NuForce P-8, Ref 9.02's : leave them powered on always?

stingfan

I'm the proud (uber-excited!) new owner of the above gear (my new full set up will post in the "setup" sub-forum for Nuforce) and have one setup question:

For break-in period and beyond, is it safe/wise to just leave the amps and preamp on at all times?  The manual recommends turning off the amps if the preamp is off.  I wonder if leaving the preamp on, and power amps on, with the sources turned off, would that be the best for the components?  

Or is it better to power on/off with each listening session.  My Linn Aktiv system was always recommended to be left on at all times.

Thanks for the advice!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2006, 11:37 am »
They consumes total of <20 watts if left on all the time. It is ok to leave them on all the time. We seldom turn off our amps in our testing room.

cheetah

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2006, 02:41 pm »
Jason,

the manual suggests not to leave the amps if the source component usually the preamp) is turned off.  Otherwise, it could pick up noise from the floating input and overheats the unit.  And indeed, if it is left on, the unit actually gets quite warm.

So, is it okay or advantageous to leave the amp on all the time?
Or if i should keep the source component on if i really want the amp on all the time?  Is the source component in standby mode fine?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2006, 07:40 pm »
Hi,
Either you turn-off the P8 via the remote, and turn off the Ref9, or leave P8 and Ref9 on all the time.

cheetah

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 02:57 am »
will you recommend leaving the power amp on always (with the pre-amp on as well)?  will there be any benefits in sound quality?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:24 am »
No. The amp and preamp warm up very quickly and there is no need to leave them on all the time unless for convenient reason that you don't want to turn it off. You can get the nuforce mod Monster Power Center ($180) to turn them on and off in the correct sequence.