Squeezing an Olive: fact finding mission on Olive music serv

Gordy

Squeezing an Olive: fact finding mission on Olive music serv
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jun 2006, 02:23 am »
I did the same, formated to NTFS so EAC would be happy  :?   Here's a link with the Fat32 download... http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=8d65deb75a139ae88e4f016ed0e1e1a5&showtopic=4581

Wayne1

Re: Squeezing an Olive: fact finding mission on Olive music serv
« Reply #61 on: 2 Jul 2006, 12:35 am »
Vinnie is correct in saying that applying dampening material to the case quiets things down a lot.

I ended up using close to 12 sq. ft. of material but the hard drive noise in no longer a consideration.

Here are some comments on a listening session with a modded Musica

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29216.0

One annoying thing I found with the Musica is that for the first five minutes or so after you turn it on, it is backing up all it's files. As it is doing that, you really can't play any music without it breaking up. I believe there is a menu change for this, but I couldn't find it very easily.

Gordy

« Reply #62 on: 2 Jul 2006, 04:13 am »

One annoying thing I found with the Musica is that for the first five minutes or so after you turn it on, it is backing up all it's files. As it is doing that, you really can't play any music without it breaking up.

I haven't had that problem with my Symphony (155 cd's loaded / 30% free space), but it will have a single dropout within a minute or so immediately after importing a cd, or within 3-5 minutes if I've imported multiple cd's.  For no other reason other than it was all I could think of, I associated it with the compression process. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #63 on: 18 Jul 2006, 02:49 am »
Hey EchiDna ....How about making this thread into a sticky. Going to be quiet a few of these Olive's out there now, would be nice to find this thread quickly so people can get answer's to their question's. Thanks.... 8)
Chris

Carlman

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jul 2006, 01:28 pm »
In all the posts I've read about this Olive... I can't seem to find where anyone mentions how people control the Olive's playback.

Is everything done through the tiny menu on the front with a remote?  Or, do you have a laptop in your soundroom connected to a control panel for the device?  (Like the Slimserver browser application)

The one thing I'd miss going from an Audio PC to an Olive is the ability to 'see' my collection... If there was a 3" screen 8 feet away, I'd lose all visibility.

Thanks and sorry if this has already been covered...

-C

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #65 on: 18 Jul 2006, 01:48 pm »
Carl.......
Is everything done through the tiny menu on the front with a remote?
Yes....it does have a feature that enlarges the screen to see it better. But the SB does have a larger view.You can also control it by the button's on the unit.
You could try this for distance reading...or ....this for a close up view.... :lol:
Its really not bad....and its very easy to rip, and play music. So far....I like it !!! 8)
Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #66 on: 18 Jul 2006, 03:09 pm »
Hi Guys,

Olive told me that they are currently working on the software that will allow for the use of a wireless PDA as a remote or something like the Telcanto.  They might even come out with their own remote with built in LCD.  I'll post more details as I get them.  :hyper:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #67 on: 18 Jul 2006, 07:08 pm »
If you use an (additional) external drive, (like this, BTW, for $89 http://www.buy.com/prod/Fantom_Titanium_250GB_7200RPM_USB_2_0_External_Hard_Drive/q/loc/101/10384871.html) can you specify what songs are saved in which drive (built-in or add-on)?  If you can, it may be a way to be able to back  your flac files by copying the add-on drive to another medium through PC.  Then rotate the other ones to the external add-on drive and copy again.  No?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Squeezing an Olive: fact finding mission on Olive music serve
« Reply #68 on: 19 Jul 2006, 02:58 am »
Instead of buying an Olive, why not just use a modded Squeezebox, an external hard drive and a laptop? EAC is really not that difficult if set up properly using this tutorial. http://www.carltonbale.com/projects/cd_audio_extraction/

No remote is as user friendly as having a small laptop with the contents of your music library neatly laid out before you. The laptop can also serve other functions that another black box on your rack can't.

ehart

« Reply #69 on: 19 Jul 2006, 03:43 am »
Well, the Squeezebox is really a nice solution.  It was the main alternative I considered before I bought my Olive, and does have some features the Olive lacks.

Here are the reasons I went with the Olive (your mileage may vary depending on your needs):

1. My regular CD player was on it's last legs.  I needed something my wife could stick a CD in and just play (no ripping, no nothing).  The Olive does that.  You can stick the CD in and it starts playing; one step.  Try that with EAC.

2. I need to record tapes and LPs to either CD or direct to the hard drive.  The Olive does both of these things -- it includes a CD burner, and it has analog inputs (like a tape deck).  The Soundbridge doesn't help with recording at all -- you have to figure out some other solution.

3. I have limited space near my audio gear, and could not figure out how to get a CPU, keyboard, and monitor into a useable position and still keep my wife happy.  Likewise I didn't want something noisy near my audio gear (no fans allowed).

4. Cost.  A 250gb Musica was cheaper (or certainly no more expensive) for me than the SoundBridge option (especially with John Casler's "group buy").  Because of my desire to record, I would have bought a dedicated music server (Mac Mini or something similarly small and quiet) and placed it on my audio shelves.  I couldn't use a laptop, because I would need a better sound for analog input, which would likely be an additional couple hundred dollar purchase.  There is the cost of the Soundbridge itself.  Would require a flat screen monitor.  Because of my requirement for "one-touch-no-rip" playback option, I would also have had to buy a CD player and find space for it.  You get the picture.  You can certainly go very cheap with Soundbridge (for many, just the unit itself is all they need), but this isn't true for everyone.

Well, you get the idea.  These are both great options.  You need to think about which works best for you. 

Cordially,

Eric

studley

« Reply #70 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:10 pm »
Does anyone know whether, if you  plug an external USB Hard Drive into the Cambidge 640, it can directly play music from that HD ?   In other words is it readily expandable using external HDs?

maxwalrath

« Reply #71 on: 20 Jul 2006, 01:44 am »
Aparently I'm dense, but I can't adjust the volume manually on the Musica. The dual toggle knobs, which look like the only option for volume control, just control scrolling through the menu and library of music.

Gordy

« Reply #72 on: 20 Jul 2006, 01:52 am »
Hey Max!  There are two buttons on the remote that control volume, just to the left below the OK button and just above the speaker icon!!!

maxwalrath

« Reply #73 on: 20 Jul 2006, 02:28 am »
Hey Gordy, how's it going? I found that one...I am looking for a manual one as well, but it is looking like there isn't one.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #74 on: 20 Jul 2006, 03:29 am »
Hey Gordy, how's it going? I found that one...I am looking for a manual one as well, but it is looking like there isn't one.

Hi Max,

In the Menu go to "Settings" and then "Play Mode."  Then go to Line out volume and it will let you adjust it from 0 to 20.  You'll also see the option to adjust the headphone output level.

Best,

Vinnie