Group Buy for OLIVE Media players for VMPS'ers

95bcwh

Re: Group Buy for OLIVE Media players for VMPS'ers
« Reply #80 on: 22 Jul 2006, 03:46 pm »
John,
  How noisy is this Opus? I was told that it's dead quiet, whereas the musica can produce some audible HD noise... can you confirm?

Thanks
  barry

Hi Barry,

Well when you first put a CD in the drive, it makes noises, and the first 3-4 CD's I played I could hear the CDR drive, now it is silent and I sit only 5-6 feet from the unit.

HD noise is only evident, when it is "converting" to FLAC or what ever the process is after "importing" a few discs.

I can't speak to the MUSICA HD since I don't have one in my system.

And by the way, I finally got my "internet Radio" hooked up and it is fabulous!!! :thumb:

I sat for at least an hour, just listening to the unbeleivable "electronic soundstage" of a HITS station.  It has been a long time since I enjoyed radio over my system.  It was magical.  And the system "sorts" the stations by "bit" quality/quantity which helps you select the better sounding stations. :green:

I'm going to sit 3- 4 ft away from it. Can you still hear any noise from the HD? I'm not really worried about the noise of the CDR because I will never play from the CDR, I will either play from the HD or stream the flac files wirelessly through my PC. Thanks and best regards
barry

blackhook

« Reply #81 on: 22 Jul 2006, 07:48 pm »
Hi Phil,

I think the only reason to use the OPUS "digital" out is is you have one of the handful of DAC's that might be better than the onboard DAC.

The phrase "lossless audio streaming" is likely not refering to the "digital output" but the ability to "stream" music throughout the house via the network.

So I would suggest using the "analog outs" of the OPUS directly to your preamp.

The DAC in the OPUS is incredible (so far), and equal or better than most anything I have heard critically, to date.

John,

Much obliged ...thanks for clarifying!

-Phil

John Casler

« Reply #82 on: 22 Jul 2006, 09:17 pm »

I'm going to sit 3- 4 ft away from it. Can you still hear any noise from the HD? I'm not really worried about the noise of the CDR because I will never play from the CDR, I will either play from the HD or stream the flac files wirelessly through my PC. Thanks and best regards
barry

Hi Barry,

Hard for me to tell right now.  The HD "IS" making sounds, even when nothing is playing, because it is converting the CD's I have recently imported into FLAC files.

So, if I play something on the HD now, I can hear it, because it is busy performing this conversion as well as playing the selection.

For HD play only, I don't know, and won't, until I get this back up of "imported" CD's converted.

John Casler

« Reply #83 on: 22 Jul 2006, 09:22 pm »
Earlier someone mentioned that they felt the unit ran hot and I would suggest that, while we may be in a heat wave, the unit does seem to get quite warm.

I would not put it "inside" an enclosed cabinet, and I would place it at the top of any equipment stack, with plenty of air space all around it, and maybe even extra height blocks under the feet to let cool air in under the unit. 8)

95bcwh

« Reply #84 on: 22 Jul 2006, 09:47 pm »
John,
  Really appreciate your honest coment, do keep us update on your experience with the Opus. I'm particular interested to know if playing from HD sound better than playing straight from CDR.
  Thank you and best regards
   barry

barry

Hi Barry,

Hard for me to tell right now.  The HD "IS" making sounds, even when nothing is playing, because it is converting the CD's I have recently imported into FLAC files.

So, if I play something on the HD now, I can hear it, because it is busy performing this conversion as well as playing the selection.

For HD play only, I don't know, and won't, until I get this back up of "imported" CD's converted.

MauiMods

« Reply #85 on: 22 Jul 2006, 10:22 pm »
Earlier someone mentioned that they felt the unit ran hot and I would suggest that, while we may be in a heat wave, the unit does seem to get quite warm.

I would not put it "inside" an enclosed cabinet, and I would place it at the top of any equipment stack, with plenty of air space all around it, and maybe even extra height blocks under the feet to let cool air in under the unit. 8)

We should be happy it runs nice n' hot!

MauiMods

« Reply #86 on: 22 Jul 2006, 10:32 pm »
Anybody got pics, they can email me of the insides of the Musica or Symphony????

jewishamerprince

« Reply #87 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:46 pm »
I'm about to jump into the water on the Musica, but before I do I'd like to hear some comments from people who have gotten one and are using it in a high end system. I intend to use the Musica as my sole transport source for my system (and entire house). For my main system it will digitally drive a Benchmark DAC1.

My main concern is the slightly limited 96db dynamic range spec of the Opus. None is stated for the Musica, however, I'm sure the Musica isn't any better than the Opus, I'd be surprised if it were. I've been finding on my system that transports with dynamic range of under 100 db tend to sound a tad bit compressed by comparison to those over 100db.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2006, 01:19 pm by jewishamerprince »

Wayne1

« Reply #88 on: 23 Jul 2006, 03:23 pm »
Oh and my friend and fellow VMPS dealer, Wayne at BOLDER has an excellent Mod package for the MUSICA, which has been reported as an excellent sounding package.

He now has the details listed on his site:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Detail?no=380

Thank you for the mention, John.

Here are a couple of comments about the sound of the modded Musica vs stock and in comparison to a $2000.00 CD player

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29216.0

I would like to offer a 20 % discount on the mods to the Musica to the members of the VMPS Group Buy.

Just enter code SA2020 on check-out.

If anyone wishes to be a beta tester for mods to the Opus, please contact me PM or E-mail

jhm731

« Reply #89 on: 23 Jul 2006, 07:16 pm »
Has anyone compared the Musica, Opus and Cambridge Azur 640H Music Server
off their digital outputs?

Tim S

« Reply #90 on: 24 Jul 2006, 04:01 pm »

I think I saw on one of these threads that the Olive units have a volume control and so one could go straight from them into amps, bypassing a pre-amp. I would appreciate it if those getting units could try this and see how it works. I've been considering getting a passive pre anyway but if this works as a good pre-amp as well and I can bypass my pre-amp, that might free up enough $$ to go for the Opus or to get the Musica almost for free.  :D

Tim

MauiMods

« Reply #91 on: 24 Jul 2006, 07:39 pm »
Tim, The Opus CAN NOT be used as a Preamp, Due to the fact it has a seperate Dac card installed from resolution Audio.
with in the at Dac Card, it contains the TCXO. It is tapped in to the cuircuit using the AC97 audio Codec Spidf output to provide the  RA card its data, then the Analog  Rca outputs are disconected from the AC97 outputs, then the RA dacs  analog outputs are connected directly to the Rca outputs.  Volume control is controled by the AC97 chip, so the Musica or Symphony are the only ones that can be used as a preamp.

Anthony

John Casler

« Reply #92 on: 24 Jul 2006, 08:49 pm »
That seems to be true, although I have not tried the volume control with the MUSICA.

I have found that the volume control on the OPUS does not allow you to change the volume from the Analog L&R outputs.

John Casler

« Reply #93 on: 24 Jul 2006, 08:58 pm »
Had a small amount of time to listen over the weekend to some of the cuts from the HD.

WOW!  is all I can say.

The thing that stood out was a Classical work I had from a CD recorded in the early 70's on Duetche Grammaphone (sp)

It was a 2 mike recording of Night on Bald Mountain.

I have NEVER heard it sound so real.

The size of the hall especially the depth was opened up and the instrumental soundstage of the Orchestra was flawlessly reproduced from 7th row center.

It was great.  Arthur Fielder and the Boston Pop, at their finest. :green:

gostan

« Reply #94 on: 25 Jul 2006, 02:33 pm »
I note that the Opus has an 8 bearing frame around the harddrive to dampen vibration and hum.  I am assuming that this will provide a quieter playback from songs archived on the HD, than would the Musica, which does not appear to have this benefit.  Harddrive sounds/noise would appear to be a very important factor/issue with these new music server cd players.  Has anybody listened to both a Musica and an Opus to be able to comment on HD hums from either of them?

95bcwh

« Reply #95 on: 25 Jul 2006, 09:52 pm »
I have found that the volume control on the OPUS does not allow you to change the volume from the Analog L&R outputs.

Then what is that big volume knob for? What a shame, the cheaper Musica can do volume control and the more expensive Opus can't do it? :o

jewishamerprince

« Reply #96 on: 25 Jul 2006, 10:10 pm »
I note that the Opus has an 8 bearing frame around the harddrive to dampen vibration and hum.  I am assuming that this will provide a quieter playback from songs archived on the HD, than would the Musica....

Is that something that is a benifit, or perhaps just a requirement of the physically larger HD in the Opus? 

I assuming by queiter what you mean is external noise of the Hd and wether this would be a factor to any of us could largely depend on the placement of the device. 

I'm starting to have some misgivings due to the reports of heat. The Symphony/Musica/Opus is a small package with a large HD in it in any variety. The major contributor to HD falure is heat.  I'd just hate to have 800 CDs worth of music lost in the event of a HD crash.  Can this thing be backed up in any way like a computer?

John Casler

« Reply #97 on: 25 Jul 2006, 10:31 pm »

Then what is that big volume knob for? What a shame, the cheaper Musica can do volume control and the more expensive Opus can't do it? :o

Hi Barry,

Actually there is no "Volume knob" on any of the units.  The volume is a remote control only function.

I am not sure if the OPUS will have that ability in the future, but it is my understanding that the lack of control is due to the requirement of the better DAC in the unit. (I could be wrong, that info was not from OLIVE)

Some hesitated to aquire any of the units, because they felt the volume control "detrimental" to the signal, so I guess this gives you a choice.  Many times, when going for higher levels of signal purity this would be a design goal, and more expensive units would have "minimal" signal path interuptions.

John Casler

« Reply #98 on: 25 Jul 2006, 10:35 pm »
I note that the Opus has an 8 bearing frame around the harddrive to dampen vibration and hum.  I am assuming that this will provide a quieter playback from songs archived on the HD, than would the Musica....

Is that something that is a benifit, or perhaps just a requirement of the physically larger HD in the Opus? 

I assuming by queiter what you mean is external noise of the Hd and wether this would be a factor to any of us could largely depend on the placement of the device. 

I'm starting to have some misgivings due to the reports of heat. The Symphony/Musica/Opus is a small package with a large HD in it in any variety. The major contributor to HD falure is heat.  I'd just hate to have 800 CDs worth of music lost in the event of a HD crash.  Can this thing be backed up in any way like a computer?

Hi Jerry,

Hope I didn't scare anyone with my heat comment :oops:

It doesn't get that hot, like an amp, but it is warmer than any CDP.

And yes, the unit has USB ports to connect to outboard HD's for backing up all your files.

95bcwh

« Reply #99 on: 25 Jul 2006, 10:53 pm »
Oops. sorry John, maybe I've made a mistake.. but I was looking at the very first post of this thread where you showed a picture of a black Opus.. there's a big black knob on the right hand side.

Well, maybe as you suggested, the reason why Opus sounded so good is because it doesn't have a volume control.

May I know what preamp are you using right now?

rgds
barry