Is there such thing as "Audiophile" vehicles?

95bcwh

« on: 28 May 2006, 01:09 am »
At least one is coming:

2007 Lexus RX350, featuring Mark Levinson 7 channels system!

It's time to do a test drive :mrgreen:

eric the red

« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2006, 01:16 am »
Anyone who has ever heard a Ferrari run (wail, sing, shriek) might say that quality automotive sound has been around for quite awhile :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2006, 01:27 am »
My Infiniti M35x plays DVD-Audio and DTS in 7.1 multichannel, using 14 speakers and discrete power amplification.  It sounds great.  I have a hi-end home audio/theater system (see gallery and or system) and this car system is as good as I've heard in the car.  The Lexus Levinson system sounds good, too, but no better really.  And the GS doesn't do 5.1, just 2 channel and faux surround.  Only the LS and IS have done it right (and for the past year; Acura's had it for 2 yrs+).

Surround in automobiles is a good use of the technology.  The environment is pretty good acoustically, and sure makes longer drives worthwhile.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2006, 01:35 am »
I'm with ETR on this one. These is no music quite like a V-12 going through the gears. :)

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2006, 03:58 am »
Amen to that, I had one follow me home last night, and as he passed me, I had the windows down and the radio off.  :wink:

I'm in the process of installing yet another audiophile quality in my current vehicle.  It'll be modest but sound REALLY good.
 :D

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2006, 05:09 am »
Quote from: unityaudio.ca
Amen to that, I had one follow me home last night, and as he passed me, I had the windows down and the radio off.  :wink:

I'm in the process of installing yet another audiophile quality in my current vehicle.  It'll be modest but sound REALLY good.
 :D

Whenever I see a Ferrari in Los Angeles (where I work all the time), I immediately roll down the window and turn off the radio to hear it.  :mrgreen:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2006, 05:20 am »
That, and some classic American muscle.  :D

eric the red

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2006, 05:57 am »
Quote from: unityaudio.ca
That, and some classic American muscle.  :D

The new Mustang GT and Vette have a great sound :wink:

warnerwh

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2006, 06:21 am »
Give me a new Z06 Corvette any day over anything.  I'd like to see the new ZO6 fitted with a supercharger making say an easy 650 horse with 600 ft lbs of torque in a 3200 pound car.  

It will sound as good as any car on the street.  My favorite sound at a track though has to be a nitro burning funny car.

eric the red

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2006, 06:46 am »
and don't even get me started on motorcycles...the Triumph triples and my own VTR1000 V twin...... :hyper:

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2006, 07:43 am »
There's the Bugatti with Burmester audio and the Aston Martin Vanquish with the Linn system.

Older Mercedes SEL/SL with the $10k Becker (1990 basis) was a killer system too.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2006, 12:31 pm »
Twin 454s resonating off the water . . .  that's an engine song I love. Hopefully tomorrow! :D

95bcwh

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2006, 02:20 pm »
Quote from: eric the red

Whenever I see a Ferrari in Los Angeles (where I work all the time), I immediately roll down the window and turn off the radio to hear it.  :mrgreen:

It's hard for me to believe that Italian sport cars could ever command such high respect among Americans. I thought we all prefer Corvette to anything else :lol:

Historically Britain makes better cars, until several years ago, most Formula-1 racing cars (including Ferrari!) were made in England.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2006, 03:41 am »
Surround sound is ok in the car... if you are watching a movie. If you are not watching a movie you want two channel (duh). I recommend in any car to just turn the fade all the way forward, and maybe the balance to the right a titch. At first it will be weird but you will end up with something like a soundstage and just plain old better sonics, much more definition.

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2006, 04:35 am »
I concur, even with non-surround, I think having rear fill is the stupidest thing in the world.  :P

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2006, 11:51 am »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
Surround sound is ok in the car... if you are watching a movie. If you are not watching a movie you want two channel (duh). I recommend in any car to just turn the fade all the way forward, and maybe the balance to the right a titch. At first it will be weird but you will end up with something like a soundstage and just plain old better sonics, much more definition.

Hopefully you guys are only talking derived or faux surround here, whcih I concur with.  In REAL 5.1 or 7.1 surround (as in DVD-Audio or DTS 5.1), do not turn off the surrounds or you'll be missing actual music info.

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2006, 03:07 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=4

Olds 455..engine totally redone this past winter, engine is much nicer now than the pictures I took last year and put in the gallery.  I guess I need new pics.

The engine now sucks so much air I had to change from a Quadrajet to a Holley 750 w/dual vacuam secondaries.  New air cleaner/intake as well.

New timing chain, Eutectic pistons, cam, roller rockers, headers/exhaust, heads (hardened seats, 3 angle, ported, "C" heads), Crank remilled to .001 etc...

Now has about 400 HP.

It's getting it's break in oil change today.

Ran it in the heat this past week and it runs fine until I get to highway speeds for awhile, then starts to run hot.  Looks like I might need a new radiator soon :-(

Car is a blast to drive though...

Stereo is a Pioneer for receiver/CDP and Pioneer speakers...

Stereo is low-fi, but the engine sounds high fi  :mrgreen:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2006, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.

Hopefully you guys are only talking derived or faux surround here, whcih I concur with.  In REAL 5.1 o ...

Ted, yes, Im referring to 2ch faux surround.  Having rears is a must for 5.1, wouldn't live without them!  8)

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2006, 10:59 pm »
Rob:

That is a sweet ride! Years back a friend managed to buy an absolutley mint Olds 442 with that engine. Man, that sucker could push you back in the seat.  :lol:

Hogg

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2006, 01:12 am »
If you're truly and audiophile, you're spending all of the extra cash on gear.  So you're driving this: