My Timepiece 2.1 Odyssey (aka I Hate Audio Trips)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2006, 03:42 am »
"Model : Timepiece 2.1"...same on old and new photos....I think mine says 2.0....but I can't confirm now...their not here now... :?

Double Ugly

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2006, 03:49 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
"Model : Timepiece 2.1"...same on old and new photos....I think mine says 2.0....but I can't confirm now...their not here now... :?

I think I see where you're going now...

The link I posted takes you to Bob's announcement of the new back plate for the MRS speakers in March of this year.  Yeah, the back plate is significantly different than on my (and your) "old" 2.0s, and hopefully I'll get a picture of the two side by side tomorrow that will clearly show their differences...at least externally.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2006, 03:50 am »
since I imagined my monoblocks would be smaller, like Nuforce or Bel Canto, I was going to put them directly under the speaker in a compartment the top of which formed the top plate of the stand. Although still short, my speaker cables would have to be twice as long this way.
On the other hand, we're talking basically 2 foot vs 1 foot!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2006, 03:54 am »
Yes....thanks Jim. 8)
    Chris[/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2006, 03:56 am »
Quote from: Russell Dawkins
since I imagined my monoblocks would be smaller, like Nuforce or Bel Canto, I was going to put them directly under the speaker in a compartment the top of which formed the top plate of the stand.
I wonder if anyone else has done this ? Good idea....bad idea...don't know ????? :?

Double Ugly

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2006, 04:15 am »
since I imagined my monoblocks would be smaller, like Nuforce or Bel Canto, I was going to put them directly under the speaker in a compartment the top of which formed the top plate of the stand.

Just be sure to leave some room under there for vibration control!

On the other hand, we're talking basically 2 foot vs 1 foot!

Hmmm...I don't think I'd sweat that, Russell.  :wink:  :lol:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2006, 04:29 am »
Chris, I know someone did it a year ago in England with NuForces when they first came out. As usual, there was no double blind test to hear if anything went amiss, so jury's out. I know there was thought to be an issue due to speaker vibration when a Nuforce was placed on top of speakers , also a year ago, but circumstances were inconclusive.

Jim, I think I can come up with something that will make the amps fundamentally not coupled to the stands at all, at least in the direction that really counts - fore and aft. In fact, the physical coupling will be mainly the wires themselves.

Double Ugly

« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2006, 01:15 pm »
UPDATE:  I don't know if it's the caps settling in, the drivers loosening up or something else, but the tweeters seem to be hitting their stride.

From the first note – but before the "recession" occurred – the tweeters were pretty good, and Kandy mentioned hearing things in the mids and highs of some of our favorite recordings that she hadn't heard before.  I had to listen closely, but she was right.  The difference now is that the tweeter seems to have...I hate using this word, but...sweetened.  

That's *NOT* to say it sounds colored!  No, in this instance the word is meant to convey a more accurate reproduction of the sound of a real instrument, i.e. the midrange and (especially, I think) the upper registers are clear and defined without a trace of hardness or edge.  I’m getting that clean, unfettered flow of music that has become a hallmark of SP Tech, but it’s coming in a way that is so nice, so pleasing that I find myself wanting to play recordings emphasizing the mids and highs.  I hear nary a trace of edge, hardness or any other fatigue-producing phenomenon…just smooth, extended highs and a nice, liquid midrange.

My 2.0s are one of the most revealing speakers I've heard, but they still managed to present the program material in a way that was both pleasing and musical.  The 2.1s are already doing it better, and though others would probably think the differences subtle, I do not.  I've listened to the 2.0s almost every day for over 2 years, and I can say without reservation that is not the case.  If they get much better in the coming days and weeks, I may have to rethink my Revelation order.

Just kidding, Bob.  :wink:

I haven't listened to anything in the past day or so that would tell me what the bass is or isn't doing, so I'll try to find time to do that today.  I'll also try to take a few pictures that will be more representative of how they actually look.

In the meantime, I caution all those who are auditioning the 2.1s to wait before changing things or making any decisions about what they do or don’t do well.  Do NOT believe they will sound their best right away, and even if they do sound startlingly good right out of the gate, don’t allow yourself to be suckered-in.  If my experience is representative of what you can expect, they *WILL* change, and it may be for the worse before it gets better.

Carlman

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2006, 01:39 pm »
Jim,
A lot of what you're hearing I'm hearing as the TP2.1's break-in.  I expected this so, it hasn't really caused me any teeth-gnashing.  I haven't changed any cables or done anything but let them play.  They've settled down a good bit since I first started playing them.  They sound better every day... I'm waiting for them to get their 'final voice' before I evaluate them... which I think will be soon.. they sound GREAT.  

-C

Double Ugly

« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2006, 01:55 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Jim,
A lot of what you're hearing I'm hearing as the TP2.1's break-in.  I expected this so, it hasn't really caused me any teeth-gnashing.  I haven't changed any cables or done anything but let them play.  They've settled down a good bit since I first started playing them.  They sound better every day... I'm waiting for them to get their 'final voice' before I evaluate them... which I think will be soon.. they sound GREAT.  

-C

Hi Carl,

Yeah, I agree.  It's just that my speakers were played a lot more than the others before being shipped, and I had some reason to believe that little or no break-in would be required.  That has unequivocally been proven false, as no doubt you and everyone else who's read my meandering thoughts has surmised by now.

That said, I'm glad you're liking what you hear.  I am, too...now.  Again, it wasn't that it was so bad...aside from a few bizarre hours...but I know the potential...or I thought I did.  It's far too early to make any claims or assertions, but based on what I’m hearing now, it's possible they might actually exceed my expectations.

That ain't a bad thing.  :wink:

Double Ugly

« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2006, 03:03 pm »
Here's a better picture of the Timepiece 2.1, and this time it's beside my "old" 2.0.  Interested parties can now compare and contrast the aesthetic differences of the studio finish and the gloss black, but believe me...it says nothing of how much better the 2.1 sounds.

As before, click on the description to be taken to a hi-rez version.  I'll try to get a good picture of the back of the speakers soon...just for lonewolfny42.  :wink:

Timepiece Siblings

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2006, 03:07 pm »
Thanks Jim !!!! :notworthy:

mixsit

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2006, 03:41 pm »
I don't man. That wave guide just looks like it wants another 8. It's lonely I think. :sad:
 :mrgreen:
Wayne

Double Ugly

« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2006, 03:46 pm »
Quote from: mixsit
I don't man. That wave guide just looks like it wants another 8. It's lonely I think. :sad:
 :mrgreen:
Wayne

I agree, Wayne...that's why I've already paid for a pair of Revelations.   :mrgreen:

By the time I'm finished, I'll have a whole family of 8s.  :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2006, 03:47 pm »
Hi Jim,
  I really like the look of the studio finish with teh upgraded woofer. This is how my pair will be coming.
 When I do finally get the Revelations, this is how they will look also. I especially like the "copper" trim version Bob posted previously.

I don't remember, did you get wood sides or all studio. Very nice speakers Jim.

Double Ugly

« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2006, 03:52 pm »
Special edition for lonewolfny42....Timepiece Butts!  :lol:

Click on the title for the hi-rez version...

Timepiece Butts

Double Ugly

« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2006, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Hi Jim,
  I really like the look of the studio finish with teh upgraded woofer. This is how my pair will be coming.
 When I do finally get the Revelations, this is how they will look also. I especially like the "copper" trim version Bob posted previously.

I don't remember, did you get wood sides or all studio. Very nice speakers Jim.

Hi Bill,

I really like the studio finish, too...a lot more than I anticipated to be honest.  More importantly, CINC-House thinks it's great, which is never a bad thing.

You can probably see in the "Butt" photo that my sides are studio finish.  And yes, I also thought the copper trim was surprisingly attractive, and played nicely with the copper phase plug of the new woofer.

I’m a very happy man!     :drums:       :dance:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2006, 04:02 pm »
Thanks....nice "booty"... :lol:
    Gee....I had forgotten about the little red switch as well.... :?  (on the old TP 2.0's)....[/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2006, 03:28 am »
Listening to Jaco Pastorius being his inimitable self with Pat Metheny on Bright Size Life tonight, it's clear whatever time the woofer and/or crossover needed is winding down.

Also spent a great deal of time today with Michael Manring (Soliloquy) and Bela Fleck (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo).  Neither tonality, tautness, extension, slam nor musicality are an issue with the bass.

I'll say it again...I'm a very happy man!   :mrgreen:

Karsten

« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2006, 10:31 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Listening to Jaco Pastorius being his inimitable self with Pat Metheny on Bright Size Life tonight, it's clear whatever time the woofer and/or crossover needed is winding down.

Also spent a great deal of time today with Michael Manring (Soliloquy) and Bela Fleck (

Jim,

I think you will be surprised about the lenght of period where the tweeter continues to improve. It does not take a long time before they sound really good, but the good gets better...... :mrgreen:

Karsten