Tube rolling for SE9

kwhv

Tube rolling for SE9
« on: 3 May 2006, 07:09 am »
Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a SE9 amp and I'm thinking of tube rolling for the EL34 power tubes. I thought of using the 6CA7 tubes or the JJ E34L. The E34L has higher voltage rating than the EL34, so it is compatible to the SE9? Hope someone can enlighten me on the matter.

Thank you for your attention.

myoung

tube rolling in se9
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2006, 03:10 pm »
I've used the stock EH EL34s, the EH 6CA7s and the SED (from the old Svetlana factory) Winged C EL34s in the SE9 and prefer the SEDs. They're smoother, most musical, at least in my room.

I also swapped out the other stock tubes, replacing the 12AX7s with a pair of Mullard long plates and the generic Chinese 5AR4 with a Valvo 5AR4, made in Holland. If you haven't swapped those, you should think about it. The 5AR4s seem to last forever, and the Valvo seemed to make more difference in the sound than anything else, really smoothing the sound of the SE9, providing a lot of the "single-ended tube" sound.

myoung

tube rolling in se9
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2006, 03:10 pm »
I've used the stock EH EL34s, the EH 6CA7s and the SED (from the old Svetlana factory) Winged C EL34s in the SE9 and prefer the SEDs. They're smoother, most musical, at least in my room.

I also swapped out the other stock tubes, replacing the 12AX7s with a pair of Mullard long plates and the generic Chinese 5AR4 with a Valvo 5AR4, made in Holland. If you haven't swapped those, you should think about it. The 5AR4s seem to last forever, and the Valvo seemed to make more difference in the sound than anything else, really smoothing the sound of the SE9, providing a lot of the "single-ended tube" sound.

Mike

myoung

tube rolling in se9
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2006, 03:11 pm »

Mike

yeldarb

Tube rolling for SE9
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2006, 04:30 pm »
Changed rectifier to Mullard (used), made audible improvement.  Using Winged "C" EL34 and currently have ECC803S in 12ax7 spot.  Very smooth but detailed.  Also have tried GE 6681 (auto type rugged) which has a much punchier bass.  Upgraded power cord to a Volex.  Much bigger gauge and cheap.  Had a bit of low level hum and Norh sent me a larger power supply choke which I soldered in.  Helps greatly but you won't get it all out.

I like this little amp a lot and use it with television system, so it gets nearly daily use.  Have it wired to Madisounds BK16 horns with tweeters and a Partsexpress sub.  It is loud enough!  Meanwhile, my more expensive stuff sits, unused, in another room.