Tact 2.0S channel balance question

tdangelo

« on: 29 May 2006, 03:17 am »
I noticed that in my setup my left speaker is a little louder - imaging moves a little to the left.  I measured the output of my amps at the binding posts with a DVM.  I used the test tone from the Tact test menu.  When I'm in bypass mode both amps output the same reading using the test tone - when I'm in correction the left channel is louder.  To equal the channels I have to attenuate the left by 1.5db in the Tact level menu.  Any ideas why??  My dedicated audio room is symmetrical with equal room treatments etc...  Any ideas why when in corrected the left is louder??  

Thanks

Tony

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2006, 09:25 pm »
Short answer, no, haven't noticed this.  I have the same preamp... but I have noticed that if the microphone isn't perfectly centered (within a mm or so) and aimed up at a perfectly straight angle (also centered) then it will put a slight delay on one channel vs. the other....  like .02ms or so.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2006, 09:37 pm »
You can use the dual domain screen to see any differences between the L/R channels.

The TacT will correct for the exact situation you are talking about so there should be no need to do what you are doing.

As Carl stated, you need to make sure that the mic is properly between both speakers when you make a measurement.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2006, 10:20 pm »
hmm... the mike was centered and angled properly but correction still makes the left channel louder - guess I'll have to try remeasuring again.  In bypass the output of both amps is the same - weird.. If I don't lower the level of the left side 1.5db the imaging shift to the left side - its noticable to both myself and my wife.  I'll measure again some day soon.

thanks!

Tony