Interesting observation

Wayne1

Interesting observation
« on: 30 May 2003, 03:32 pm »
I was listening/watching the Ecic Clapton DVD (One More Car One More Rider) the other night when I noticed that the cymbals were sounding very harsh. All of the high frequencies were kind of brittle and slighty "spitty"

I had the lights down low and I was trying to figure out what had gone wrong.

I hadn't changed any cables for at least a week :)

I had pretty much dialed in the 626Rs over the past month to the point they were really sounding good.

I let another track play and then I couldn't stand it any more. I turned on the light and then I saw the problem!

The front left Responce Controller seams, top push pins had come out and the s,eam had folded over. I heaved myself off the couch, found the push pins,  lifted the seam back in place, inserted the pins, and finally, after all that hard work, sat back down and hit play.

The sweet sound of the FST tweeter was back. All the harshness was gone!

Frankly, I was amazed that just the one misplaced seam had such an effect on the sound.

I thought about it for a little bit and realized that I had tuned the speakers to the room with all the Responce controllers in their proper place. When something changed, the seam falling over, the reflections were able to bounce around and cause the harshness I heard.

If you have not yet addressed your room acoustics, YOU NEED TO!!

I am one very happy camper using the Eighth Nerve products. This little mishap just reinforced, to me, what a great job they do of taming my room.

MaxCast

Interesting observation
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2003, 03:37 pm »
That's what you get for cranking that big ole sub!! :lol:

hairofthedawg

Interesting observation
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 07:57 am »
Congrats Wayne!  I wish I could use push pins, but the walls are too hard.  I'm having my maid sew the velcro on to the cushions to eliminate the problem of them falling off whenever there's a wind.  I definitely notice the difference when they fall off as well and am still amazed that such a small piece of whatever it is has that much of an effect.

cheers,

Dick

Jay S

Interesting observation
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2003, 08:17 am »
Wow, makes me wonder how different the effect may be compared to my Echobusters (which seem to be 2" thick acoustic foam mounted in a wooden frame, covered by a soft fabric)...

I also use velcro to attach mine to the walls, but my velcro is just adhesive-backed and is stuck to the back of Echobuster panels.  

For the most part, I am the maid!!   :P

nature boy

Interesting observation
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 11:59 am »
I guess its time to break these out of the box before my b-day.  Maybe tonite after everyone's asleep.

NB

Soundscape HiFi And Music

• http://www.soundscapehifi.com
Interesting observation
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2003, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
Wow, makes me wonder how different the effect may be compared to my Echobusters (which seem to be 2" thick acoustic foam mounted in a wooden frame, covered by a soft fabric)...

Well, if you lived in our area, we would gladly allow you to bring it home to compare against your Echobusters.  We did just that to a customer with some Corners, and he has come back for more, and has recommended it.  They work great around cornices in corners too :)  At least he's happier now with his Sonus Faber Cremonas in his small room.  Just a bit more should complete it ...

Of course, don't take our word for it to heart, as we are dealers.  The Corners alone can make a big difference in a problem room, and it's a small investment.

WilliamL

YUP!
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2003, 05:45 pm »
JR and folks: Good to hear from you!

Yes, and our prices at Eighth Nerve are very inexpensive compared to ALL  the other competition. (Of course, as I probably mentioned one hundred times before) we think that our products offer the best performance regardless of price as well.  8)

In fact our products are priced so well that even die hard DYIers order from us: Why not!? We also offer our customers and dealers total support with customer questions, room diagrams, and other services—we also run a hi-fi store in Nashville too. To us it’s a business AND a hobby that we love.

OK…Enough PR. I just had a feel good moment.

Cordially,
Bill