FR125 project

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« on: 14 May 2006, 07:48 pm »
Well I finished my first pair of XBL^2 motored speakers, and I'm happy with them. Here's a few pics I want to share, and my own listening impressions. 3/4" MDF, 1/2" external route and interal route for the driver, as well as a single internal brace. Paint is Rustoleum Hammered in dark grey. Exodus Long Binding Posts on the back. Very nice bullet proof posts.

The paint came out with a much better texture as I did closer and heavier coats. A little too heavy on the top of one, but overall as good as this paint can get. You can still see very small lines where the sides were joined, but those appeared a week after the paint was applied. It should be noted that the boxes were smooth enough to not feel any gap, so this is simply an artifact of the paint soaking in, or the glue taking more time to set.

A couple of the pics show you how the texture is on the boxes. With that internal brace they are very dead. The binding posts are quite nice too, and I sealed those with o-rings.

As for how they perform....

They love power. Lots of it. To fill a room with sound you better have 25-30W to push their power rating, but I bet 50W total per speaker would be better for peaks. But that's just me. Those cones can move too. I did some 20-80Hz sine waves and they move so much you'd swear they'd fall apart, but they don't. If they move several mm listening to music, it's not something to worry about as they'll move twice as far. I used my Promedia 4.1 amp to drive them and highpass them for some music, and I nearly ran out of headroom on the volume knob. Really ran out of gas. My Prioneer ProLogic receiver in stereo mode had plenty of poop though.

For a 4.5" driver that's meant to cover the full spectrum of music, they do surprisingly well. High frequencies are definitely present past my threshold of hearing (18-19khz), but seem a little soft. The bass is very much present, more than the box cutoff of 90Hz (sealed box) would have you believe. Placing them closer to a wall and for computer use a sub should not be neccesary for easy listening. For gaming, a sub would be nice for those explosions and car engines though.

The midrange is SWEET though. Very smooth. It's been said these have a very 'cohesive' sound to them and the lack of any crossovers also benefits the sound. I could agree with that. But being a full ranger, they do have their limits. High frequency dispersion is limited to +/- 15 degrees, and the bass will not pound your room. But for the price and what they can do, they are very nice. Even giving more power seems to not harm the music with massive distorition. Another nice attritute is the imaging, which is superb. Left, right or center or anywhere in between it's easy to locate stuff.

Music used:

Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Telarc recording: where the midrange and violins shine, Very nice to listen to.

Albert Cummings - True to Yourself: The bass and treble is lacking on the recording, so not a fair comparison of the drivers, but sounds as good as it can get without applying a sub or loudness contour to make up for it. Using loudness on this the FRs do nicely.

Waterworld Soundtrack - Swimming track: The instruments used on here really show the imaging power, sounds very natural.

Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland: Very good way to destroy lackluster speakers. Better use a sub and a highpass, but they do surprisingly well at moderate volumes.

Bottom line: Classical stuff does well on this, but for music where more bass is present such as electric blues/rock, it's nice to have a sub. Treble detail is slightly lacking. Good domes or planars trounce it, but that's to be expected, right? For my computer, I'll like them, but for filling my room I'm planning on a Exodus CX12 sealed sub to go with them and for movies.

doorman

FR125 project
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2006, 10:27 pm »
Great job!
 I love the paint. Is this product sold in a spray can?
                                                               Don

SET Man

FR125 project
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2006, 10:39 pm »
Hi,

Congratulation on your new speaker!  :D

Yup, I must say the you did a nice paint job there. I like the color very modern techno look. As for the joint lines.... how long did you let the glue dry before you paint them?

Hmmm.... maybe I should paint my ugly DIY speaker.  :lol:

Well, enjoy.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2006, 11:32 pm »
I got the paint at Ace Hardware in spray can form. Before I started priming them it was about 2 days. One day clamped, one day sanding, the next day priming, then painting the next.

Brad

FR125 project
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2006, 03:06 am »
Nice job.

I was thinking 5 of those plus a sub would do a great job for home theater.
I'm a lot more focused on 2 channel, but getting tired of the speakers in the TV......

Add that to the Pioneer setup Carlman found on closeout...hmm... :idea:

JoshK

FR125 project
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2006, 03:08 am »
Looks good. Bose killers?

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2006, 04:26 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Looks good. Bose killers?

I don't see why not.

That's not hard to do though from what I've read.  :lol:

HeatMiser

FR125 project
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2006, 07:10 am »
Very nice job.

What internal volume did you go with?

Kevin Haskins

FR125 project
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2006, 12:02 pm »
Great job!   You are a wizard with the spray can.  

The hardest part of painting any MDF enclosure is getting the joint lines not to show.    If you know you are going to paint a miter joint can help at finish time as the line is at the corner.

The FR & WR are both in need of power.   I'd recommend 50W as a good baseline.  The high frequency capability of the driver is mainly limited by the fact that it is a 4" driver.   You get narrow dispersion in ANY full range driver based upon the size of the driver.   In a multi-way design you would typically cross it over no higher than 3.5K due to the narrowing dispersion pattern.  

I'm still working on a small loudspeaker but it is an active design.    I just couldn't live with the limitations of doing a passive design. ;-)

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2006, 04:18 pm »
Thanks guys.

I went with 7 liters sealed. Q ~ .75. At first the joints didn't show the first few days. These are only the second pair of boxes I've made. The first ones I did right before these were boxes for my AV-1 clones. Same paint, but textured worse as I did not paint close enough. The joints show a little worse. These FR125 boxes included what I've learned building those, and came out better.

I didn't think about a miter joint as I don't think I had adequate tools to do it, plus clamping seems like it'd be more difficult. On my next boxes I'll experiment with veneer.

Complete pics of this project (and my AV-1 clones in another thread) can be found here: http://www.oc-rev.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744

Al Garay

FR125 project
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2006, 12:00 am »
Very nice work on the FR125s.

Regarding your choice of subwoofer, I would aim higher and go with the EX12 driven by the ADA300.  Check the older thread where Kevin and Brian discuss the CX and EX woofers.  

Have not read or heard much about these woofers. The EX15 with ADA600 should make a killer combo in a small sealed sub.

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2006, 02:08 am »
I dug through the old thread and read it. My main reason was to keep a small box and reasonably priced. A Rythmik 350W amp combined with a CX12 is a much cheaper than the EX12 and smaller than a 15" setup, with the ADA amps. I'll be stuck in an apartment for the next couple years at least and I don't need to irritate any neighbors too bad.  :mrgreen:

Al Garay

FR125 project
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2006, 02:23 am »
why not get the full rythmik kit for $350-379.

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2006, 05:05 am »
I suppose that would work well too. Looks like a nice kit.

Kevin Haskins

FR125 project
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2006, 04:02 pm »
This is a good time to give an update on the Exodus Subs.

Obviously our production goals have been blown out of the water.    We are more than a year overdue.    Rather than going into all the details I'll just say we dropped the ball on this one... right on our foot.

We are still working to get the EX & CX series of subs released.   The parameters may change a little as we have shifted suppliers for some parts.  Our suspension has a little more linear travel; we are now using the 12-spoke Venezuela basket rather than the 4-spoke.   The motors are also a forged part rather than a stacked plate design.    All designs will be a dual 8 ohm VC arrangement.   The price is likely to be adjusted upwards for all models as this has been an expensive project and commodity prices continue to soar.   We have accepted no compromises though either in quality or choosing the best available parts and suppliers.    The drivers while not flashy will represent the best that we know how to build.  

Our TENTATIVE release date should be sometime late in July.   I say tentative because a lot of things can happen between now and then.

Another development that is going on is that we are going to be releasing a plate amplifier to go with our finished subs.    It is a close relative to the ADA1200 but we are probably going to give it an Exodus name.    There will be no provision for the extensive modifications that Dan provided (LT & dipole equalization circuit) but it will have the two bands of PEQ, 2nd & 4th order low-pass etc.     Also. It will be the highest-powered sub amp available on the market with a TRUE 1200W rating.    Other 1KW amps should tremble.    The bad news.... we are not going to produce an ADA300 or ADA600 equivalent.   The good news... the 1200W version is going to be less expensive than the ADA600 and close to the price of the ADA300 with a target price of $495.00.

Voodoo Rufus

FR125 project
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2006, 05:41 pm »
I thought to keep the costs of the drivers reasonable the 4-spoke was the way to go?

Nice to have an update, though.  :)

Kevin Haskins

FR125 project
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2006, 06:23 pm »
Quote from: Voodoo Rufus
I thought to keep the costs of the drivers reasonable the 4-spoke was the way to go?

Nice to have an update, though.  :)

There is really only about a  $1-$1.50 parts cost difference in favor of the 4-spoke.    The 12-spoke has a vented area behind the spider (that makes no difference unless you are running them as dipoles) and the 12-spoke looks cooler.    For all intesive purposes the two are interchangeable though.

Al Garay

FR125 project
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2006, 06:53 pm »
Hi Kevin,

You should start a new thread to discuss the new plate amps and sub changes.

Visited Port Angeles on Mother's Day. Took the family up to Hurricane Ridge visitor center. Very beautiful lots of snow. Ferry traffic was not fun coming back.

Kevin Haskins

FR125 project
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2006, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: Al Garay
Hi Kevin,

Visited Port Angeles on Mother's Day. Took the family up to Hurricane Ridge visitor center. Very beautiful lots of snow. Ferry traffic was not fun coming back.

We ran over to Silverdale to treat mom to an Olive Garden lunch.   They had the wiat at 1hr when we crossed the Hood Canal.    We are lucky in that most of the time the busy side of the ferry schedule is going the opposite direction we are moving.   I've never had to wait more than 30-40 minutes except the time the dock was damaged.  

Hurricane Ridge is nice... I love backpacking but with four small children I just don't get out there like I used to.    I'm planning a trip to walk across the Olympics this summer though.   I think I'll have my wife take me to the south side and walk home.

kfr01

FR125 project
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2006, 02:06 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
Hi Kevin,

... ?