SB3 Power Supply

denjo

SB3 Power Supply
« on: 12 Jun 2006, 07:42 am »
I am looking for an audiophile power supply to feed my soon-to-purchase SB3. Does anyone have any experience with Russ Andrews' PowerPak II (see url below), and how this compares with an SLA battery power supply?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=efzss5&lookup=1®ion=UK&pf_id=1801

Dennis

Jampot

SB3 Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2006, 08:43 am »
References on other forums suggest it may be available to special order with 5v out but there is no apparent way to order a special on the website.

Strange thing is it is a switcher, but is supposed to work very well with 12v kit like T amps and nos dacs...

I just bought one (with a Monica 2 dac) on ebay and waiting for delivery....

Jim

ehlim

Re: SB3 Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2006, 06:57 am »
I'm currently user of SB3 & has been trying to improve it's performance.

You can try www.effectiveaudiomod.com from Singapore for which they have a good one to offer.

As I'm living in Singapore and I have the opportunity to try out the sample & I should be having the loan unit pretty soon.

Incidentally, I have changed to a 5V 5amp type to feed my SB3 & it helps to improve.

Regards

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 07:10 am »
I am looking for an audiophile power supply to feed my soon-to-purchase SB3. Does anyone have any experience with Russ Andrews' PowerPak II (see url below), and how this compares with an SLA battery power supply?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=efzss5&lookup=1®ion=UK&pf_id=1801

Dennis

59 British pound cannot be considered as "audiophile" grade equipment  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If money is not an issue, try Bolder Cable SB mod, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for

studley

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2006, 12:36 pm »
Wellbourne Labs have just brought out one which they indicate is high quality and suitable for a SB.

If anyone has tried it would you post your impressions, thanks.

MarkM

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:47 pm »
The Welborne PS would compete with some of the exotic PS IMO.  You could really kick it up if need be with Jensen 4 pole for filtering.  Good regulator and ripple control.

denjo

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2006, 11:09 am »
I would like to raise for discussion the proposition that the power supply is less important, and consequently not as critical, for use of the SB2 or 3 via digital out. In that regard, the quality of the external DAC is of far more importance to the overall sound than if the SB2/3 is used in analog mode. This is somewhat similar to the analogy of a CD transport used to feed the digital signal into an external DAC. The power supply of the CDT is less important when used as a stand-alone transport but the power supply of the DAC is critically important. If my argument is correct - and I would like to invite views and comments - then it would not make much sense to spend too much money on a SB2 or 3 in respect of upgrading the power supply. Please appreciate that I am NOT saying it will NOT make ANY difference at all, just that the cost spent would be out of proportion to the benefit sought to be achieved.

Dennis

CornellAlum

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2006, 01:38 pm »
I 100% flat out disagree with you.  I have a modded digital only sb3 from Bolder, and a linear power supply I built myself.  Your judgements, are they based on actual listening or theoretical engineering stuff?  In listening, it isn't even close which was more important.  The power suply upgrade was the best 250 bucks in parts I have ever oredered in terms of bang for buck changes in sound.

MarkM

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2006, 02:22 pm »
For whatever reason, the power supply really impacts how the SB sounds.  I use the digital out to a modded Lite Dac 60 and there was still some harshness to the upper treble on up.  Made a DIY linear supply and everything settled down and the music just flows and flows.  :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2006, 02:45 pm »
Gentlemen, thanks for your inputs! I am not technically minded nor have I listened to the SB stock vs upgraded. My argument (yes, one could argue it is an imperfect analogy) is the use of a CD transport (a heavily modified universal player vs a cheap stock dvd player) feeding the Altmann Attraction DAC with Red Wine Audio SLA battery pack. I have difficulty distinguishing the sound between the two transports. I therefore concluded that the transports feeding the Altmann DAC made very little, if any difference. The SB2/3 digital out is much like the digital out from the CD transport, am I right? If so, it follows that the main difference would be the pedigree of the DAC, not the transport. BTW, the creator of the Altmann DAC, Charles Altmann, is of this firm view that transports make very little difference, especially if the DAC comes with his anti-jitter feature. But, what I am hearing from both of you gentlemen is the opposite, and that the PS does make a difference! The distinguishing feature of my case is the fact that I have Charles' anti-jitter facility which therefore is leading me to conclude from my actual listening sessions that the PS makes little difference.  Can any Altmann DAC owners who also own SBs (stock, then upgraded PS) to chime in with their views.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2006, 03:27 pm »
I think it might be helpful for all to read through this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30207.0

The major issue may well be a ground loop and not exactly power supply. Note that the wall wart has a long high impedance return from the squeezebox, so my educated guess is that when connected via the coax to my system the squeezebox was using the coax as the return instead of going back to the power supply. When I used the optical cable I broke that return and things cleaned up.
What I really suspect is going on with a new supply is that folks have a much shorter and more robust return from the squeezebox back to power supply and has decreased the ground loop effect that I found as well as some of you appear to  have found.

That's an edumacated guess on my part, but I think I'm right.
             d.b.