The Force is w/ me (Questions inside)

drcruz

« on: 26 Apr 2006, 12:57 pm »
Mike,

If you are around...

I recieved the Force pair and they seem to work fine, haven't been able to give a good listen yet though.

They look NICE. With the spikes they currently sit on top of 2" Timbernation matching Cherry platforms (  :mrgreen: total geek out). Your stuff is my first step into High-End (Mid-End?).

I did measurement experimenting w/ your test disk and I have the
Forces dialed in at ~70 db's at 20 Hz, crossovers set to 35 Hz.

(More geek out) I love your test disk, in that it's the first time I ever measured my room's accustic performance - and blast it, w/ out the subs,  I have a 10 db hump at around 40 Hz in my room. I like I said above I haven't been able to listen to the Force pair together w/ my mains, but I hoping the new subs don't exagerate the hump too much. My last sub seemed okay, but I might have had the old sub's volume turned down too much to compensate (which might be why why I wasn't happy with it's performance).  

I'll obviously be doing more experimenting, anyway...

2 QUESTIONS:

1) Do you or anybody out there know what the "Midnight" feature on a HT Receiver does to the freq. range???

- I have an older Pioneer VSX-711, and my system sounds best w/ speakers set to Large and the Midnight feature ON. This bumps me out BTW, my car stereo sounds better than my home system when the Midnight feature is OFF.

- My speakers are 5 in-ceiling last generation SpeakerCrafts (www.speakercraft.com) - my last sub was the SpeakerCraft BaseX 12.
Suprisingly the in-ceiling speakers measure all the way down to 22.5 Hz @ 68 db.

- The new Forces are Y-Connected to the Center Pre-Amp Out and NOT the Sub Out connection.

2) Which is worse for the subs, leaving them off then turning them on when you want to use them - and getting that "thump" sound every time you turn them on...

-or-

...leaving them on all the time?

-or-

Doesn't matter they'll be fine either way.

The reason I ask is that even though the SpeakerCraft subs were designed to stay on all the time (it too had both the green and red power indicator), it died in less then a year.  Because of this, I kept the replacement off most of the time.

Another reason I kept the old sub off most of the time is that my simple HT system also does normal TV watching duties, and I don't need a pair of super cool subs to watch Fox News  :wink:  (the HT system is located in the Family Room).

Anyway, sorry so long and thanks for your time...  :)

Daniel Cruz
Oceanside, CA

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2006, 03:01 pm »
In terms of leaving the subs on, leave them on all the time. I have done that with every ACI sub I have owned

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2006, 11:37 am »
Daniel:

Your setup sounds nice . . . how about pictures?

I believe the midnight feature simply compresses dynamci range. The idea being this way you can turn the average level up a bit and not have the huge explosions etc wake up the rest of the house.

Leave em on all the time, they draw little at idle. I had one Titan that was only turned off a couple of times in about 9 years . . .

And I'd suggest trying the sub out on your rec

Have fun and show us some pics!  :D

drcruz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2006, 04:02 pm »
Alright your forcing me to GEEK OUT some more...

I'd suggest trying the sub out on your rec

Funny you should mention the "sub out", I'm waiting for the new Onix Emotiva Ultralights to come in. AFTER THAT I plan on hooking up sub out, but also experimenting w/ using the Left and Right out as well. I've already ordered a couple of more Y-conectors from you ;) . But who knows I might like the sound of the Emotivas doing cross-over duty.  

Right now when I run my old Pioneer in small the lowest cross-over point is 100 Hz and it sounds grainy and harsh (way too bright). This is why I'm running the speakers in Large, which greatly smooths out the sound.