TUBES!! I believe fellow GAS members may have converted me.

alana106

Hi Guys!!    
 Haven't had much time for audio (or anything else for that matter) lately.  Hope everyone is doing well.
  I recently started hearing a pop shortly after powering up my Rogue 99 preamp.  Seems that I must have one of the 4 6sn7 Electro Harmonix tubes shorting out or something. I replaced the 4 tubes with a set of Tung Sols that I had on hand, and it corrected the problem. (SCOTT F. THANKS AGAIN FOR TESTING THESE)  :D
    Not only did the Tung Sols correct the problem, but I noticed a nice improvement overall.  Bass seemed to have more weight, and mid clarity seemed more open as well.  :o  

MIKE D....   :oops: Sorry I haven’t had you over, but I haven't forgotten. As soon as I acquire a couple of quad sets of these 6sn7s I would still like to.

WEEELLLL.....I've decided to try some tube rolling with the Rogue, and have ordered a set of Sylvania 6sn7 clear tops off of Agon.  Does anyone have any experience rolling 6SN7 tubes in preamps, or have a local source for tubes?  I called Gateway, and he suggested coming in with a tube tester and looking though his tube inventory, which he stated is not in any order.   Any other places to look for bargains?
   Also, would it be worth having a tube tester on hand?  I see many on Ebay, but if someone could recommend a model to target that's reasonable, I might try and pick one up.  

Whats the thought on tube dampers??  I saw this on Ebay. Anyone’s  recommendation would be appreciated.  http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBES-DAMPERS-6SN7-6SL7-GZ34-7591-6V6GT-DAMPENER_W0QQitemZ9738227361QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64629QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope to catch some of you at one of the next meetings.

Alan

Gordy

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2006, 04:30 pm »
The dampers you linked to will work just fine, but they are simply O-rings and available for pennies from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/  Do a search for neoprene, viton or silicone.  You'll want to use neoprene or silicone for high temp power tubes,  so be sure to check out the temp ratings on whatever you are choosing!  A lot of people really like Herbie's tube dampers... http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/   :D

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2006, 01:08 am »
Alan

At least three of us Gassers like Herbie's Hal-Os.  Do a search on tnt-audio.com for Scott's article on tweaks that work.  

Changing tubes is a ton of fun.  You will really enjoy the differences.

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 02:14 am »
Yeah, Alan, I have to agree with Mike.

I liked what I was hearing on other folk's gear with them, and got to borrow a few of Mike's when he forgot to take them home.
Unfortunately he remembered where they were some time later, so I had to give them back.  :oops:
 :wink:
Keep meaning to order some, and a month goes by and I *think* about ordering them again.  :D
I still give the Herbie's a thumbs-up beyond voodoo audio.

DF

alana106

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:31 pm »
Thanks Mens,

I'm now on a mission for dampers as well as quad sets of 6sn7s for the preamp.
   Just curious,  Have you found the dampers to be more beneficial when in use on the preamp, Amp, or pretty much both?

Alan

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:40 pm »
Pretty much both.  

A fun thing to do is to listen to them with the dampers set at the top 1/3 and again at the bottom 1/3.  Steve and I were at Scott's, all the way across the room, when we did this test.  I won't tell you the result, but it was an entertaining difference to us.   :roll:

As with most tweaks, you will notice a difference when you add or change them in some way.  After that, you get used to it until you take them away or change their position again.

alana106

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2006, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Mike,

I found a guy on Audiogon selling some Hal-o Dampers, and they should be on their way.  :D   Once they arrive, maybe you can get free one night and help me listen.  Steve lives pretty close...we can see if he might like to join too.

Alan