A couple of questions about the timepiece

Double Ugly

« Reply #40 on: 14 Jun 2006, 03:23 am »
Hi Bill,

Yeah, the sample tracks are terrible, and I'm sure your "eMachines" speakers didn't help.  

BUT...

The CD itself is superbly executed IMHO; very well recorded, engineered and produced.  If you like easy-listening piano, you're gonna love this.  

Do you still have the Continuums?  You *really* need to hear this recording via a late-model pair of SP Techs.  Good stuff.  :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jun 2006, 03:29 am »
Hi Jim,
 The Continuums have been sold but are still here. They are going to a recording studio but I still have to build the amp that is going with them. The customer said I could keep them on display till he comes down to pick everything up.

Thanks again for the heads up on the recording. I like relaxing music but there is not a lot of it out there that is recorded well. Especially piano.

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jun 2006, 03:30 am »
DU and Russell (and anyone familiar with the record brand)--What other titles by Great Big Island are good? I am ordering the Point No Point and thought I might as well get some other good ones together. And which ones are recorded by Russell?

Double Ugly

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jun 2006, 05:06 am »
Quote from: Response Audio
Hi Jim,
 The Continuums have been sold but are still here. They are going to a recording studio but I still have to build the amp that is going with them. The customer said I could keep them on display till he comes down to pick everything up.

Lucky you...get the sale, and keep the speakers  :wink:

Quote from: Response Audio
Thanks again for the heads up on the recording. I like relaxing music but there is not a lot of it out there that is recorded well. Especially piano.

You're welcome.  

It's the first and only CD I've recommended in The Music Circle, and I did so because it's next to impossible to find solo piano recordings that capture the essence of the instrument.  The piano on my Count Basie XRCD sounds as real as real can get IMO, but Basie's work is a world unto its own.  For solo work, this is the best I've heard.

Quote from: Bica
DU and Russell (and anyone familiar with the record brand)--What other titles by Great Big Island are good? I am ordering the Point No Point and thought I might as well get some other good ones together. And which ones are recorded by Russell?

Sorry, but I have only the one CD...perhaps Russell (or others) can be of assistance.

To take the topic even a bit farther off course, have you heard Russell’s work on Romeo And Juliet, Suite No. 2?  If not, I suggest contacting him about getting a copy.  It’s the equal of Point No Point, but on an orchestral level.

bhobba

« Reply #44 on: 14 Jun 2006, 05:38 am »
Quote from: Daemon
What are they like at low level

Remember they were designed for near field monitoring so at low levels they must shine - or else they are not doing what they were designed for.

Thanks
Bill

Daemon

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jun 2006, 12:12 am »
Thanks all, I think all I need to know now, involves the business end of things from Sp Tech. I'm fairly well convinced.

bhobba

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jun 2006, 01:27 am »
Quote from: Daemon
Thanks all, I think all I need to know now, involves the business end of things from Sp Tech. I'm fairly well convinced.

IMHO you have chosen wisely.  Just remember you can always save a little by getting them in RAW MDF and having them finished exactly how you want.  

Thanks
Bill

Daemon

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jun 2006, 07:30 am »
I'll have to wait to see about that, until after SP Tech get back to me. I don't know whether it's a decision I can afford yet.

The raw MDF may be a viable penny saver, Bill. If it comes that close to the line, I'll be sure to enquire if the difference would be sufficient to save the day. I can certainly do my own veneering and painting if I have to.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:57 am »
Bill
Let me know what you think when you get the recording. Thanks for your interest.
Bica
None of the other recordings on Great Big Island are by me but I have an arrangement with them whereby I can sell that one at the same price as they, but those interested in the Romeo & Juliet recording (there was a flurry of interest a few months ago) which I am permitted (by the conductor, who owns the rights) to sell can order both at the same time through me and save postage.
I have sent you a private email with details, Bica.

I was hesitant to continue with the derailment and also have been frantically busy mixing a jazz CD for which the release party has already been advertised. Needless to say, there's pressure.