Long-term review of my RM40s

john1970

« on: 2 Jun 2006, 04:56 pm »
To all,

About six weeks ago I received my RM40s through Scott Mayo at Obsession Audio.  After quickly solving a couple of initial QC issues the speaker started to shine.

RM40 Specs:
1) Upgraded mid-bass (speaker has dual WCF Megawoofers)
2) Auricap upgraded capacitors
3) Std. lite oak finish with Soundcoat
4) FST Tweeters

Other equipment:  NAD C372 integrated amp and NAD 502 CD player

Listening position: 9 feet from speaker about 1 foot from the back wall.
Speakers about 5 feet apart.  Room dimensions / layout prohibit an equilateral triangle.  

Updated Review:

Vocals are absolutely amazing.  Listen to any recordings by Sarah McLachlan or Norah Jones and you will swear that they are in the room.  

Two of my favorite tracks for vocals are:

1) The acoustic version of Possesion on Sarah McLachlan's Fumbing Towards Ecstasy (last song on the album NOT listed on the back cover).

2) Come Away with Me by Norah Jones (title track of album)

Mid-range resolution is excellent and transients strart and stop on a dime.  Two recordings for testing mid-range include:

1) Respighi Pines of Rome (Louis Lane conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) Telarc CD-80085

2) Copland Billy the Kid (Michael Thomasconducting the San Francisco Symphony) RCA 82876-65840-2.  

Bass is fast and tight.  The above recording of Copland's Billy the Kid has some excellent orchestral bass.  If classical music is not your cup of tea other tracks for testing bass include:

1) Eric Clapton Piece of My Heart (track 8 from Back Home)

2) Enya Amarantine (track 2 from Amarantine)

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase.  My dealings with Scott and Brian has been excellent.  I plan to listen to this speaker for the next 20-30 years.

Thank you Brian for making a musical speaker at a reasonable price.

Best,

John

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2006, 08:35 pm »
Good review, John!  I've been away getting married, traveling to Italy, etc., and I came back and finally had a chance to listen to my RM40s (using a Bolder-Cables-Modified Squeezebox through an Ack Dack 2.0 DAC), and I was blown away by the clarity and detail of the RM40s.  Also, the imaging is spot on, particularly if you place some Realtraps microtraps between the speakers.  I was listening to some Johnny Cash where another what I thought was one woman joined him.  With the RM40s and this set up, I could hear at least two women, and I could visualize they're (and Johnny's) locations around the mic.