Artists who started out on a creative high only to burn out?

Captain Humble

« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2006, 11:33 am »
Christopher Cross

No question about ZZ-Top.
My wife and I once went to a ZZ-Top concert with three other couples.
Three of the four males (including me) feel asleep during ZZ-Top's performance.  Listening to the same three basic melodies all night gets very boring.
Jeff

Scott F.

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2006, 12:02 pm »
Quote from: mjosef
How about Elton John? Isn't he like a shadow of himself today? And maybe David Bowie?

I agree completely about Elton John. Tumbleweed Connection and some of his earlier works were great but he hasn't done anything worthy since the 70's.

On the other hand if you haven't heard Bowies recent release Heathen (2005 I think), this is the best work he's done in decades. It really is good. He's found his 'edge' again, at least with this album.

Heres some samples
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065V1V/sr=8-1/qid=1148817612/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0998429-3631145?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Oh, and its availible on vinyl  :mrgreen:

gitarretyp

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2006, 02:25 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.

On the other hand if you haven't heard Bowies recent release Heathen (2005 I think), this is the best work he's done in decades. It really is good. He's found his 'edge' again, at least with this album.

I thought Earthling was a pretty good Bowie release in the recent past. Not his traditional style but very enjoyable.

PhishPhan

« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2006, 03:39 pm »
One of my favorite bands, Jethro Tull, fits this bill. All their work up until Songs From the Wood were great. The 80s and 90s stuff is a struggle to get through. Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery are my favs; I've got a soft spot for really long songs. :oops:  :D

bunky

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2006, 09:49 pm »
David Bowie has never lost his edge, he time and time again reinvents himself. my god! this man has as much talent as anyone has a right to.his music is so ahead of everyone else that Ziggy Stardust still does not sound dated. in case you couldnt tell i am a big Bowie fan! thanks....WCW III

ohenry

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2006, 10:24 pm »
Heart :cry:

Marbles

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2006, 10:57 pm »
Boston

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2006, 03:54 am »
It would be easier to name bands who HAVEN'T lost their creative edge.  I think it's the natural way that it works - you start off with great stuff and then  over time you start to suck.  The longer you continue to put out records the more mediocre they become.  I don't think it can be avoided.  Every band manages to start making boring records and the original fans start giving up on them.  It would seem to make more sense to quit when you're ahead, but it doesn't usually work that way.  Perhaps it is impossible to be aware of one's own suckiness.

mjosef

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2006, 04:33 am »
I agree completely about Elton John. Tumbleweed Connection and some of his earlier works were great but he hasn't done anything worthy since the 70's.

Well, its been a while since I tuned into Bowie, I think after Scary Monsters, he kind of 'disappeared' (at least to me), and my musical interest kind of drifted off...I may just check out 'Heathen'...I always thought he was the coolest cat back in the day.
[/quote]

mcrespo71

« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2006, 05:29 am »

Agreed, Heathen was an excellent return to form for Bowie.  And I do own it on vinyl. :mrgreen:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2006, 07:39 am »
Quote from: nathanm
It would be easier to name bands who HAVEN'T lost their creative edge.  I think it's the natural way that it works - you start off with great stuff and then  over time you start to suck.  

... and then they go into some kind of limbo for 15-25 years playing the "smaller" venues until eventually they attain new novelty simply because they are still doing it almost as well as they ever did, sometimes better.

Like Cream last year at Royal Albert Hall:
http://www.rhino.com/retrovid/VideoKeeper.lasso?Artist=Cream

For those who were young when they were young - it gives us hope!