Older Omega 3 speakers

mcgsxr

Older Omega 3 speakers
« on: 9 May 2006, 04:52 pm »
Fellow local AC member Sarchi and I have exchanged speakers for a month or so, to see what the "other side" looks like!

I now have his striped mahogany Omega 3 speakers parked on my 24 inch Atlantis Reference stands, fed by my gainclone, and a Bolder modded SB3.

Sarchi is playing around with my OB DIY b200 Visatons.

I had the chance last night, while boxing up 3 sets of RAW speakers I have had for over a month, to listen to these Omega's at lower levels.

Nice highs, decent mids, and good bass - the room is huge, around 25x35x7.5... so it is unfair to expect lots of bass, but I am liking what I hear so far, especially on guitar tone.

These are the non-current slim baffle ones, from a few years ago, but the build quality is excellent, and they do sound good too!

Nice work Louis!

Sarchi

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2006, 03:52 pm »
I think my stands are 28", but Mark's listening chair is considerably lower..so probably about right.  It's tough to imagine a much better pair of used speakers
than the TS-3's, I paid $265 and they are in perfect condition. They really came alive for me when I mated them with a sealed 10" sub. (SI Super T is my amp)
(also note, my room is pretty small...)

As for the B200's, wow. These things are truly special. I'm happy they work well in my (small) room, I'll be knocking up a pair of these for sure. They remind me a
lot of the Lowther DX2's I had before in corner acousta horn cabinets. But with none of the horn induced room loading ssues. Outstanding.

Visaton B200's:

Sarchi

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2006, 03:53 pm »
Omega TS-3's, pre-sub:

Louis O

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2006, 10:44 pm »
Hi mcgsxr, Sarchi,

Many thanks for your post and the compliments regarding the TS3s. I’m really happy you like them and try placing them, on lower stands with a little tilt back and you will get some great bass this way.

The Obs look really cool and I have a few projects brewing with the B200. One is a floorstanding wide baffle A8 and I will try my own OB too. I have a set of PHY 8” here too and will A/B them in the OB. Looking forward to hearing what they can do.

Thanks,
Louis

mcrespo71

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2006, 01:21 am »
Quote from: Sarchi
I think my stands are 28", but Mark's listening chair is considerably lower..so probably about right.  It's tough to imagine a much better pair of used speakers
than the TS-3's, I paid $265 and they are in perfect condition. They really came alive for me when I mated them with a sealed 10" sub. (SI Super T is my amp)
(also note, my room is pretty small...)

As for the B200's, wow. These things are truly special. I'm happy they work well in my (small) room, I'll be knocking up a pair of these for sure.  ...

Beautiful vinyl collection, sir! 8)   It's nice to see someone who has more invested in software as opposed to hardware!

balanceofpower

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2006, 06:25 pm »
Those B200's look awesome! I hope to secure a pair for myself sometime in the not too distant future. It's funny the last poster mentioned spending more on software vs. hardware as it always makes me giggle when I see photos of multi hundred dollar thousand++ setups with less than a hundred or so total albums in the owner's possession.

Bemopti123

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2006, 08:48 pm »
I see someone who is in a higher plane when you have:

1-a wall full of vinyl.

2-are into hi efficiency + reasonable cost gear (check turntable)

3-the helmet and the model bike tells me that someone is into 2 wheel mods of transportation of the exciting and yet dangerous kind.

4-the sign in log being that of a famous American tube manufacturer.  

Go Sarchi, go. :mrgreen:

Sarchi

Older Omega 3 speakers
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2006, 03:58 am »
Thanks, it's a tiny room but I'm trying to make the most of it.

And thanks for not breaking my balls about the Barbie car!  :oops: