Ouch! 4B-SST drew the first blood....

95bcwh

« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2006, 05:39 pm »
Quote from: jethro
Since I am stuck at home on my day off waiting for UPS I decided to play with my current meter.

My 8B-ST PRO draws 11.6 amps for a very brief moment at startup,  draws 0.60 amps at idle, and draws 0.2 amps in standby mode.

My 4B-ST PRO draws 4.84 amps  at startup, 0.60 at idle, 0.1 amps in standby.

The startup surge is very brief and hard to see on the meter. It took several tries, letting the amp bleed down between tries.

I don't have an SST amp, but I assume it would be similar to the 4B-ST. It looks like the 8B--ST doesn't have a soft startup.

Jet,
  What kind of current meter do you have? I may try to buy one and test it on mine. My neighbour also complain that his 15amp circuit trip quite frequently, so maybe it's the problem with the breaker.

When I switched the unit on on the 20amp circuit, I first see the red light on both side of the front switch, there's some kind of "grinding sound", and then the red light turn into greenlight (in less than a second) and the unit stay quiet. Certainly the unit looks like it's working normal.

When I switched on the unit on the 15amp circuit, I first see the red light, and then the unit just die because of the trip.

cheers
   barry

95bcwh

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2006, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Toriod power supplies will have huge in-rush current for a short time (less than a second) The 4B has a Soft-Start circuit to limit in-rush current to under 15 amps.

When running maximum current draw of a 4B SST at 8 ohms at full power is 8 amps. At 4 ohms 16 amps.

james

James, thanks for taking the time to personally respond to me.
I have called up Bryston support in the US, I explained to him what I observed during the startup, and his opinion is that the unit appears to work ok, and if the trip is happening at my house's circuit breaker and NOT on the 4B-SST's breaker, then it should not be a problem.

Best regards
barry

jethro

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2006, 09:11 pm »
Barry,

I have a fluke 322 current meter. I'm not sure where you are located, but I bought mine at Sears in Canada. I think it was approx $150 to $200 Canadian. Please be careful.

saea501

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2006, 07:41 pm »
I run 2 3BSSTs, a 2BSST, an Adcom 5200 and my Krell processor on a 20 amp circuit without problems. If you are opening a 15 amp breaker on turn on I think there is something wrong.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jun 2006, 07:47 pm »
I run a higher power 2-channel amp (Jeff Rowland), a 9B 5-channel amp, a QSC 2-channel amp, a digital one-channel amp, a preamp, an active crossover, a DVD player, a 57 inch RPTV, and more (cable TV box, Replay box, charger for my Ack Dack), all one one 20 amp circuit.  Now, I do stagger the amps when I turn them on, but the JR and the 9B now come on at about the same time; the digital amp is always on; the QSC comes on later.

95bcwh

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jun 2006, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
I run a higher power 2-channel amp (Jeff Rowland), a 9B 5-channel amp, a QSC 2-channel amp, a digital one-channel amp, a preamp, an active crossover, a DVD player, a 57 inch RPTV, and more (cable TV box, Replay box, charger for my Ack Dack), all one one 20 amp circuit.  Now, I do stagger the amps when I turn them on, but the JR and the 9B now come on at about the same time; the digital amp is always on; the QSC comes on later.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I went to Walmart yesterday and found a power strip with 15amp breaker. I plugged this breaker into the 20Amp circuit, plug in the 4B-SST, turn it on, and the 15amp breaker didn't trip!

So, do I trust the two 15amp breakers on my home electricity panel or do I trust this 15amp breaker from Walmart? I think I will trust Walmart for the time being. :mrgreen:

Rod_S

Re: Ouch! 4B-SST drew the first blood....
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2006, 10:46 pm »
I also live in an apartment and am currently running 2 4B SST's, a 6B SST and 2 Paradigm Servo-15's off of a 15amp circuit along with the rest of my gear all with no issues.

Thanks,

Rod