music maker relief foundation

drphoto

« on: 29 May 2003, 02:13 pm »
Here's an interesting link.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/musicmakerstore/info.html

I heard about this on NPR this morning. I want to try some of their recordings.

mojoman

« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2003, 02:38 pm »
The Music Maker Relief foundation is a really cool project.  There offices aren't to far from where I live.  I have a few of their cds and they try and capture the raw blues sound and do it very well.  A lot of their offerings are acoustic blues.  Some that I have and could recommend:

Lightin' Wells - Ragged But Right - Wells plays in the Piedmont blues style of Rev. Gary Davis.  He plays a lot locally, excellent guitarist.

John Dee Holman - Bull Durham Blues - Mostly John playing and singing solo.  John's from Chapel Hill and plays a lot at local festivals.  Taj Mahal plays on one track.

Guitar Gabrial - Volume 1 - More old school blues. Unfortunately, Gabrial died a few years ago.

Cool John Furgeson - self titled - This one is the an exception to the acoustic blues flavor of most of the Music Maker artist.   You'll hear a lot of Hendrix in his playing.  He plays nearly every weekend somewhere in Durham and he can smoke a guitar.   His live performances blow me away.

This is a great foundation and Tim Duffy is a great guy.   I would encourage everyone to support his cause and buy a few cds.