Haute Fidelite Ref 9 SE review

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« on: 15 Jun 2006, 09:45 am »
Haute Fidelite has given Ref 9 SE the gold reference class recommendation.
http://www.nuforce.com/reviews-editors.htm

Now you don't have to dream about owning a reference class amp. It is very affordable by high-end standard  :wink:

Yvan

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2006, 11:22 pm »
In fact an other great review for the Nuforce Ref 9SE.
But they strongly recommend to use unbalanced RCA connection instead of balanced XLR to reveal the full musicality of these amplifier.
Does anyone tried both connection types and comment on this advice ?

(I plan to buy 8.2' cable...)

Yvan

gman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:21 am »
I own the 9.02s (not the SEs) and I strongly prefer the balanced. Using them unbalanced, I get a very audible hum. I had a friend listen to my amps in his system using two different types of unbalanced interconnects in his system with the same results. But once they are hooked up balanced, the noise is completely gone. For this reason, I prefer balanced.

I would be very curious to listen to the SEs in my system using balanced vs. unbalanced.

Gary

Yvan

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2006, 09:18 am »
I think Nuforce have slightly modified the ground wiring of the RCA connectors on the latest evolution of the Ref 9xxx.
So I hope that hum is gone with Unbalanced connection too...

But if somebody can share his experience (without Hum) comparing Unbalanced vs. Balanced connection in term of musicality & realism.

Thanks

Yvan

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:46 am »
i can use the unbalanced connections with no hum at all, its a toss up to which one i think is better, it could be the cables i am using, audioquest cheetah balanced, jps superconductor 2 un, my ref 9s are ref 2.

ricks584

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2006, 12:58 pm »
My ref 9's unbalanced have also developed a hum.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2006, 03:17 am »
More to do with the preamp than Nuforce.   We wired the RCA in a pseudo balanced configuration to maximized Common Mode Noise rejection.  If you hear a hum using the Balance, flip the switch to RCA will ground the -ve phase of the balanced signal to the ground, and if the hum is gone, it's from the preamp.

Warning:  You can flip the switch to RCA when connected with Balanced cable, but DO NOT do the reverse: i.e. flip the switch to Balanced while using RCA connection - may damage the speaker as the ground is lifted.

gman

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2006, 03:51 am »
I currently run an APL Denon 3910 with a built-in attenuator directly to the Nuforce amps. I must run them in balanced otherwise I get the hum I referred to. When I loaned the amps to a friend, he ran them directly from his Resolution Audio Opus 21, which also has a built-in preamp/attenuator and we heard the same hum when using single-ended cables.

I don't know if this is just my pair of Nuforce 9.02s or not, but we hear this in two completely separate systems.

Gary

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:47 am »
For a comprehensive explanation of grounding issues relating to balanced and unbalanced audio, please refer to:  http://www.rane.com/note151.html

sikoniko

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:39 pm »
any chance we could get this converted to english?