RCA and XLR

STEF

RCA and XLR
« on: 9 Jun 2006, 08:53 am »
Hi,

I am new "french" owner of réf.9 (and very satisfied)

A question concerning RCA/XLR Selector :
I would like to plug my HT Processor in the RCA and my HIFI preamp in the XLR. I noticed in the manual it is not suitable to connect both simultaneously.

If i take care of choosing the right input for the listenning, the other won't receive any signal. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
RCA and XLR
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2006, 09:12 am »
The selector is not a true switch as indicated in the manual. It only switches the ground wiring.
Why don't you connect the HT out to your preamp? Running out of inputs?

STEF

RCA and XLR
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2006, 01:30 pm »
Actually, there is no HT By-pass on the preamp. If I plug the HT out in 1 entry, the preamp will affect the signal otherwise I should wait for the NuForce P9 (when ?)

If i go "deeper" in my question :  is it just a "firewall" for NuForce to notice that point on the manual or is there a real technical risk for connecting both, but with only one which will receive the signal ?

Regards.

ndeslions

RCA and XLR
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2006, 03:32 pm »
You should not connect both, that's not good for the sound and / or the components.

flintstone

NuForce
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2006, 05:31 pm »
Quote from: STEF
Actually, there is no HT By-pass on the preamp. If I plug the HT out in 1 entry, the preamp will affect the signal otherwise I should wait for the NuForce P9 (when ?)

If i go "deeper" in my question :  is it just a "firewall" for NuForce to notice that point on the manual or is there a real technical risk for connecting both, but with only one which will receive the signal ?

Regards.

If your preamp degrades the sound by any large degree then that would mean that it's not that great of a preamp anyway...better to just use the prepro for everything IMO.

I've used this method (unity gain) many times in the past and so have many others when they don't have a pass-through input on their preamp...it works great "almost" always.

Free to try

Dave

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
RCA and XLR
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2006, 06:29 am »
He he he  :wink: , a little self promotion here:
Replace your prepro with AVP-16 which has a pretty good 2 channel CD mode when not using the AV section.
Then get P-8 or P-9 if you're not satisfy with the AVP-16 in 2 channel mode.

BTW, we're working on a marketing program to bundle AVP-16 with a state-of-the-art video switcher and a very good but low price DVD player which has very good CD/DVD-A sound.

In the US market, we're offering 75% credit for trading in P-8 toward P-9. We'll have to work it out with international distributor about trade-in program.