mounting screws

DSK

« on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:42 am »
I'm after some 25mm 6g or 8g Phillips/PanHead screws or self tappers to mount some drivers into boxes. However, nobody seems to have them in black.

I've tried Bunnings and specialty hardware companies like Melbourne Bolt Company and Cost Less Bolts, to no avail. I only need 18 of them for a pair of speakers I'm currently building. Parts Express have them in the US but demand an enormous shipping cost for a small packet and have a minimum order value.

Does anyone have any sources, preferably in Melbourne but anywhere in Oz is great?

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2006, 10:19 am »
er... have you tried black marker pen or black paint after mounting?

just a thought!

:D

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2006, 01:56 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
er... have you tried black marker pen or black paint after mounting?

just a thought!

:D

That's a last resort but I was hoping for something a little more professional and that won't scratch off if removing them. I can't believe that it is this difficult to find a black screw.

freo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2006, 03:07 pm »
I think jaycar have them, or altronics, I am not sure which one I bought mine from, but that was quite a while ago, try their websites
Regards Roger

stvnharr

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 02:58 pm »
Darren,
Why don't you just email Rick Craig and have him post you some?
I have some 6 ga. philips pan heads that I could send you, but most are only 3/4. in long (that'd be 18mm), and I think they'd be too short.  I have a few that are 25mm long, but I only have 5 or 6 of these.
Painting and ink look nice until you touch the slots with a screwdriver.

If Rick can't supply you with some screws, and you have to get them from the US, try Mcfeeleys square drive screws - www.mcfeelys.com - for the best in driver mounting screws.  Of course you'd then have to get a square drive screwdriver, and I can't remember seeing them in Bunnings because I never looked.
Frankly, you can't get anything in Australia, it's a lost cause!  Pity

Steve

stvnharr

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:02 pm »
Darren,
You could also try posting on the Madisound forum, and maybe someone would have 20 extras that they could post off to you.
BTW, you can't just walk down to the corner hardware store here in the States and find these things either.  It's either a good specialty item store or the internet.

Steve

stvnharr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:13 pm »
Another thought just popped into my head.  
You could try phoning Audiophile on Brunswick Street in North Fitzroy and ask if they have some black screws.  Nic and the boys do put speakers together there, but I can't remember if they use black screws or not.  Worth a call.  This might be your best option in Melbourne.  You could also try Greg Osborn by email.

Andy G

Re: BLACK Driver mounting screws... believe it or not !!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:30 pm »
believe it or not.. the best place I have found to get screws for speakers is Super Cheap Auto !!  guage 6  or 8 mushroom heads in black !!!

DSK

Re: BLACK Driver mounting screws
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:52 am »
Thanks guys ... Jaycar & Altronics were no good, I'll check out Super Cheap Auto and perhaps some car stereo installers.

DSK

FOUND THEM!!!
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2006, 01:16 pm »
believe it or not.. the best place I have found to get screws for speakers is Super Cheap Auto !!  guage 6  or 8 mushroom heads in black !!!

YES!!! It turns out that there is a new Super Cheap Auto store very close to me and they had a variety of black self tappers, including the 8G 25mm mushroom heads I was after. Thanks for the suggestion Andy (and everyone else that tried to help).

Andy G

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2006, 06:58 am »
Be aware that individual Super Cheap Auto stores only carry small numbers of each size.  When I wanted screws for my line arrays I have to vist both local stores twice, a week apart, to get the number of screws required !! :lol:

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2006, 09:32 am »
If anyone needs them, I have Black 25mm wood screws in stock. I buy them by the box of 1000, and can break it down for indivdual amounts

Cheers Nigel