Anyone running a Squeezebox directly into a power amp

Eli

You may want to see the thread below.  Doesn't sound like it's a particularly hi fidelity setup:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24445

gitarretyp

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2006, 01:57 am »
I have not experienced this noise in my system nor when i had my squeezebox in a system with higher effeciency (~92db) speakers. My SB is modded and i've never heard a stock SB, so that may make a difference (though i would expect the noise floor to be higher in the modded unit).

Now, what you should be worried about is the "white noise" bug (search white noise or white noise of death on the slimdevices' forums). I've experienced this one first hand, and it's not pretty (sudden maximum output white noise). Thankfully, the SB output will not clip my amp and my speakers can handle the power.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2006, 02:01 am »
I've been running my SB2 directly into my power amps since day 1 and have never had any high frequency noise problems. One thing that I have noticed is that some of the wireless SB's can produce noise when in wireless mode but are substantially quieter when switched to wired mode.

Another difference is that my SB2 has been modded and does not have the opamp on the outputs and thus has about 1/2 the output level of a stock SB, allowing the volume control to be run at a higher level (less noise).

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2006, 04:05 am »
I've got a SB3 and a Benchmark Dac 1, Rowland M501 amps and my Sony SS M9ED speakers.

I'm more confused than ever whether or not I should be using a preamp and if I should use the SB3 analog volume control or digital volume control or be purchasing a preamp?!

I want the highesst perfromance possible.
How should I be using this device?

Thanks,
Bill

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2006, 04:26 am »
Quote from: mr_bill
I've got a SB3 and a Benchmark Dac 1, Rowland M501 amps and my Sony SS M9ED speakers.

I'm more confused than ever whether or not I should be using a preamp and if I should use the SB3 analog volume control or digital volume control or be purchasing a preamp?!

I want the highesst perfromance possible.
How should I be using this device?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

You should use it however sounds best in your system :wink:. If the unit is stock, then i'd say keep the dac (and mod the digital out). If the unit is modded, you should try with the dac and direct analog to your amp and see which you prefer. Mine sounded clearly better direct to the amp than through my pre (modded sonic frontiers line 1 se). However, i've also tried it through a Dodd battery pre. If i owned the dodd, i'd probably use a pre between the SB and amp (ie, if you have a really good pre, it may sound better through the preamp than direct).

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:25 am »
I've been running wireless direct to amp with a modded SB2 and high quality linear power supply. Never have had any noise problems as described. Have yet to try the SB2 via my preamp.